http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/1145601--obituary-bistro-990-1988-2012

Obituary: Bistro 990, 1988 – 2012

Published On Fri Mar 16 2012

By Amy Pataki
Restaurant Critic

Bistro 990 — the once-legendary venue of parties, people watching and Hollywood poultry — closes its French doors tonight.

Its demise comes at the age of 23, a ripe old age in Toronto restaurant terms. The cause of death: a virulent condition in which parcels of downtown real estate erupt into residential towers.

They also explained their reasons for closing to anyone who asked. Age is a factor — they’re over 70 — and so is the death last October of their eldest son, Eric, 39. His death, Christine said, “gave us the momentum to move on with our lives.â€

Surviving sons Glen and Kyle Kristenbrun are opening The Museum Tavern — a recreation of Bemelmans, including the vintage sign — at 208 Bloor St. W.

The small French farmhouse and adjacent parking lot at St. Joseph St. will be turned into a 32-storey condo, called 1 Thousand Bay.

This picture was taken from the 27th floor outside common area at 1001 Bay street. It should give you a pretty good idea of what the west facing views will be like at 1Thousand Bay (and what views the residents of 1001 Bay are loosing). Given that Queen's Park is right there I think it's pretty safe to say 1Thousand Bay isn't going to have any problems with obstructed views in the future. It reminds me of the south facing views from 1 Bedford because unless U of T or the government close up shop, they will have great views forever.

IMG_1127.jpg

This picture was taken from the 27th floor outside common area at 1001 Bay street. It should give you a pretty good idea of what the west facing views will be like at 1Thousand Bay (and what views the residents of 1001 Bay are loosing). Given that Queen's Park is right there I think it's pretty safe to say 1Thousand Bay isn't going to have any problems with obstructed views in the future. It reminds me of the south facing views from 1 Bedford because unless U of T or the government close up shop, they will have great views forever.

nice

Cresford has moved their CASA11/1000 Bay condo sales office out of 1000 Bay to 2111 Yonge St. The sign says they moved to allow for site preparation.

Finally, here we go.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 3A8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 278672 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Nov 14, 2012

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing restaurant. See related files: 11-239515 ZPR, 11-318491 STE, 11-320025 PZR, 12-246492 STE, as well as neighboring address 984 Bay St. and related demo permit 11-318491.

To simply claim that this was "first proposed over 5 years ago" is completely disingenuous, as what is going in now is nothing at all what was going on back then years ago. Rather funny ownership history here during that time, detailed in the thread of course.

Photos from Jan 18. Is the excavator there to do an exploratory? I like the updated hoarding style
SDC12702.jpg
SDC12703.jpg

Attachments

• SDC12702.jpg
    SDC12702.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 410
  • SDC12703.jpg
    SDC12703.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 461
I'm really looking forward to this development. While I'm somewhat sad to see that mid-century block go, the Bistro 990 facade was way too kitschy for my taste and totally out of scale with the surrounding areas and, of course, we also lose a parking lot. The best part is that a 32 storey building forms a hard corner that frames the parklike St. Michaels grounds - at least to the south.

Back