The UFO landings are very weird and they don't seem congruous with the shape of the building to me — there's something even borderline like disconcerting and weird about them like they're strange mouths or angry eyes. They're very odd. I do partially wish they weren't happening and that space/architectural expression was done in a different and more harmonious way, but they're also just so so weird that in some way I respect them and maybe will grow to like them over time haha. I kinda of don't even understand how strange shaped UFO alien docking bays got out of the design labs, let alone onto a major bank tower lol. It's certainly unique, and gives the building a strange personality that it might not have otherwise.

I agree... it's very strange but it's also not without its appeal - and if that sounds like an incredibly cautious endorsement, it kinda is. This is a stubby, corpulent building, yet with its own unmistakable profile. Perhaps in time it will be seen as an endearing oddity. I look forward to seeing it rise.

Not to mention, even though renderings can be quite accurate, you still don't really know how it's going to look until it's built.

It's certainly one of the more streamlined office buildings we're getting. And will be getting for the foreseeable future.

...I'm not sure about those mouth parts either though. Are they vestige or do they serve some sort of purpose? And if the former, what inspired them to be added in the first place?

It's certainly one of the more streamlined office buildings we're getting. And will be getting for the foreseeable future.

...I'm not sure about those mouth parts either though. Are they vestige or do they serve some sort of purpose? And if the former, what inspired them to be added in the first place?
According to Architect Magazine - "160 Front Street is also incorporating unparalleled amenities including a green roof at the podium level and several outdoor ‘inlets’ with tenant access from their work spaces." I assume they are talking about those mouth-like features. I actually like the way they break up the monotony of the facade.

A few night photos of the site
20210827_212001.jpg
20210827_212526.jpg
20210827_212555.jpg
20210827_213111.jpg
taken August 27th.

Here's a rough approximation of that future view:
Sky Tower will dominate the lake view for years to come and its impact will only be less felt when towers like 11 Bay and Union Centre are added to the mix. Gehry and 212 King are quite a bit north from here, and look seemingly small by comparison.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/future-toronto-skyline-2-jpg.343620/
Just realized that even at 240m,160 Front W will lose its presence on this waterfront skyline angle completely... once Union Centre @ 286m (and Wallman's 71s 200 QQW) are built.

Fortunately it has a heck of a head start. 🏗️

Just realized that even at 240m,160 Front W will lose its presence on this waterfront skyline angle completely... once Union Centre @ 286m (and Wallman's 71s 200 QQW) are built.

Fortunately it has a heck of a head start. 🏗️

The building is still going to look super sweet when you're walking around the Front and Bay area.

Back