News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

City pulls plug on Olympic-sized pool
By: Radhika Panjwani

February 4, 2009 07:39 PM - The City of Mississauga is pulling out of a deal to develop an Olympic-sized pool.

The City was interested in bidding for a 50-metre pool/aquatics complex to host water polo competition for the 2015 Pan Am Games, in the eventuality the games are awarded to Toronto. But, during discussion with the games bid committee a few days ago, Mississauga was told it had to make a firm commitment on the issue soon.

At a general committee meeting today, the City decided to pass on the opportunity to develop the $76-million facility because of the high cost involved and the fact the facility would not have a fitness or recreation centre to benefit a larger section of Mississauga's population.

“They wanted a decision on the pool by the next council meeting,” said Mayor Hazel McCallion. “An Olympic pool is a very costly operation and the intention of (City) staff was to have additional facilities to support the pool — like a leisure pool. The Pan Am bidding committee said they would not fund that ... In my opinion, the pool is down the drain.”

Mississauga was planning on collaborating with neighbouring municipalities Oakville and Milton to jointly fund the project. And even with cost-sharing Mississauga's portion would have been approximately $29 million.

City officials said the time constraints laid down by the bid committee would not have allowed Mississauga to carefully consider all options.

“We had developed a concept that was a two-stage process,” said Commission of Parks and Recreation Paul Mitcham. “Stage one was we would seek approval from Council to support the bid and participate in the bidding process. And the second stage would have been final Council approval that would provide time between the submission of the bid and final approval for us to do our due diligence ...”

The majority of councillors felt the pool was an expensive proposition given the fact it would not serve any purpose once the games were over. Some councillors noted the high costs needed for maintenance and upkeep of the facility.

“You have to look at the benefit to the community after the games are over,” said Ward 9 Councillor Pat Saito. “And the operational costs are a lot higher for that type of pool.”

In the meantime, the City is still hoping to cash on the games. It is offering the Hershey Centre sports complex as possible venues for judo, taekwondo and roller skating events.

Source

Wow, in the end, everything will be built in Toronto! And we don't have to pay fro any shortfall. Cool!

Things like The Pan AM Games and even The Olympics are just a big scam. The only people who really benefit are the organizers and the business community, meanwhile, it's the regular joe-schmoe who pays for it.

Every time the organizers make their pitch they always turn out to be wrong about how much it will cost, who will pay for it, what the benefits will be and how many tourists it will bring in. Research any Olympics or Pan Am games and you will see the promises made by the organizers are always very different from the reality. Basically, they lie to get things approved, knowing they will not be holding the bag, when the shit hits the fan. It's always the city, province or federal government who has to pay for all the cost over-runs. (Which there ALWAYS are) Look what's happening in Vancouver right now. Trust me, we only know half the story. In the end, Vancouver will end up owning lots more than they realize, while the organizers walk away quite pleased with themselves. (and significantly richer) I really think this is just a big scam! It's amazing how these organizers get away with it.

I have to disagree with your blanket statements. It's convenient that at best you can say "trust me" rather than provide some authentic arguments. There are many examples of Olympics that have proven to be valuable for the cities that have hosted them. Two successful Olympics off the top of my head are 1992 in Barcelona and Sydney in 2000. Both have done wonders for the image of the cities and I think their impacts have been felt economically to some significance. Even Pan-Am games have proven to make profits for the cities that host them. Winnipeg made a profit in 1999.

Yes cost overruns are quite normal. Find a project on any scale that isn't underestimated. It's both a way of selling the project and trying to project some unknowns. When you have such a huge endeavour, you're more likely to see a larger difference in projected and actual costs. It doesn't take much for prices to soar, especially during a time when the economy is fluctuating quite a bit. Sometimes you suck it up for the greater good.

Now, go ahead and cite Atlanta or Athens or Montreal as examples of Olympics gone awry, but you can even find some silver lining in those games (well maybe not Atlanta... nothing good came out of Atlanta). So, before you go making blanket statements I'd suggest you back them up, cause you're clearly quite wrong.

