News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Nobody cares about the Pan-am games. You have to dig deep to find any reference to them in the NY or LA Times or in the Chicago Tribune, for example.

Oh no - not the Chicago Tribune :rolleyes:

And the NY Times did do quite a piece on the games that generated quite a bit of discussion or did you miss that?

Was Code Monkey able to drive in circles around Toronto, or did the 401 slow him down despite the Gardiner flowing? Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:

Gardiner is always flowing, except when you hit the DVP and Lakeshore, or anywhere west of the downtown...but how did you enjoy the show? I bet the Governor General long winded speech was the highlight of your evening. :p:rolleyes:

I liked the beginning of the ceremony and the closing just fine, but the rest was a snooze... and is it me or did the tired, clichéd and nauseatingly cheesey proceedings lack any real relevance to the dynamic, vibrant and modern city that is Toronto? The city sparkled beautifully on screen but the artistic vision on display in that stadium felt like it was designed by a really uncool committee about thirty years ago... even the cirque performance was meh.

Pretty sure when John Tory was referring to Toronto whiners it was probably based on him reading these forums.

The opening ceremonies was spectacular. Yes, there were less exciting parts, just as with any games. Overall it was fantastic. Maybe even... World Class.

My only regret is not seeing the fireworks from the CN Tower.

Have to say I am pretty pleased by how everything turned out - cauldron shots:

image013-jpg.50324

image014-jpg.50325

image015-jpg.50326

image016-jpg.50327

image017-jpg.50328

image012-jpg.50323

AoD

In my opinion: a sturdier, permanent version of the Toronto sign at NPS should be installed. People love taking photos in front stuff like that, and it would add some colour to the square.

Also move NYE fireworks to the CN tower because even this very short show was spectacular.

I can't believe that this hasn't been done before. It's such an obvious and wonderful idea.

So, it sounds like it was a great start! But, much more importantly, did DDA get to the cottage without fuss, despite the horror of HOV? Was Code Monkey able to drive in circles around Toronto, or did the 401 slow him down despite the Gardiner flowing? Inquiring minds want to know... :rolleyes:

Traffic chaos? What traffic chaos?

People in this city LOVE blowing every potential issue WAYYYYY out of proportion.

I suppose the Pan AM adverts are partly to blame

Have to say I am pretty pleased by how everything turned out - cauldron shots:

image013-jpg.50324

image014-jpg.50325

image015-jpg.50326

image016-jpg.50327

image017-jpg.50328

image012-jpg.50323

AoD

The cauldron is nice but I was spoiled by the one in Vancouver. I won't miss ours if it's removed after the games. The Vancouver cauldron is permanent and deservedly so.

Also, what's with the fences around the cauldron? It's already built high with a berm of bushes to keep people off without the use of fences.

It's great seeing Nathan Phillips Square thronged every day at the moment. Olympics please.

I was afraid because of the HOV bickering but public opinion seems to have turned around substantially. Ticket sales skyrocketed today. The CN Tower fireworks and all the PANAMANIA events overtaking the city were the turning point. With a Mayor in favour of the Olympics, Canada racking up Gold Medals and what looks to be a successful hosting of the biggest ever multi sport event in Canadian history, the stars are lined up for Toronto to bid for the Olympics. On to TO2024.

I was afraid because of the HOV bickering but public opinion seems to have turned around substantially. Ticket sales skyrocketed today. The CN Tower fireworks and all the PANAMANIA events overtaking the city were the turning point. With a Mayor in favour of the Olympics, Canada racking up Gold Medals and what looks to be a successful hosting of the biggest ever multi sport event in Canadian history, the stars are lined up for Toronto to bid for the Olympics. On to TO2024.

Where is the proof that ticket sales skyrocketed?

Where is the proof that ticket sales skyrocketed?

Officials gave an update at a press conference earlier. I haven't found any written reporting yet but they did mention it on the CBC. They said: "ticket sales doubled". They're at almost 900,000 tickets sold which is the most tickets ever sold in PanAm history.

After I posted pics from the Opening Ceremony, all my friends have been asking me where to buy tickets. Reporters on the streets are hearing the same thing: people suddenly woke up and are rushing to buy tickets now that the Games are on.

Back