Except that appears to just be a site plan application, not a rezoning.

Yeah the rezoning application was withdrawn a couple years ago, maybe this new app has nothing to do with the tower?

2 QUEEN ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

*APPLICATION WITHDRAWN AT THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST* The proposed redevelopment of the site involves the construction of a 65 Storey rental residential tower (a 60 storey tower atop a 5 storey heritage podium base), which will be reconstructed to depict the appearance of the original heritage building. 580 dwelling units are being proposed with a commercial component.
Proposed Use Mixed Use # of Storeys 65 # of Units 580
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 13 152868 STE 27 OZ Apr 18, 2013 Withdrawn
►Additional Information

^ I wouldn't want a 60s residential tower here. I think Yonge st south of Dundas should remain commercial, and condos should be built away from Yonge (on Victoria, Church, Jarvis etc). Wouldn't it make perfect sense to have a hotel at this location?

Why segregate use so distinctively? That's almost always been the recipe for urban decline. I'm fine with residential here.

Heck, while we're at it, why stop at 60? Why not 80 or 90?

6:30am shadows will keep this on the dreaded "Immovable Darkness Society of Toronto" radar

Why segregate use so distinctively? That's almost always been the recipe for urban decline. I'm fine with residential here.

Heck, while we're at it, why stop at 60? Why not 80 or 90?

Sounds so "urbanist", but if segregation were the recipe for urban decline, then Toronto would be a desert. Seriously, how many of Toronto's streets are actually mixed use? Like 8%? Are downtown streets like Jarvis, Beverly, Bay, Sherbourne, McCaul, Mutual, Huron, really "mixed use"? Are Rosedale/Moore Park mixed use? Is the entire so-called midtown outside Yonge st "mixed use"? North of Bloor st, how many of Toronto's street have a decent amount of non-residential buildings? like 2%?

If segregation were the recipe for urban decline as you dramatically concluded, then what would Toronto be? It is like the king of segregation city wide. You go to see Paris or Buenos Aires or Tokyo or Shanghai, those cities don't work like Toronto. They have shops everywhere. This has gotta be the first time I am considered "segregationist" as I deeply loathe pure residential areas, which happen to be one of Toronto's main characters.

You know why I don't think a 90s condo is not a great idea, because there will be too many people at that small intersection. Massey tower is 60s just across the street, isn't it? I never dislike "too many people" but unfortunately the sidewalk is not wide enough for all the 150 stories of residents AND workers AND shoppers/tourists. Unless the city make the bold and necessary move to make Yonge st downtown carfree, which will never happen because of our love of cars, where will those people even walk?

The building needs to be renovated, and probably a 20/30s tower may be reasonable, but a very tall condo won't make sense here. It is too small an intersection with too little space. There isn't even a grocery store nearby. And I am saying this as someone who has been frequently (and was wrongly blamed for blindly) advocating tall towers.

Toronto (including DT)'s problem has never been the lack of residential buildings on commercial streets. It is rather the lack of commercial buildings on residential streets. You got it totally backward.

From my understanding, this won't be a tower. Just restoring the facade with a small addition on top.

You're right Ramako:)

2 QUEEN ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Site Plan Approval for a proposed 7-storey renovation and addition to an existing 6-storey heritage building, including reconstruction of the first 4 storeys back to the original heritage facade and 3 storeys of new glass addition above. The top floor will extend over the existing adjacent Eaton Centre parking garage
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 152088 STE 27 SA May 9, 2016 Under Review

Yeah, that does sound interesting. Can't wait to see the plans for this one. It's really a lovely little vintage building in need of some TLC.

You got to wonder what this bit means.

AoD
Hehe, a better version of the plan

Site plan approval to permit a 7-storey non-residential building that would consist of the renovated 4 storey facades of the existing heritage building and a 3-storey glass addition with green roof above. The 6th and 7th floors would cantilever over the parking garage of the adjacent Eaton Centre to the north. Retail uses are proposed on the ground and 2nd floors, with office uses on the 3rd to 6th floors. A restaurant is proposed on the 7th floor.

Back