Nope, I didn't provide any facts because that would be more work than I want to put into this. I'm just going by what I've read over the years, so this is just my over-all opinion. If I did the research, I'm sure it would show that these types of games benefit (financially) only the organizers and the organizations. This is just my general opinion. Obviously, I'm not in favour of wasting tax payer's money to line organizer's pockets. I think there are much better things we can do with our money.

It's funny you mentioned the Sydney Olympics as a success. It seems to have been the most successful Olympics in recent memory and yet, it still needed a government bailout, as of course, organizers were way off in their estimated costs. (as they ALWAYS are) Everybody knows how this game goes, as the same thing happens every 4 years. Of course, this is never reported when the organizing committees are trying to convince us it's what we need. We only see the "projected" benefits based on untruths.

OK, you wanted a little proof. With one quick search, this is a bit of what I found on the Sydney Olympics. First lie, The Olympics brings great tourism benefits for years to come. Since most agree that Sydney was the most successful Olympics I searched the Sydney sites. (Check out what it did for Athens lol)

http://www.travelbite.co.uk/news/asia/china/olympics-have-negative-effect-on-tourism-$1231097.htm

You want more? Four years after the Olympics and Aussies are still paying through the nose to pay off the debts, while the Olympic venues are under used and losing millions of dollars every year. (major white elephants)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040727/ai_n12795600

Do your own search and you will see in every city, it's the same. The organizers seem to always be wrong with their facts & figures, and the great benefits never seem to materialize. How about making the Olympic organizers pay for the cost over-runs, since they are the ones who make the mistakes, yet always reap the financial benefits. The more I research it, the more I'm convinced it's just a big scam, with very few real benefits for the city. I'm sure the athletes will disagree.

Just as a side note, I have 3 friends who live in Sydney and all 3 agree, that the Olympics were not worth the money. It was a big let down for a lot of people. Years and years of hype, 2 weeks of wow, and the party is over. Is it really worth it?

Last edited:
You are right, to an extent, the initial financial projections seldom turn out to be true.

My theory on this is that we, generally, treat sports facilities differently than other community assets. No one ever asks if Opera houses, Art Gallaries, Museums, etc. will make money. We know they won't but we view them as community assets. Big sporting events like the Olympics are the only way we have have of getting a lot of sporting venues built (those which don't have a pro sports usage) yet to get a bid for those games we have to show projections of breaking even or making money.....different than the arts.....then we all act in shock, anger and outrage when the budgets are shown to be "off". If we treated sports (I am talking about the no-pro sports not NHL rinks and the like) the same as other community assets we might get more realistic projections from the onset.

As for no one winning....well ask the athletes who now have places to train and develop their skills if only the "organisers" end up winning. Ever notice how all of Canada's ski jumpers, lugers, bob sledders and the like are coming from the west....they have places to train and develop.

From that other thread, the Pan Am Games would be a great stapping stone to host the 2020 Olympics. I will go on and say we basically have Pan Ams secured, and if Tokyo wins the 2016, the 2020 will favour Toronto very much. Even if Rio won 2016, bacuse the Olympics were in Beijing

The Host city for the 2020 Olympics will be chosen in 2013. This is before Toronto hosting the 2015 Pan Ams and showing off to the world that they are capable of hosting the Olympics.

from the tronno star

Pan Am Games would spread beyond GTA TheStar.com -

February 18, 2009
Vanessa Lu
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Organizers of the 2015 Pan Am Games have released a list of proposed venues that extend from Hamilton to Oshawa to Brampton, with many key competition venues centred in Toronto including gymnastics, swimming, and basketball.

Opening and closing ceremonies for the 17-day games that would run from July 10 to 26 will be at Rogers Centre.

Many sports would be at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place including artistic and rhythmic gymnastics at Ricoh Coliseum, fencing, karate and handball at the Direct Energy Centre, and beach volleyball at Exhibition Place. Triathlon would start at Ontario Place and finish at Exhibition Place.

