News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On a sidenote what you think of these designs.

The East London Line Extension will plug the hole in the east to create a full circuit, but all stations are being renovated and new trains have begun to roll out. These are the first walkthrough-trains in the London and the UK similar to those found in Hong Kong. The new London Underground rolling stock will be share this development when it begins operation later this year.

Pics sourced from Flickr, taken by darkprince66, mattmuck4950, and [/b]tompagenet[/b]

3892157891_e41b61beee_b.jpg

3862236041_ba635d02a0_b.jpg

3959203921_6ef3a8b96c_b.jpg

3959943028_db26347050_b.jpg

That London Overground train is apparently derived from Bombardier's Electrostar family, which was originally an intercity train design that has been getting progressively metro-fied with each new design spinoff. (By the looks of things, pretty much every EMU Bombardier's doing these days is being built as permanently-married sets with open gangways.)

Under it's skin, the TR will belong to Bombardier's Movia family, and so their closest cousin in London would be the new London Underground S-stock trains that, per Wiki, appear to be following an almost-identical rollout timeline... first models hitting testing tracks now, and revenue service is due in 2010.
4035967210_6d760188d5_o.jpg

Bombardier is also making the Olympic torches:

Bombardier manufactured the torch components and sourced parts from different suppliers. The torch is made from anodized aluminum, stainless steel and a composite compound. Each torch weighs 1.6 kg, including fuel, which is a mix of propane and isobutane. The final components are assembled by hand, giving Bombardier employees a unique opportunity to connect with the Games.

I find it hard to believe you can't paint on stainless steel. As keiTHz pointed out, there are examples of painted stainless steel vehicles/products.

In any case, if the TTC wanted to make the cards red I don't think Bombardier would have trouble accommodating them.

These cars would look silly if they were red. Forget this 'homage' to the first bullsh**t, it would be ugly. Red accents MAYBE if they were subtle, but painting these cars red, any shade of red, would jus look silly.

Ahhhh.

But there's something to be said for those old red subways I use to ride as a child. I kinda of miss them to be honest with you.

I've never seen the red Gloucester cars look bad in any photo. I also find red streetcars to be Toronto icons, and think that the silver with red stripe new streetcars seen in renderings would be an unfortunate loss of visual identity.

These cars would look silly if they were red. Forget this 'homage' to the first bullsh**t, it would be ugly. Red accents MAYBE if they were subtle, but painting these cars red, any shade of red, would jus look silly.

They would? I don't think they'd look silly at all.

I've never seen the red Gloucester cars look bad in any photo. I also find red streetcars to be Toronto icons, and think that the silver with red stripe new streetcars seen in renderings would be an unfortunate loss of visual identity.

Agreed. Silver is nice, but somewhat generic.

so.. anyone out there feel confident to throw around some estimates regarding how long a new train needs to be at the test track before they ship down here? Are we lookin to see some action at wilson or greenwood at the end of november perhapse? The new bays at wilson are really being put up with some hustle recently..

so.. anyone out there feel confident to throw around some estimates regarding how long a new train needs to be at the test track before they ship down here? Are we lookin to see some action at wilson or greenwood at the end of november perhapse? The new bays at wilson are really being put up with some hustle recently..

Well, assuming that the timetable of revenue service starting in 2010 still stands, I can't imagine they'd be showing up at Wilson much before then.

I mean, assuming all the operational kinks are worked out in Millhaven, there's not really a lot of tasks prior to revenue launch that we could expect to occur here rather than there. I could see them using a train at Wilson for a bit of crew training on some of the changes with this class of vehicle (that emergency exit ramp, for one), and maybe installation of a few minor finishing touches like TTC signage inside. That's not going to require a train sitting in a corner of Wilson yard for transitnerd photo-edification for two-plus months. :)

Back