You're arguing that housing should be built in a hydro corridor? Good luck with that one.

Actually,... there has been informal preliminary discussions. While burying hydro transmission lines underground is extremely expensive, it frees up land for redevelopment,.... it's been done in many urban centres in other parts of the world,..... eventually when you get to a price point where land prices become so expensive,... the cost of burying hydro transmission lines becomes chump change! Toronto is not at that point yet.

Wow. I'm a little slower than usual on catching up on various threads this week and there are 4 pages of back and forth here.

After a long workday, I am tired at times, and read UT threads as a way to relax. Sometimes, posts such as those of our new member @ma-93 rile me up so much that I feel as though they demand a response. I am so grateful for members like @Northern Light and @AlvinofDiaspar, who calmly and skillfully have countered the posts of @ma-93. You have saved me time and aggravation, as these arguments could not go unchallenged.

@ma-93, I am also grateful for your participation. This is how democracy should work, with everyone's viewpoints and opinions out in the open. I find your posts to be articulate and enlightening.

Preliminary issues aside, here are my thoughts:

Homelessness in Toronto is a very significant issue and a large challenge. Particularly during this pandemic, it has become more acute, and more visible (see the various tent villages that have sprung up). Should this issue be confronted in just one neighbourhood, or should the solution be to build housing throughout the city?

I believe that spreading the solution throughout the city is both appropriate and equitable.

It is no secret to regulars of this site that I am fortunate enough to own a home in a prosperous part of the city, Old Mill, near Jane subway station. During COVID-19, I am fortunate in being able to work from home. I do not venture too far from where I live. I do walk my dog for about an hour every morning, which lets me survey the neighbourhood. I have, on numerous occasions over the past few months, wondered how I would feel if the modular construction housing such as that proposed for this site were proposed for the Green P parking lots just north of Bloor Street very close to my home.

I admit that on a visceral level, I may face some fear or trepidation about such a project. I very much understand @ma-93 on that level. That is why it is remarkable to be a human being. With some effort, one can make the effort to set aside that visceral reaction and internalize logically the evidence: that this is a net benefit to the community, Toronto, that has enabled you to accumulate your position of privilege. You can internalize the fact that this will provide a needed opportunity for those less fortunate, and imagine how easily you could be amongst their ranks.

It is not easy when it is right on your front door, or in your "backyard". I understand and admit that. But inequality is a reality accross this city, and its burdens ought to be shared across this city.

In terms of the burdens that will be faced by formerly homeless individuals that might obtain a home at this site, such as the length and trouble they might have in getting groceries or using transit to get around the city, -- if they believe these are not worth bearing, they will not move here.

Last edited:
Final Report to the next Planning and Housing Ctte.

Approval Recommended.

But there are some changes

First, the report link: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-166745.pdf

Changes:

1620913671935.png

Modular supportive housing at 175 Cummer Ave. gets the go-ahead from Toronto committee

May 21, 2021

A plan to build modular housing in front of a Cummer Avenue seniors' home got unanimous approval from Toronto’s Planning and Housing Committee.

The committee made the vote after going through a list of 35 people who signed up to speak on the 175 Cummer Ave. proposal – revealing a community sharply divided over the proposal that was first announced in February of 2021, as part of Toronto’s Modular Housing Initiative.

“ Filion told the committee that most of the constituents he’d consulted were in support of the project, but few were willing to come forward.”

Anecdotally, an acquaintance of mine expressed the same worry about a redevelopment in his neighborhood. He supported it, but was worried about the friction stating his opinion would cause with his neighbours, who were adamantly opposed. He pointed out that (in his opinion) block-by-block battles were a losing strategy, and what was necessary was blanket upzoning.

“ Filion told the committee that most of the constituents he’d consulted were in support of the project, but few were willing to come forward.”

Anecdotally, an acquaintance of mine expressed the same worry about a redevelopment in his neighborhood. He supported it, but was worried about the friction stating his opinion would cause with his neighbours, who were adamantly opposed. He pointed out that (in his opinion) block-by-block battles were a losing strategy, and what was necessary was blanket upzoning.
When you hear the vitriol used against these projects by some of the neighbours - you can understand why some of the neighbours who are in support maintain a lower-profile. We had one local woman reach-out to us in support - and wanting to know how to help, etc - but she was unwilling to do anything with the media, etc to show support because "her kids would stop getting invited to neighbourhood kids birthday parties".

It is a very hard spot for a local-supporter to be in, but at least the Reporters who live-tweeted the meeting were honest in their coverage...

Still waiting on the MZO for this Modular Housing site in Willowdale. There is another public-meeting via webex on Thursday night...

Wait no longer: MZO issued.

Edit: Got this from John Michael Mcgrath, turns out he confused this site w/the Cedarvale one.

I'm leaving it up as I think it would confuse the thread if I deleted it.

Last edited:

Back