Miserable. I'm shocked that this sort of stuff still gets built in the 2010s.

I'm sure the rich buyers like it because it is safe and has the air of luxury like something Gluckstein would do. They will find satisfaction in the chunky mirrors and Rococo wall moldings of the interiors.

Do you really find it that bad ? Honestly I don't mind it, though I agree the roof treatment was a mistake, and clashes with the design. I do like the inset windows, the colour of said windows, and the precast that provides the contrast.

I'm not sure maybe I'm along on this ...

September 6 2014
2v96k5i.jpg

What an embarrassment. That said, it's not as if P+S or Mizrahi have proved themselves capable of anything better in the past...

I'm sure the rich buyers like it because it is safe and has the air of luxury like something Gluckstein would do. They will find satisfaction in the chunky mirrors and Rococo wall moldings of the interiors.

Good point. The same taste must be shared by those who build big stucco McMansions riddled with clashing "ye olde" decorations. I guess I'm not really as surprised as I'm disappointed.

There is so much wrong with this that I won't bother trying to list off how flawed it is, but please humour yourself and take a look at where the spandrel hiding the mechanicals meets up (or lack thereof) with the curve/kink in the precast of the roofline.

wouldn't it be great if they built these kind of buildings 60 storeys high in the financial district instead of just plain glass cladding ?

The slight bow or wave on the front of the building looks like a mistake and a bit clumsy.
It's not my cup of tea, but it was designed for older money and the neo-classical style is very conservative and will age better than many of the trendy condos that are being built right now. One St. Thomas is another one of those safe neo-classical buildings, but done right.
The flat east façade looks the best, but unfortunately that side of the building will be blocked by the 2nd phase (181 Davenport). And if you thought the mass of black spandrel on the penthouse and mechanical floors is bad here, there's lots more of it topping phase 2 -- three levels with no precast trim at all.

The majority of buyers in any condo in Toronto are investors, and by majority I mean 80%+. They dont care what anything looks like so its irrelevant, its about numbers first, numbers second and numbers third, everything else is of little importance.

The majority of buyers in any condo in Toronto are investors, and by majority I mean 80%+. They dont care what anything looks like so its irrelevant, its about numbers first, numbers second and numbers third, everything else is of little importance.

80 plus percent represents those buying prebuilt. As the building approaches completion, many of these units will be resold to people that plan on living in it.

Old is in. Understanding it is not.

Back