News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oops, I was looking at the 2006 census rather than the 2011 census. Good grief, Brampton grew by 90,000 and Hamilton grew by only 15,000! I'd assume this trend continues, given the amount of construction I've seen in western Brampton.

I didn't even know there were events in Brampton!

I guess there's one for the "making assumptions" saying ...

There aren't....that's why it was so easy to make the commitment to all of them (#failedattemptatsarcasm) and why I ask how much was spent on temporary facilities while a large, modern, comfortable arena will sit empty.

There aren't....that's why it was so easy to make the commitment to all of them (#failedattemptatsarcasm) and why I ask how much was spent on temporary facilities while a large, modern, comfortable arena will sit empty.
Ah - massive fail on my part then!

Ah - massive fail on my part then!

Don't worry....it was not that clear.

I have no issue with money being spent on permanent facilities...I think, in particular, the facilities in Markham, Milton and Scarborough will enhance our supply of sporting infrastructure a great deal.

I also don't mind that they found sports for existing mid-sized arenas (boxing in Oshawa and Judo/Karate/Taikwondo in Mississauga) before they did for the Brampton rink because I think those arenas are, marginally, superior to the Powerade Centre.

I do shake my head, however, when I see money being spent creating a temporary facility (ie. no sporting legacy after the games) to house other indoor sports like Volleyball....when a perfectly good arena will sit dormant during the games.

Pan Am Track Stadium at York University

https://twitter.com/andreweckford/status/514785173360369664

qmDXloi.jpg

Edit: Added Velodrome

https://twitter.com/IanMelvin78/status/514762492929929217/photo/1

pytWIJQ.jpg

Does anyone know what the routes are for the marathon and tri-athlon? The website just lists a small portion of Lakefront Blvd..

I find it next to impossible to pop in on the transit threads here to try to determine the most current relevant information... any idea if the all-day, shorter interval train services will be offered on the Go lines in time for the games? the Lakeshore line in particular??

Markham Pan Am/Parapan Centre opens

Hundreds of people anxiously waited in line Sunday afternoon for a first-hand look at the newly built Atos Markham Pan Am/Parapan Centre on Main Street South in Unionville.

The brand-new, $78.5-million multi-purpose aquatics centre and field house will host badminton, water polo and table tennis during the upcoming 2015 Pan Am Games.

So... Did anyone secure tickets to any events? Managed to get through the opening ceremony list, grabbing 2 tickets. My friend also got us tickets for a swimming event. I thought it was going to be much more difficult.

I find it next to impossible to pop in on the transit threads here to try to determine the most current relevant information... any idea if the all-day, shorter interval train services will be offered on the Go lines in time for the games? the Lakeshore line in particular??
There's been no announcement. The best we have is the vague promises from years ago.

One would presume so. And TTC has made a special 2-week board period to cover the games, and would presumably have a special schedule. But no real news.

So... Did anyone secure tickets to any events? Managed to get through the opening ceremony list, grabbing 2 tickets. My friend also got us tickets for a swimming event. I thought it was going to be much more difficult.
I got tickets to a couple of the soccer games (the likely Canadian men's game the first weekend, and the semi-finals - which is a great deal, with a double-header of both men's semi-finals for $25 a seat, including all taxes and fees. I'll probably pick up a couple more, when we are 100% sure when the Canadian team would be playing. I might be tempted to see the non-Canadian games if it was at BMO, but it's a long way to trek out to Hamilton on consecutive days!

My wife got the finals of the rowing.

I'd expect that supply would meet demand for most events, with the possible exception of the opening and closing ceremonies. Apparently the soccer was in the most demand, but with 24,000 seats (or do the have the temporary seating for 40,000) for 12 different games, there's up to nearly half-a-million tickets available.

It would be interesting to hear how well sales went.

Back