News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

@tkip hopefully they will do something to the TRs in the final design stage (all the little details) before shipping out... i was thinking if they could come up with a new logo for the "red rocket"

Ah noctis, noctis, hopefully indeed And hopefully, something interesting to look at on the interior as well, like LCDs, instead of your neigbour puking on the floor.

Ah noctis, noctis, hopefully indeed And hopefully, something interesting to look at on the interior as well, like LCDs, instead of your neigbour puking on the floor.

u are really into LCDs aren't you! i mean whether they have it or not on the TRs does not really concern me cause sooner or later, kids are gona damage them and they'll have to be replaced.

u are really into LCDs aren't you! i mean whether they have it or not on the TRs does not really concern me cause sooner or later, kids are gona damage them and they'll have to be replaced.

Well, did you read my (lenthy) post a couple of posts ago? Everybody else in the world (i.e. Cities who consider themselves international and" in the game") seems to recogize their benefit; why shouldn't we?

With respect, I don't think that's quite right, Enviro. While the TRs may still have the station locator LED cards above the entranceway, any picture, representation, olr mock-up of the new cars that i've seen (and I'm dying to see the actual, as-built ones) show the LCD, or TV-type, montor screens, incorporated into the light diffuser boxes, but further down the car (as you suggest they should). I believe they will be above the windows on each side, not above the doors, as that would be distracting for the flow of passenger ingress and egress.

These are passenger information screens meant to assist people to get to their destination, especially hearing impaired. They will likely be similar to this screen on the Yamanote line in Tokyo.

0217.jpg

It can be used to tell people about connecting services at the next station, which door will be used, and service disruptions. The TTC isn't going to pay Bombardier to provide passengers Breakfast Television. Even if the aren't over the doors it will be passenger information and not entertainment.

These are passenger information screens meant to assist people to get to their destination, especially hearing impaired. They will likely be similar to this screen on the Yamanote line in Tokyo.

0217.jpg

It can be used to tell people about connecting services at the next station, which door will be used, and service disruptions. The TTC isn't going to pay Bombardier to provide passengers Breakfast Television. Even if the aren't over the doors it will be passenger information and not entertainment.

I don't know about that line (i'll go look), but did you check out any of the 5 others I listed? They are indeed passenger info screens, but they are multiuse, because the pics i've seen show a lot of other stuff too being shown on those monitors. Don't forget, if the new TRs have these LCDs as and where I said, they too can be multi-tasked as necessary with the right programming, antennaes etc., and they would be more than paid for by ads etc, and just general ridership enhancement. (check out the other cities' blogs on them)

from what i learned so far, the new TRs will have those kind of screens in the center of the train. and the LCD screens which will display the safety messages will be mounted on the ads section. they might display those information too, like which side door opens, which station is coming up, interchanges, etc...

@subwayboy i am not saying that we shouldn't, i am just thinking about the maintenance cost of these little gadgets...

Subwayboy, you can see the LCD screen on this picture above the window. Beside the blue ad.
img_3776.jpg

@noctis See the above pic earlier kindly provided to me by one the nicer chaps (like yourself) on this thread. If you zoom in on this pic (use your control key and your "+" key) a lot you will see the proposed LCD screen ( a little recessed) just to the left of the bluish ad. So, I don't think they're going in the "middle of the car", but rather along the side where the ads are in this picture. What do you think?

@subwayboy by middle of the car i was referring to the overhead display that tells u which side the door opens and what station we are currently at and what's next. mah bad. but yea answering ur question about the LCD screen in that photo, well it looks alright to me. i mean the rendered one i saw on the ttc website was soo small, so hopefully they make it bigger like the one EnviroTO posted.

If people want entertainment they should get a smartphone with a head set and download a video before hopping on the subway. The last thing I would want is a TV show on the subway and they aren't going to deliver TV when they don't even have a cell phone signal in the system. I don't want to be forced to listen to some programming that an advertiser wants me to hear. Arriving at work after a subway ride listening to "Head On, Apply Directly to the Forehead! Head On, Apply Directly to the Forehead!" would be complete hell. What value, beyond telling people about the next station and service problems, could these things provide?

"Head On, Apply Directly to the Forehead! Head On, Apply Directly to the Forehead!"

lol that just made my day =) anyways, getting back on topic, i like to keep things simple and to the point. the fancier these lcd screens get, the more likely they will be damaged and rarely yet, stolen. these new gadets are supposed to provide us with information, not entertainment. we have our homes for that.

The STM has posted the Request for Tenders document for their new subway, which has been linked in the Montreal Metro New Stock - MR-08 thread, the penalties section states:

A late of penalty of (i) $10,000/day for the first six trains and (ii) $5,000/day for all trains delivered after the delivery date stipulated for the last train of the basic order, the whole not to exceed 5% of the total price.

I haven't been able to find any documents from the TTC pertaining to penalties for late delivery, and we do know that the TTC has suggested there may be some. It would be interesting to find out whether or not such penalties would be applicable since a "third-party" manufacturer is at fault, and not necessarily Bombardier.

The STM has posted the Request for Tenders document for their new subway, which has been linked in the Montreal Metro New Stock - MR-08 thread, the penalties section states:

I haven't been able to find any documents from the TTC pertaining to penalties for late delivery, and we do know that the TTC has suggested there may be some. It would be interesting to find out whether or not such penalties would be applicable since a "third-party" manufacturer is at fault, and not necessarily Bombardier.

so this means that if the trains are going to be delivered in the summer of 2010 according to mr. ross, then the ttc might get paid between now and then?

Last edited:
Andomano whats going on with that TR in Kingston?

New Subway trains are still scheduled to go into revenue service in the spring! So lets hope they do!

Its January now, if the train was here today testing would take around a good 4 moths if not more and that is that there are no flaws or mechanicals issues found in them like we did with the T1 trains. So best scenerio might be early or late summer. Where did he come up with Spring?

The cars are being built by Bombardier in Thunder Bay.

The new trains were initially expected to enter service in late 2009, however as of February 2010, the TTC has yet to receive the delivery of the first train. The delivery schedule has been placed since then in a holding pattern due to the bankruptcy of a key part manufacturer. Curtis Doors, who made door components for Bombardier, went bankrupt in mid-2009, and as a result, manufacturing and delivery became delayed. Delivery for the project was to be completed by the end of 2011. However, it is unknown if this schedule will also require revision, due to the parts supply problem.

Brad Ross has stated on twitter that there are penalties. The fact that it's a third party does not matter; Bombardier is contractually obligated to provide vehicles on a certain schedule and is responsible for delays incurred by its subcontractors.

Back