News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Maybe you're too wide? lol
TTC seats ARE narrow. I'm 5'8", 155 lbs (okay, perhaps I should be 150) and when I sit in a seat on a bus, my shoulder and upper arm touch the wall, and my other shoulder sticks well into the next seat. My build is very average. Subway seems only marginally better ...

TTC seats ARE narrow. I'm 5'8", 155 lbs (okay, perhaps I should be 150) and when I sit in a seat on a bus, my shoulder and upper arm touch the wall, and my other shoulder sticks well into the next seat. My build is very average. Subway seems only marginally better ...

553957024d1aa1c105665c353532.jpeg

At least you are able to extend your butt out into the aisle. They could replace them with wider seats at some future date if everyone gets too obese and complains too much.

At least you are able to extend your butt out into the aisle. They could replace them with wider seats at some future date if everyone gets too obese and complains too much.
Perhaps why it's not such an issue on the subway ... or perhaps my subway rides are normally pretty short so I stand if it's half-full, and my bus trips are 30 minutes, so I always get a seat.

The Toronto Rocket will not the only trainset in Canada that will be one continuous space throughout the train. From the Bombardier press release at this link:

The consortium comprising Bombardier Transportation and Alstom Transport signed a contract with Société de transport de Montréal (STM) for the supply of 468 metro cars (52 nine-car trainsets) to replace the MR-63 fleet, in service since 1966, and to optimize service. The contract is estimated at approximately $1.2 billion CDN ($1.2 billion US, 864 million euro). Bombardier’s share is estimated at $742 million CDN ($725 million US, 519 million euro) and Alstom’s share is estimated at $493 million CDN ($482 million US, 345 million euro). The contract will enter into force, and the final price fixed using the applicable exchange rate, when the usual steps of funding approval will be completed.

The new cars will offer all the characteristics of a 21st century metro:

* The next-generation metro cars will provide a range of new features for passengers, ensuring maximum space and safety, including:
o Open gangways allowing riders to walk freely from one end of the train to the other.
o A new spacious interior design with optimal and ergonometric sitting arrangement.
o A state-of-the art electronic passenger information system.
o New security features, including onboard cameras and a two-way intercom system connecting passengers with the driver and the control center.​
* The new design will increase reliability with proven propulsion and traction system technologies, and leverage environmentally friendly technologies, such as the well-known wooden shoe braking system.​

BT-PR-20101022-Montreal_Metro.jpg

BTW. Spacious interior for the Montréal Metro cars means it will have the same width as Toronto's new streetcars. Toronto heavy rail subway cars and the new Transit City light rail cars will both be wider. Don't know about air-conditioning for the new Metro trains.

Last edited:
But Toronto will be the first city to have an open gangway subway.!

Vancouver's skytrain and canada line trains already have articulated metro cars, and have for almost a decade. They're not continuous over the whole train though, they're in pairs as Vancouver changes the lengths of its trains.

That's not that bad, try fitting a 6'4" 230 lbs frame into one of those seats.

Vancouver's skytrain isn't a metro...They're LRV"s sub categorized to INNOVIA ART"s built by Bombardier.
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...advanced-rapid-transit?docID=0901260d8000a648

The Canada line trains aren't metro's either they're LRV's built by Hyundai Rotem.
http://www.rotem.co.kr/Eng/Business/Rail/Railroad/Product/rail1_pop12.asp

The ROTEMs are almost the same width, and only a few metres shorter than, TTC subway cars, significantly larger than Montreal's and they operate on a completely segregated right of way, no matter what you call them. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

The Skytrain is the same technology as the Scarborough RT, which is a light metro.

Lets hope we get to see our streetcars, as it seems like the election of Ford is imminent.

Back