News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's about time! Honestly, although we haven't had any acutual system expansion during the last few years the bus fleet was upgraded and now our subways! Not bad!

Is part of the TR parked in the tunnel? The TR looks shorter than the platform . And i noticed the new butt rest seat at the end of the TR where the cab is looks pretty cool!!

Yeah. The TR was hooked up to a T-1 train, and the T-1, and part of the TR was in the tail-track.

The TTC's new Toronto Rocket subway trains were unveiled at Downsview station on Thursday morning.

TorRocketP1190543.jpg

On hand for the unveiling were Toronto Mayor David Miller, Ontario Minister of Transportation Kathleen Wynne, federal Minister of Labour Lisa Raitt, TTC Chair Adam Giambrone, and Raymond Bachaunt, Bombardier President of Transportation North America.

TorRocketP1190469.jpg

TorRocketP1190421.jpg

The nose of the train is the first to feature a streamlined profile on the subway system. With only two driver's cabs on the train now, at front and back, the compartment extends from one side to the other. While the driver will naturally stay in the front of the train, the guard will move to the back.

TorRocketP1190418.jpg

TorRocketP1190529.jpg

TorRocketP1190509.jpg

TorRocketP1190500.jpg

Once Automatic Train Control has been completed, drivers will not be needed to control the train, but may become the door operators from this position, taking over for the guard.

TorRocketP1190521.jpg

The front features a rather underwhelming and low-res LED message board that announces the train's destination.

TorRocketP1190527.jpg

Really? Is this all they can manage? Lucky for us Toronto's tiny and simple system means that few people ever need bother checking this sign.

TorRocketP1190526.jpg

Inside the train there are several innovations, at least for Toronto. Behind the official party you'll see another low-res LED changeable message sign on the ceiling. It will most often be used to indicate the next station and on which side the doors will open.

TorRocketP1190490.jpg

Doors are framed by clear partitions that open up the visual space through train. Poles feature portions coated will anti-microbial paint.

TorRocketP1190499.jpg

Maps above the doors will indicate which station the train is at, and remaining stations before the terminal.

TorRocketP1190498.jpg

Spots near the doors outside the driver's cab sport bum rests.

TorRocketP1190502.jpg

Wheelchair tie-down spots feature quick raise-and-lower seats.

TorRocketP1190506.jpg

Space between cars was formerly wasted: articulations now mean people will be able to walk freely the length of the train for more even loading, and for more loading in total. The TTC expects to be able to move 10% more people on the line with the new trains, and possibly 30% more once Automatic Train Control is introduced.

TorRocketP1190534.jpg

The continuous open space in the trains looks very, very long. The following views look through the length of four cars.

TorRocketP1190511.jpg

TorRocketP1190513.jpg

The exterior of the trains is much smoother than the existing fleet, dispensing with the thousands of rivets in place of more aerodynamic welds.

TorRocketP1190530.jpg

While it is difficult to see the welds in this photo taken without flash, the following photo with flash highlights the welds.

TorRocketP1190536.jpg

TorRocketP1190535.jpg

The first Toronto Rockets will be in service early in 2011.

Last edited:
And people will be able to spread out throughout the train better, as well as the panhandlers.

But where's the lit up arrow that indicates which doors will open..

The front features a rather underwhelming and low-res LED message board that announces the train's destination.

Really? Is this all they can manage? Luck for us Toronto's tiny and simple system means that few people ever need bother checking this sign.

I'm just glad that they are finally getting LED displays. Now if we could just update our streetcar fleet as well...

Excellent video! Only 999 initiatives like this to go to bring the TTC back up to international standards.

The vidoes was great M II A II R II K, I really enjoyed it!

AS for the destination sign, I'm sure the size of the lettering can be easily modified, there's enough space for a larger sized font. Plus I'm sure if they used all caps, it would look better.

AS for the destination sign, I'm sure the size of the lettering can be easily modified, there's enough space for a larger sized font.

Not really, the bottom two lines are for instances they might have a station with descenders. Kippling comes to mind.

Plus I'm sure if they used all caps, it would look better.
It would however be more difficult to read.

Back