News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

From that other thread, the Pan Am Games would be a great stapping stone to host the 2020 Olympics. I will go on and say we basically have Pan Ams secured, and if Tokyo wins the 2016, the 2020 will favour Toronto very much. Even if Rio won 2016, bacuse the Olympics were in Beijing

Now that we are on a roll we might as well bid For The World Cup in 2018 and the Comonwealth games in 2022.Oh yeah, you cant forget Expo 2018 or 2020 I believe we were a shoe-in for the 2012 or was it for 2015, but did not get the bid in on time.

Last edited:
It looks like Mississauga has been frozen out of more than a new swimming pool. The latest news is that the gymnastics facility at the Hershey Centre, said to be the best in Canada, won't be used.

The Hershey Centre will probably host judo, tae-kwon do, and roller sports.

I'm not sure that Hazel and the City Council will appreciate this decision. Unlike the pool, the gymnastics facility already exists.

It looks like Mississauga has been frozen out of more than a new swimming pool. The latest news is that the gymnastics facility at the Hershey Centre, said to be the best in Canada, won't be used.

The Hershey Centre will probably host judo, tae-kwon do, and roller sports.

I'm not sure that Hazel and the City Council will appreciate this decision. Unlike the pool, the gymnastics facility already exists.

But it is not large spectator facility....at Pan Ams/Olympics/etc, gymnastics is one of the big spectator draws...the event has to be held in a large specator venue....I would imagine 10k or more seats would be necessary to host gymnastics.....Mississauga does not have one of those!

Hershey Centre holds 5,800 for hockey.
Richo Coliseum (who is going to be the host venue for the gymnastics) holds 8,140 for hockey.

Hershey Centre holds 5,800 for hockey.
Richo Coliseum (who is going to be the host venue for the gymnastics) holds 8,140 for hockey.

So, they picked the venue with the most seats but is not a mega arena (Copps...ACC....Rogers Centre).

Regardless, the post was not about the Hershey as much as it was about the gymnastics facility which is next door in the sportzone.

So, they picked the venue with the most seats but is not a mega arena (Copps...ACC....Rogers Centre).

Regardless, the post was not about the Hershey as much as it was about the gymnastics facility which is next door in the sportzone.

Good luck filling 1/2 of the seats in Copps, ACC (I won't even mention Rogers center as that could be 50,000+) even for gymnastics

Good luck filling 1/2 of the seats in Copps, ACC (I won't even mention Rogers center as that could be 50,000+) even for gymnastics

Again, that is why they picked Ricoh for the event....those 3 arenas are too big but Hershey/Powerade/GM are too small for a premier event (ie. money spinning) like gymnastics.

As Goldilocks said Ricoh is just right!

The number of gymnastics seats sold depends almost entirely on whether or not the American gymnasts live or go to school within driving distance of Toronto.

The number of gymnastics seats sold depends almost entirely on whether or not the American gymnasts live or go to school within driving distance of Toronto.

Canadian gymnastics has come a long way. These days, both the men's and women's teams expect to qualify entire teams at the Olympics. Only the top 8 countries qualify for the finals. 20 years ago, I would have agreed that attendance at a Pan Am gymnastics competition would be entirely to see American gymnasts. Today, the gap has closed considerably. Canada would challenge for quite a few medals, as would Cuba and Brazil.

Canadian gymnastics has come a long way. These days, both the men's and women's teams expect to qualify entire teams at the Olympics. Only the top 8 countries qualify for the finals. 20 years ago, I would have agreed that attendance at a Pan Am gymnastics competition would be entirely to see American gymnasts. Today, the gap has closed considerably. Canada would challenge for quite a few medals, as would Cuba and Brazil.

I think it sells tickets anyway....it is one of the few sports in the "amateur world" that the ticket buying public has some familiarity with and is, traditionally, a hot ticket at multi-sport competitions like this.

I think Ricoh (of the available indoor arenas) makes perfect sense for this.

So, the West Don lands plan will stay exactly the same but will be used for the athletes village before being turned into housing?? I hope so, because the WDL plan is actually really good, and a redisign could be costly (?).

Well the Pan American Sports Organisation meets from Oct. 9-12 and this involves a PASO Executive Committee Metting, the PASO General Assembly and the Panamerican Olympíc Sport Convention. I would assume that at either the committee meeting or the general assembly we would find out the results. But there's nothing on the PASO website that indicates a precise date.

Back