News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I dropped by Wilson Yard today and the TR was sitting out front. There were people inside the cab, presumably teaching/learning how to drive it.

Here are a few pictures I took.

800px-Toronto_Rocket_Front.JPG

800px-T1_and_TR

800px-Toronto_Rocket_Front.jpg

Is it me, or are the doors not a consistent distance to the end of the car?

Last edited:
reaperexpress: Yep, it appears so. Looking at the spacing of the other elements it appears all the trains may be built the same.

iafard: "Light Metro" is mostly a name some systems prefer to use for confusion sake, the system in Madrid for example is branded as a "Light Metro" but still uses LRVs while other use medium capacity vehicles.

Last edited:
Over the past century, the naming of rapid transit has not kept up. Subway, underground, or El relate to a characteristic of the system, not the whole. Heavy rail, in British English, refers to freight and commuter railways. Metro doesn't work too well either anymore, since these systems tend to run in the inner city rather than the suburbs.

I think in Asia they may be on to something: In many places, they refer to it as MRT, which stands for mass rail/rapid transit.

And once again, we get beat on the style front. Compare the sleekness and beauty of the Montreal train compared to our new utilitarian trains (from the outside at least) - :p

The Toronto Rocket will not the only trainset in Canada that will be one continuous space throughout the train. From the Bombardier press release at this link:

BT-PR-20101022-Montreal_Metro.jpg

BTW. Spacious interior for the Montréal Metro cars means it will have the same width as Toronto's new streetcars. Toronto heavy rail subway cars and the new Transit City light rail cars will both be wider. Don't know about air-conditioning for the new Metro trains.

They resemble our new streetcars. Probably with similar capacity too, i'd think?

re: Motnreal cars: The first prototype train will arrive in June 2013, followed by the base order deliveries that are scheduled to take place between February 2014 and September 2018.

Does this timeline seem a bit faster than our own TRs? I suppose they could have similar delays and issues too.

re: Motnreal cars: The first prototype train will arrive in June 2013, followed by the base order deliveries that are scheduled to take place between February 2014 and September 2018.

Does this timeline seem a bit faster than our own TRs? I suppose they could have similar delays and issues too.

I think there were already delays over the past few years, since competing companies tried to get the courts to open up the bidding process, rather than award it to Bombardier.

Worth mentioning that they haven't gotten any new trains since the mid 70s, and that they are still using original trains from the 1960s!

Worth mentioning that they haven't gotten any new trains since the mid 70s, and that they are still using original trains from the 1960s!
I think that's quite an incredible feat of maintenance. However it helps a lot that Montreal's system is never exposed to the outside elements like ours.

As I saw someone else say, I am glad to finally see the inside of the real thing - not just mock ups. Delighted to see the LED (?) TV screens. Does anybody know how many TV screens per car there are? In "Mark's" video (if Mark created it) I could see inside the moving train's windows - that each car seemed to have 2 TVs on one side. Does that mean there are 4 per car (i.e. 2 on each side)?

Ya gotta love those video screens !! I see Montreal's new order highlights this feature too! Anybody got an answer for the above?

As I saw someone else say, I am glad to finally see the inside of the real thing - not just mock ups. Delighted to see the LED (?) TV screens. Does anybody know how many TV screens per car there are? In "Mark's" video (if Mark created it) I could see inside the moving train's windows - that each car seemed to have 2 TVs on one side. Does that mean there are 4 per car (i.e. 2 on each side)?

Gotta love them video screens, eh? I see the press release for Montreal's new order highlights this feature too - good for them, eh? BTW, anybody got an answer for the above?

SB

Back