I quite like the massing...it's the choice of those horizontal salmon precast bits that is just so boggling.

Much more detail with this condo than other all glass ones...

It's a sea of precast panels and windows. The cornices are generic. The railings are ordinary vertical bar railings. There isn't much in the way of architecture with this project.

I never agreed with the design approach here, yet I didn't predict just how poorly the materials would work together in the design. There is absolute no harmony.

I'm as sick of all-window-wall towers as the next person, as of this year. Finally fatigued of them. But stone and brick veneer crap isn't the answer.

It's a sea of precast panels and windows. The cornices are generic. The railings are ordinary vertical bar railings. There isn't much in the way of architecture with this project.

So are you saying that a glass box like Bay-Adelaide East has more detail than this? Lol.

That's quite the straw man. The Bay-Adelaide Centre is marred by a noticeable lack of detail too. It doesn't matter what style of architecture a developer attempts. If they're not going to invest in architecture, it will show.

Both this condo and the Bay Adelaide Centre have attractive features. The precast and brick combination has a nice colour to it. There are many crisp lines to this condo's facade that are satisfying. The BA Centre's glass is impressive. But the lustre of the materials fades as they age.

There are many condos and office buildings from the 90s that were probably impressive in some way when they were built. Today, they seem dull and second rate. Glass fades. Mullions get discoloured or rusty. Precast concrete panels get weathered and stained. Architectural detail is important for lasting interest.

Last edited:
I have no problem with modern interpretations of classic architecture, so long as they're of the highest quality design, materials and proportions. eg: Tobias Nöfer and Stefan Forster Architekten design great "New Berlin Style" architecture. But for ****sake, be inspired by your local architecture not some generic parts bin stuff picked out of a tourist catalogue.
bwDzRGQ.jpg

133 Hazelton is an embarrassment. I imagine they were inspired by a tour around the Middle East, not a North American context. Or a trip to Paris. Toronto ain't beige & precast
Io1wheS.jpg

They don't even build crap like this in Montreal anymore
nxQFuRD.jpg

0hTFzQR.jpg

3kBAkep.jpg

eGQoH7L.jpg

What would New Toronto style look like? You know a trip around King & Spadina or King & Yonge remixed through the lens of a NimbyTect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live nearby and overhear passers-by discussing it. The more-money-than-taste Yorkville arrivistes are eating it up. It's a terrible building but I have to admit with a sigh that Mizrahi judged his target market well.

The ornamental grill on the door is a unique and interesting detail. The rounded corner entrance is quite elegant overall.

I also like that new Bay and Gable going up next to it on the side street. It's good to see continued interest in our vernacular styles.

I wonder what they are gonna list the house for at 129 Hazelton... terrible location IMO but will probably sell for well over 4.5 mill.

The second building is not an exact clone of the first one. There's a brown pattern that runs vertically on the precast, which the completed building doesn't have.

22753597072_5ccdb5a2f3_h.jpg

Sorry about the grainy cell-phone pics. I forgot my proper camera at home.

22741142166_99d0b0f43e_h.jpg

22146029893_d0059d3f23_h.jpg

The colour of the horizontal elements is also much less peachy than on the first building. This cladding is so far a definite improvement.

Actually, the cladding is a bit of a downgrade on 181 Davenport (second building) from 133 Hazelton. The former is using all precast materials, and the pieces right at the NW corner are chipped up to the fifth floor, while the latter uses natural stone cladding. Even along the Hazelton frontage they used real brick between the vertical cladding pieces for the first two floors. 133 Hazelton was marketed at a higher price point. The sidewalk is finally completed as well with some real nice paving stones (until the asphalt-filled utility cuts come along...)

Back