News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Attention all passengers on Line 2: Bloor-Danforth. We are currently experiencing a...service suspension...between Kipling and Kennedy Stations. Shuttle buses will only be provided to those involved with the games and die-hard fans of Saved by the Bell :D

There's some evidence that the games are driving tourists away.

This reminded me of my idea for a family trip to London, UK. Once we checked the calendar and saw we'd land during the Olympics we changed the destination to two weeks cottage rental in Cape Cod. However I think London did very well tourism wise, both in the immediate and long term.

I went to London on a day trip from Dublin during the Olympics in 2012 and found it pretty awesome.
There was a massive buzz around the city and didn't notice any major traffic snarls compared to other times that I has been there.

Seriously? You need to spend a BILLION dollars to get people fit? I tell you what - I'll do it for $100 million. You'll save 90%!

Deal.

Getting Ontario fit would save billions per year in health-care costs. Heck, we could save $100M just on hospital equipment scaled to support obese people. If you get the obesity rate in Ontario down to low single digits (afully documented process), I will work my ass off to ensure you get a $100M consulting cheque from the government.

Last edited:
Deal.

Getting Ontario fit would save billions per year in health-care costs. Heck, we could save $100M just on hospital equipment scaled to support obese people. If you get the obesity rate in Ontario down to low single digits (afully documented process), I will work my ass off to ensure you get a $100M consulting cheque from the government.

Canadian Tire raised $20 million in 2013 to promote sport (5 years of those numbers = $100 million). Local and Provincial governments have also helped with funding through Jumpstart. Ontario gets the bulk of the funding, and yet it has barely made a dent. It's been enough to introduce thousands of kids to sport and healthy active lifestyles, but has done nothing to continue their development in later years.

$100 million is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

I am getting the same vibe as I did before the G8. Nothing good is going to come of this and anyone with any brains will avoid the whole downtown core during the seige.

I am getting the same vibe as I did before the G8. Nothing good is going to come of this and anyone with any brains will avoid the whole downtown core during the seige.

I lived downtown during the G8. It wasn't that bad. Yes things got a little out of hand at times, but for the majority of us, it was business as usual. I carried on just as I would have on any normal day. Not sure whether the 'seige' worry is warranted based on my experience being here through it all.

I have no idea how well these games will do but I do laugh when I hear what I call the sucking and blowing criticism that I hear a lot from people:

"These are 2nd rate games that no one cares about AND they are going to cause traffic chaos"......the two seem a bit oxymoronic to me.

"These are 2nd rate games that no one cares about AND they are going to cause traffic chaos"......the two seem a bit oxymoronic to me.
The lane closures are from the athlete's village downtown to the venues, many of which are in 905 or outer-416.

The "traffic chaos" isn't from traffic related to people travelling to the games. It's from the closures of lanes on the DVP, Gardiner, Lakeshore, 401, 404, 427, and QEW from late-June to mid-August, and what this will do to rush-hour traffic.

Personally, given that July and August are the least busy times on those highways, that at worst they'll be no busier than they normally are in September/October.

The lane closures are from the athlete's village downtown to the venues, many of which are in 905 or outer-416.

The "traffic chaos" isn't from traffic related to people travelling to the games. It's from the closures of lanes on the DVP, Gardiner, Lakeshore, 401, 404, 427, and QEW from late-June to mid-August, and what this will do to rush-hour traffic.

Personally, given that July and August are the least busy times on those highways, that at worst they'll be no busier than they normally are in September/October.
I think it's idiotic to begin with, to have the game spread out all over the GTA, knowing the GTA has some of the worst traffic, and least developed transportation network (both transit/highways).
But then, we all know this is a provincial pet project...and every city wants their share..

I'm not sure how much toll does the 407 get for three-weeks. Maybe the government should pay the 407 to give everyone free access on the highway during the games?

Last edited:
Nonsense. This is the only velodrome of its kind in Canada, and only one of two in North America. If you're going to be 'niche' you've got to be the best in that niche and it seems this one is. It will attract athletes from across North America who will come here to train.

That said, this velodrome isn't just for cycling. It was built as a multi-function community recreation centre too, and the long term vision is that it will eventually be part of a wider 'education village' that will include a university. This is smart planning.

We don't really need to speculate though it's been open for four months now and already they are claiming success:

View attachment 47289
http://www.mattamynationalcyclingcentre.ca/en/index.asp

I really do hope that the Mattamy centre does well. And the fact that they've made it into a full gymnasium and that it's in a bike-able area (according to someone up thread who also defended the facility) will paper over the fact that track cycling is a niche sport. But it is. And that's the reason why there's only two in North America -- there would be three, but the last time Canada built one of these, it became a glorified garden over the years. So: If this is the most successful track cycling centre in North America, it'll still be a niche sport.

ETA: The Markham Centre has a better chance of doing great after the Games, as the sports didn't involve anything out of the ordinary for a regular gym. Mattamy is 50/50. UT - Scarborough will be overbuilt, but it'll get use. Overall, I think they've done pretty good with making the sporting venues useful after the games.

Last edited:
I lived downtown during the G8. It wasn't that bad. Yes things got a little out of hand at times, but for the majority of us, it was business as usual. I carried on just as I would have on any normal day. Not sure whether the 'seige' worry is warranted based on my experience being here through it all.

I agree. The G8 images on television versus what we experienced was night & day. One of my co-workers couldn't get hooked up to the office systems from home, so he just walked down King and went into the office (York & Wellington). We found out a couple of days later but he just shrugged -- said he didn't see a thing.

I agree. The G8 images on television versus what we experienced was night & day. One of my co-workers couldn't get hooked up to the office systems from home, so he just walked down King and went into the office (York & Wellington). We found out a couple of days later but he just shrugged -- said he didn't see a thing.

Was this during the week? I lived downtown and my experience was just a little different - we hosted a BBQ on the Saturday. Cops ended up setting up a makeshift bicycle barricade on the street in front of our condo and I had to drive up to Bloor to get friends downtown thanks to the lack of TTC service anywhere in the core. I'm just glad nobody got arrested trying to get to my place.

I can't imagine Pan Am will be anything on the scale downtown, more like weeks of rolling annoyance for anyone trying to drive around the GTHA. People will make other arrangements if possible but traffic will be terrible all day, every day.

Last edited:
Was this during the week? I lived downtown and my experience was just a little different - we hosted a BBQ on the Saturday. Cops ended up setting up a makeshift bicycle barricade on the street in front of our condo and I had to drive up to Bloor to get friends downtown thanks to the lack of TTC service anywhere in the core.

I was living at Yonge/Carlton at the time. (Encore @ The Met) The building would be locked down whenever a protest went by, but it would take about 10 minutes for things to clear up. I went for a few walks to check things out and also did some shopping. It was nice not dealing with crowds on a weekend.

the horror was the goon squad, especially at night, i saw them - hundreds of them descending on Novotel protesters on the Esplanade one night, all you can see is the light on the back of their black uniforms and reflections off the riot shields - all for a bunch of world leaders who didn't even get out of their vehicles. I have been to English football games that were more peaceful. They got away with it all. Not to mention the 140+ rental cars (each with 4 plains clothes officers inside) saw them parked outside Tim's juicing up for the beating, i mean shift, ahead. Check out the staging area on Cherry street, hundreds of cars just waiting for more self-righteous entitled goons armed to the teeth with no accountability in sight.

Back