News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

the screens on GO Trains are not GO Transit's concern. They were set-up and run by the marketing company. I requested that service delays, weather, time etc be shown on screen but GO Transit has no control over that.
GO gave permission for the installations. GO set the conditions for the installations. GO could have made this a precondition of installation.

At this rate it will be the contest to see what goes into revenue service first ... one of the new subway trains, or one of the prototype LRTs.

At this rate it will be the contest to see what goes into revenue service first ... one of the new subway trains, or one of the prototype LRTs.

I think I'd do well putting my money on a prototype LRT...literally, even.

My guess would be the LRTs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only 'customization' on the LRT vehicles is the gauge, correct? Everything else is pretty standard.

My guess would be the LRTs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only 'customization' on the LRT vehicles is the gauge, correct? Everything else is pretty standard.

Motors, turning radius, loading gauge, and ramps (and other things) are all non-standard and far more difficult to deal with than the track gauge.

Because the Bathurst hill, and the portals to underground loops, are far steeper than off-the-shelf LRT vehicles can handle particularly if one vehicle has to push a disabled one bnack to the yard. This is not a hypothetical problem; there is a reason why they don't run the articulated streetcars on Spadina or St Clair. If the latter, even getting into service can get a bit sketchy.

The ramps are non-standard because most LRT vehicles load at platforms, or at least raised curbs of some sort. The need for accessible boarding from street level is definitely not standard, and there is not always space for on-street or Ronces style platforms.

Really? I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. It is the TTC.

When they test drive, they really test drive looking for squeaks, rattles, noise, jerks, hesitations, flicker, roughness, power consumption, etc..

Given what W.K. said i bet we don't see them till late 2012 at this point. No source, just a feeling...of despair.

When they test drive, they really test drive looking for squeaks, rattles, noise, jerks, hesitations, flicker, roughness, power consumption, etc..
From what's been posted earlier, they are still test driving for more basic issues ... like the side of the train hitting the side of the tunnels ... which makes me wonder if there is a big problem with the centre of gravity on these new units ... must be top heavy from those video screens :)

I wonder if the accomodation for the articulation has increased "swing" enough to make fitting through the tunnels a bit sketchy. The technical drawings do indicate the nose end overhangs quite a bit further on the Rockets than the older cars, 8 inches or so. Although that doesn't sound like much when you're within a tight dynamic envelope that can make a huge difference. Especially if the suspension on the new cars is "softer" and the cars move more within their envelope. Given the tight curves in our system, I'm still not convinced articulated cars were the best idea.

I don't know if it would be a centre of gravity issue. The only thing above floor level is typically the air conditioning evaporators and ventilation equipment, and even the new cars have the bulkheads for the AC at the ends of each car. The heaviest parts, AC compressors and the electronics pack, are still below the floor. Again, though, even minor shifts make a huge difference when the dynamic envelope is as tight as it is.

Back