So something is definitely going on behind the scenes in Toronto's commercial industry. Too many big office tower proposals. We have 45 Bay aggressively looking for a tenant, then "160 Front" gets a brand name change with a new HQ video. They are serious about this tower too. Someone is obviously looking for space. I couldn't see so much action going on if the market was dead. There's obviously demand out there somewhere.

The suburban office park doesn't have the same allure amongst the millennials as it did the prior generation. Companies tend to located in places accessible to their customers and employees. I have no doubt in my mind that the condo boom enabled the office boom as the economy countinues to grow. There may be many more office developments to come in the next decades. A renaissance of cities across North America.

This tower does not offer the city much at ground level except blank walls (with few doors). Its a shame there is little to no space for retail and restaurants.

This tower does not offer the city much at ground level except blank walls (with few doors). Its a shame there is little to no space for retail and restaurants.

Agreed - and the way it meets the street guarantees huge wind at grade.

Agreed - and the way it meets the street guarantees huge wind at grade.

That's true but I'd hate to see a podium or even an overhang here. It would totally ruin the elegance of the design. I can stand a little wind here.

Yes, at street level, this really is terrible. It's another wall of glass but without any animation at all. It has no retail or anything of interest. It's going to create a long, boring corner in the Entertainment District. Do we really want to bring the lifelessness of the Financial District to other parts of downtown Toronto? Even in the Financial District there is an effort being made to change the area at street level. New bars, restaurants and stores are finally being built at street level, to liven the place up. Now we see the same mistakes that were done there being brought west. We need to stop that shit before it starts.

This building needs animation at street level, so we need to start demanding stores, restaurants, bars or some other public uses that will make the street interesting or of public benefit.

Yes, at street level, this really is terrible. It's another wall of glass but without any animation at all. It has no retail or anything of interest. It's going to create a long, boring corner in the Entertainment District. Do we really want to bring the lifelessness of the Financial District to other parts of downtown Toronto? Even in the Financial District there is an effort being made to change the area at street level. New bars, restaurants and stores are finally being built at street level, to liven the place up. Now we see the same mistakes that were done there being brought west. We need to stop that shit before it starts.

This building needs animation at street level, so we need to start demanding stores, restaurants, bars or some other public uses that will make the street interesting or of public benefit.

The heritage portion of the building will house some kind of a cafe space, and there is also another ground level retail space on the Simcoe facade. You really can't expect an office tower to animate the ground floor much when it needs to create some kind of a grand entrance.

AoD

There is lots of retail especially food in that area, I don't think retail here is a concern if anything it would cheapen it.

Retails, retails, retails!

Back