News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Adam Giambrone announced on his Facebook page at ~ 5:15 pm that the TTC will be "Launching new Toronto Rocket Trains at 11am Downsview Station." I assume that means tomorrow.

AFAIK the speed control TTC is implementing isn't related to ATC. It's much simpler.

The TTC's Speed Control System is pretty complex in that it is an independent overlay of the existing fixed wayside signal plant, but it is a far more simple system than something like SelTrac, which is a moving-block computerized ATC/ATO system.

For those keeping score, trainset #2 is currently parked on the west track in Downsview Station. I caught a brief glimpse of it a little after 8 this morning.

Dan

A report from the event is on its way!

TorRocketP1190418.jpg

Last edited:
It was a very well attended event today. Other than media, there were some regular people there to get a look at the new cars. Some of them just stepping off an arriving train and curious for a look. Four (I believe) speaches were made about the new cars detailing their background, features, advances, and effect on the system. After the speeches, media were invited for a photo opportunity outside and inside the new train. Once that was done, others were allowed on board.

I'm impressed with the new trains. Pretty stylish and feel comfortable inside. Some differences I noted between this set and the mock-up was of course the map, the cab colour scheme is black instead of off-white, and there are perch seats located behind the cab infront of either platform door. The perch seats might encourage blocking of the doorways, but if no one else but those occupying those seats is in front of the door, there should be adequate move for those boarding and alighting. A TTC employee, seeing our intrest, showed us a video he took of the emergency ramp being used on the front of the train. It deployed quickly and appeared to do so with little effort.

Two photos from the event today:

Last edited:
The destination sign is a little on the small side, but I guess that's okay because it's not like you don't know where the subway is already going.

I'm pretty sure I counted at least 3 mistakes in that very short article.

Lol!
-There are only 70 trains, not 78
-The total cost was around 3 times that
-The jobs were in Thunder Bay, not Toronto

Those are the mistakes I caught..

Lol!
-There are only 70 trains, not 78

A total of 78 cars are set to roll into subway stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina line by late-December into early-January.

That means 13 trains will be on YUS in January. Full delivery of all trains (420 cars) will take a number of years.

-The total cost was around 3 times that

True for the full set but this statement may refer to cars delivered. I.e. if we terminated the agreement today this is the amount we would pay.

-The jobs were in Thunder Bay, not Toronto

Many parts were sourced from the same places that supply car parts. Some of those are in the Toronto area. Even discounting those, the folks in Thunderbay who got the direct jobs from the Bombardier plant will use Toronto based banks, Toronto based grocery supply chains, etc. Trickle down definitely occurred back to Toronto so the statement holds true (jobs applies for 2 or more positions of any kind).

Is part of the TR parked in the tunnel? The TR looks shorter than the platform . And i noticed the new butt rest seat at the end of the TR where the cab is looks pretty cool!!

Back