News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Would there be pressure to take down the section from Jarvis to Spadina as well?
Why? There's no official discussion of such a plan. The EA is from Jarvis east. The earlier discussion about taking down a bigger section required the construction of the Front Street East extension (essentially rerouting the Gardiner into Front Street and ending it at Bathurst); however that plan was officially cancelled by the city.

Chill! We just won the Panam games, something a lot of us have never heard of before Toronto bidding for them. These aren't the Olympics, we're not about to start fixing every little thing wrong with Toronto. Sure, we're going to get a lot of great bonuses, and a bit more attention, and pretty facilities located in the boonies (aside from the breathtaking athletes' village), but these are not city-changing events as the OG are.

I don't think anyone's seriously proposed that and it would require a lot more planning - you'd need to do a lot more with Lakeshore to keep capacity. Not really doable in a six year timeframe.

Crap, I didn't realize University College is going to lose it's back field. That's a terrible location for the field hockey centre. It's going to ruin a great and well-used open field. I'd actually rather see a temporary structure go there

I would not be surprised of any plan floated by City Hall, now that Toronto will be hosting the 2015 Pam Am Games. Have you seen the reaction a few hours ago? Many people (i.e. the Mayor, Premier, residents of Toronto, etc.) are treating this as the Olympics

I definitely see this as a time where all ideas will be thrown on the table and explored (regardless of how unreasonable they are) to take advantage of funding

Last edited:
I think it's fantastic we won. I don't think the plan of spreading the games around the Horseshoe is the greatest idea, but I understand why it's getting done that way so I'm not overly concerned.

One thing that hit me today while seeing all the folks who represented us in Mexico is that while these aren't the Olympics, we have a team of politicians who are taking this very seriously. So, when it comes to any projects that will coincide with these games, I think it would be unfair to say "these aren't the olympics, so they won't be live changing." Whether it's an Olympics, a Pan-Ams, a World's Fair, whatever, you only get out of it what you put in, and it sounds to me like the politicians want this to have some sort of legacy, which ultimately can result in some great things happening over the next 5 years. Here's hoping.

This is very good news for Toronto and I'm thrilled about this, we need it. That said I think it's safe to say that we can say bye-bye to any chance of an Olympics bid for 2020.

This is very good news for Toronto and I'm thrilled about this, we need it. That said I think it's safe to say that we can say bye-bye to any chance of an Olympics bid for 2020.

Rio just hosted the Pan-Am games in 2007 and will be hosting the Summer Olympics in 2016.

There's a big difference between 9 years and 5 years. With 9 years you can use the Pan-Ams as a success story. With 5, the best you can say is "things are on schedule". Plus it's harder to do because you essentially need to be getting a start on building your olympic infrastructure 5 years prior and if you're focused on another international event in the middle of it all, it makes it difficult logistically to manage both (do you stop construction? are you planning on retrofitting Pan-Am infrastructure? etc...)

As much as I'd like to see Toronto 2020, we'll be working against time, and a 2024 bid would seem much more likely (and would follow in Rio's footsteps...). Also, that's if the Americans don't get 2020... which is a huge risk for us, because if the US gets it in 2020, we won't see another realistic chance until maybe 2036.

Congrats Toronto! Toronto 2020 for the Olympics! :cool:

I'm surprised.

A wise prophet once proclaimed that Toronto would keep trying and failing to host a sporting event for all eternity.

There's a big difference between 9 years and 5 years. With 9 years you can use the Pan-Ams as a success story. With 5, the best you can say is "things are on schedule".
So you bid hard for 2020, making everyone think about you, and then you are a shoe-in for 2024.

Remember, Rio also had bid for the 2012 Olympics in 2004, even though they had already won the 2007 Pan-Am games only in 2002.

Last edited:

Back