Right, but then again a reasonable anchor tenant will pick design and location before 16York

Sounds like wishful thinking. I hope you end up lucky. There are many more potential anchors for a 700,000 square foot tower than a 1.2 million foot tower. 16 York has a better location. Design is not a huge priority. Just about anyone of size in the city is spread out in multiple locations with multiple head offices. There's no desire for a centralized location in a competing landmark right now.

I even have concerns that a tenant will get CF to initiate a redesign so that the floor plans are all the same

Despite the modified shape of this tower being dependent on the large floor plates I'm very confident the end product will be far more impressive. It only takes a glance at AS+GG's portfolio to see that they easily rank within the same league as the world's top starchitects. It couldn't be that difficult of a sell when compared to 16 York if there's space available in a building by the same firm that will have completed 3 of the top 5 tallest buildings in the world by 2019.

3 of the top 5 tallest buildings in the world by 2019 only matters here. I look at it as 16 York being right in the middle of one of the biggest commercial booms in the city's history to a tower west of University. The repetitive floor plan for 16 York is also pretty attractive to a larger, frugal tenant. Despite the better location being southwest instead of far west, 16 York will probably be cheaper too.

So 81 Bay, 160 Front, and 16 York are all competing for anchor tenants at the same time.... this will be interesting.

Have to say; after this redesign, I'm rooting for 81 Bay.

So 81 Bay, 160 Front, and 16 York are all competing for anchor tenants at the same time.... this will be interesting.

Have to say; after this redesign, I'm rooting for 81 Bay.

16 York and 160 Front are not competing with each other. CF is marketing 16 York first.

3 of the top 5 tallest buildings in the world by 2019 only matters here. I look at it as 16 York being right in the middle of one of the biggest commercial booms in the city's history to a tower west of University. The repetitive floor plan for 16 York is also pretty attractive to a larger, frugal tenant. Despite the better location being southwest instead of far west, 16 York will probably be cheaper too.
Come on drop it, 16 York has been proposed, approved, and re-designed for the past 10 years and nothing, if it was that jewel you want us to believe, it would have been built and fully leased

A half dozen towers with, I guess, close to 5 million square feet has been built in Southcore. That's all that matters.

I don't know if it's been ten years since the Ice development was approved. It wasn't the first approved proposal for the site. CF proposed two 25 storey office towers in the late 1990s. For 160 Front, you have to go back to the 1980s. Point is, 10 years is nothing for a pension fund to sit on a property.

160 Front Street project mentioned in an OPB article announcing the construction of 16 York.

"CF and OPB's partnership in 16 York represents a deepening of that relationship in Toronto. OPB and CF also co-own RBC Centre and Toronto-Dominion Centre as well as a future development site at 160 Front Street West."

Nothing big or anything...

Back