News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I can't think of a better time to be in the city if one's lifestyle isn't dependent on driving. There will be excitement and spectacle. However, since the facilities themselves are spread out over a large area and the games are given priority, it's reasonable to assume that there will be traffic delays. Nevertheless, subway and GO train riders probably won't be affected and neither will cyclists.

Uh, I know many who have planned their vacation during the PAG's in order to avoid the traffic. CIBC has also allowed a good chunk of their employees to work from home. All my coworkers have been complaining about the expected traffic for weeks. My own parents have said they won't be coming down to visit during the games either. I don't really know anyone who isn't complaining about the traffic already besides those who take transit.

If you drive, you've likely seen the signs on the 400 series highways, and the DVP/Gardiner, warning of delays during the games. The panic isn't being generated by the media and CP24, its being generated by the Province and games organizers. They want the message out there so that people are prepared.

People are aware of the potential traffic issues, but that isn't the same as complaining about it. Most people I know are happy to do their part to make sure the games go well.

Don't minimize what drivers have to put up with just because you live IN Toronto. Your choices are, put up with horrible car traffic, or ride the transit system which has slow-downs every SINGLE day. Not to mention, the system with be swarming with people from other countries where they don't have the health infrastructure we do. Consider this from the Washington Post: (It'll be like going to the Third World without getting booster shots).

It is not, for instance, influenza. Research has found that riding transit in flu season can increase your risk of catching an acute respiratory infection as much as six-fold. Similar results have been found linking certain bus routes in Houston to higher incidences of tuberculosis. The poor ventilation and close contact of minibuses are also thought to significantly contribute to the spread of tuberculosis in South African cities. Historically, public transportation was also a central public health concern during the spread of epidemics of influenza.

I, and many other people that I know, have been to many Latin American and South American countries, and survived. I'm sure we'll be fine.

I'll give you points for the most unique criticism of the Games that I've heard to date.

We survived SARS, I'm sure we can survive the summer flu (?) season.

Perhaps they need an advertising campaign that isn't based on how bad the traffic is going to be ...
Yeah, traffic congestion must be why NYC, London, Paris, Rome, are avoided by tourists.

Oh absolutely! I can't imagine anyone who loves, or even likes, Toronto wanting to be anywhere else during this!

Some people are into that ...

Like the Fords during Pride weekend, many succumb to irrational fear and run away.

Anyway, got my 2 free polo shirts in the mail and reserved time for on-site training. It's gettin' closer and more exciting!

Yeah, traffic congestion must be why NYC, London, Paris, Rome, are avoided by tourists.
Whenever I go to Britain I usually avoid London specifically because of the crowds, congestion and racket. I much prefer Cornwall, Wales and Yorkshire (especially in the lower, but still warm season) for their peaceful charms. Mind you I was born in London, have seen most of it.

I can't think of a better time to be in the city if one's lifestyle isn't dependent on driving. There will be excitement and spectacle. However, since the facilities themselves are spread out over a large area and the games are given priority, it's reasonable to assume that there will be traffic delays. Nevertheless, subway and GO train riders probably won't be affected and neither will cyclists.
It will inconvenient those who do not have viable alternatives. I sure hope people will stop coming into town during evenings or at least take the GO trains. The QEW from 403 to 427 going from 3 lanes to 2 + 1 HOV will not be a pretty sight. There no news either on whether trucks will be banned from the new passing lane.

Don't minimize what drivers have to put up with just because you live IN Toronto.
So why don't Blue Jays, Raptors, or TFC ticket campaigns ever mention the traffic then?

I simply don't think it's the best marketing strategy to sell tickets. Do you?

Whenever I go to Britain I usually avoid London specifically because of the crowds, congestion and racket. I much prefer Cornwall, Wales and Yorkshire (especially in the lower, but still warm season) for their peaceful charms. Mind you I was born in London, have seen most of it.
The only people who go to Britain and avoid London are the British. I still keep hoping that I can once again fly a regular British Airways flight from Pearson to Birmingham.

Last edited:

Back