The cost of the $1.4 billion bid, which has been cut by $300 million due to the economic downturn, will be shared by Ottawa, Queen's Park and some participating municipalities.

Toronto, which is the lead city, is competing against Bogota, Colombia, and Lima, Peru, to host the games. The 42-member Pan American Sports Organization will choose the winner in November.

The bid is due April 30 and must list venues, event schedules and transportation plans.

The proposal, which was released today by bid chair David Peterson and Jagoda Pike, chief operating officer of the bid, covers 38 sports in 16 municipalities. Venues for a few sports have not yet been finalized, including equestrian and field hockey.

The location of the athletes village has not been set, though the West Donlands on the waterfront is considered a front-runner. The funding for the village is not included in the $1.4 billion price tag.

Many training and competition events are spread out throughout the region including rowing in St. Catharines, BMX cycling on Barrie's waterfront and indoor shooting in Ajax.

Popular events like soccer, diving and baseball are planned for several sites, giving spectators more choices.

If Hamilton agrees to contribute at least $94 million toward a $150-million, 15,000-seat stadium, it would host the popular track and field events. It has also been chosen for a new 50-metre pool at McMaster University that will be used for training, and a temporary velodrome for cycling.

Most of the venues would use existing facilities such as the Hershey Centre in Mississauga for taekwondo and judo, baseball at Richmond Hill's Green Park, and wrestling at Brampton's Powerade Centre.

Only a few new facilities are slated to be built, notably the Canadian Sports Institute Ontario at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus, which will include an aquatics centre and a high-performance training facility to bring together elite athletes, coaches and medical experts.

The sports institute is considered the crown jewel of the Games bid, because it would create a legacy to encourage and foster Olympic-calibre athletes for summer sports, similar to one at the University of Calgary for winter sports.

The cost of the $170 million centre will be split four ways. The federal and provincial governments would pay 56 per cent of the cost, with U of T and the city each responsible for 22 per cent.

For Toronto, that translates into $37.5 million, a spending proposal that city council is to vote on next week.

Markham, which had coveted the aquatics centre, receives a consolation prize in terms of a new 50-metre pool that would host water polo during the games.

The federal government has promised $500 million, and the province will cover any shortfall. Cities are expected to contribute a share toward construction if a new facility is built in their municipality.

Toronto is also seeking up to $12 million to expand or upgrade existing sites, including refurbishing pool facilities at Etobicoke Olympium and resurfacing the track at Centennial Park.

I'm sure they're popping the champagne in Markham where they get a polo pool instead of the decade-in-planning "crown jewel of the Games bid, because it would create a legacy to encourage and foster Olympic-calibre athletes for summer sports."

I'm still curious what behind-the-scenes negotiations lead to putting the institute at UTSC and, in general, what the venue selection process was.

The Institute & aquatics centre would make more sense in Markham or even York U, instead of UTSC (why UTSC? to prop up the Morningside White Elephant Line? To solve socio-economic problems by 'investing in Scarborough'?).

I'm sure they're popping the champagne in Markham where they get a polo pool instead of the decade-in-planning "crown jewel of the Games bid, because it would create a legacy to encourage and foster Olympic-calibre athletes for summer sports."

I'm still curious what behind-the-scenes negotiations lead to putting the institute at UTSC and, in general, what the venue selection process was.

The site at UTSC was planned for a very long time as well. It just didn't get as much press coverage.

That's a very unfair statement - whether the location is valid or not is a different story.

The latest opening ceremonies trend coming out of East Asia is to have it on the waterfront of the host city. The opening ceremony of the East Asian Games, to be hosted by Hong Kong later this year, will be held on a floating stage in Victoria Harbour, with the city's skyline as a backdrop. The opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore will also be held on on a floating stage.

I think, given the importance we place on developing the waterfront, the opening ceremonies could be moved to some place on the waterfront, with a big sound and light/pyrotechnic show that can be enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people around Toronto Harbour, not just the tens of thousands sitting in the SkyDome.

Back