News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ I haven't heard anything about that but I know they're removing the catwalk that was installed around the shaft of the tower near the bottom.

I agree: they need to either give the CN Tower a paint job to make it look uniform or clad it in an interesting material. Architectural concrete has long been out of fashion... SkyDome, this goes for you too.

By the way, where's the CN Tower thread? It's where we first discussed this. I did a search and couldn't find it.

Well supposedly the SkyDome is getting updated, outside. I hope they cover the concrete and replace the windows.

TO business man put it best in today's Toronotist

TO business man on November 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM

What is wrong with the City of Toronto? The city will be facing almost 3 billion in debt by 2010 and we have a horrible transit system and not-so-great social programs to show for it. I don't want to turn this into a Toronto-hate-fest, so I will offer my opinion on fixing some issues. The City of Toronto is a business which is run very poorly. We get taxed, which is the Toronto's revenue and city employees get paid which is Toronto's expenses and finally Toronto chooses to spend money (which it doesn't have)on programs and that turns to debt. When businesses are small they are easier to navigate, but as expansion and growth occur debt starts to mount and we get a Nortel situation. The City of Toronto is Nortel right now, but unfortunately, we can't just claim bankruptcy and walk away. We need to start electing business men that have experience operating successfully, and are true leaders to represent us. These leaders must start stripping away all of these layers of bull shit wrapped in debt and give us and our future generations a chance at living in a world-class city which is debt-free. Toronto will have to go back to basics and look really closely at it's income and expense statements to determine what can be trimmed away in terms of expense and debt (i.e. Panam games and new LTR lines). This might not be fun for us, but we will be leading the way to a debt-free Toronto and allowing our kids to have a better Toronto. Toronto's finances should be treated just like you would your own. If you can't afford it you shouldn't spend it.

The title may be a little deceiving but there is truth to it:

10,000 athletes are expected to compete in these games. In comparison, the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games had 10,500 athletes competing.

Also of note, the PanAm games serve as qualifiers for many of the sports (all Olympic sports are represented in the PanAm games) to go on to Rio2016 the following year.... so you can expect the likes of Hussein Bolt and Michael Phelps competing in Toronto 2015.

Who is this Hussein Bolt? ;)

I know a lot of people are complaining, but let's face it...this is infrastructure the city and region need. It's really quite sad that the only way governments will invest is if there's a major event coming.

As for the CN Tower plan, would this be the one proposed by West 8? Or something new?

Who is this Hussein Bolt? ;)

I know a lot of people are complaining, but let's face it...this is infrastructure the city and region need. It's really quite sad that the only way governments will invest is if there's a major event coming.

As for the CN Tower plan, would this be the one proposed by West 8? Or something new?

It's Usain Bolt and he is recently honoured by his country government for the recent achievement in sprinting at 2k8 Olympic games. He holds the world record for fastest sprinting at 100m. Google it.

I agree to that, especially in Canada. In U.S., many cities under our border (with the exception of PHX) are attempting to catch up to European levels, and perhaps Asia, in case of California with their hi-speed rail.

I have yet to hear and see the revamp of CN Tower; what is it going to be? And what other infrastructure are being re-utilized for the venues?

Last edited:
It's Usain Bolt and he is recently honoured by his country government for the recent achievement in sprinting at 2k8 Olympic games. He holds the world record for fastest sprinting at 100m. Google it.

I agree to that, especially in Canada. In U.S., many cities under our border (with the exception of PHX) are attempting to catch up to European levels, and perhaps Asia, in case of California with their hi-speed rail.

I have yet to hear and see the revamp of CN Tower; what is it going to be? And what other infrastructure are being re-utilized for the venues?

Haha.. I knew I was spelling his name wrong but didn't bother to Wikipedia it... thanks for the correction.

The CN Tower's revitalization is mostly work done on the large plaza surrounding the base of the tower. It's currently used very inefficiently with the actual base of the tower being an abandoned and unusable grassland.

The plaza will be more open and integrate the entire base of the tower.

The building on the base is to be reworked as well. I thought I saw the original plans here on UT. Maybe I saw it elsewhere and my brother filled me in on the details...

Haha.. I knew I was spelling his name wrong but didn't bother to Wikipedia it... thanks for the correction.

The CN Tower's revitalization is mostly work done on the large plaza surrounding the base of the tower. It's currently used very inefficiently with the actual base of the tower being an abandoned and unusable grassland.

The plaza will be more open and integrate the entire base of the tower.

The building on the base is to be reworked as well. I thought I saw the original plans here on UT. Maybe I saw it elsewhere and my brother filled me in on the details...

Are there any renderings of the project that you know aboot? What exactly is changing at the base?

I found it!!!

xy_7CA893B6-384E-4EE4-9944-164DE051EE5B__.jpg

Guess the details were fuzzy....but here's the thread:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9589

According to my brother, this is scheduled to begin construction next spring.

With the PanAm games coming, the CN Tower can't afford to have their plaza a construction zone. All those 250,000 tourists expected to come from the games will likely want to visit the tower while they're here.

I found it!!!

xy_7CA893B6-384E-4EE4-9944-164DE051EE5B__.jpg

Guess the details were fuzzy....but here's the thread:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9589

According to my brother, this is scheduled to begin construction next spring.

With the PanAm games coming, the CN Tower can't afford to have their plaza a construction zone. All those 250,000 tourists expected to come from the games will likely want to visit the tower while they're here.

It's hard to tell what is evening changing based on that diagram.

"Winnipeg Pan Am Games posted a surplus!"

Get this... according to the former Mayor of Winnipeg, Glen Murray, the Winnipeg Pan Am Games posted a surplus!

With what Toronto has planned in a year's long festivities leading to the games, I wouldn't be surprised if our games attracted more than the estimated 250,000 tourists.

As mentioned above, the latest Pan Am games in Rio brought in 700,000.

With the traditional hispanic Pan Am fans inevitably being joined by US tourists with easy access because of our shared border, we could theoretically beat out the estimates.

Well you're right. It's elephantine. It's certainly not the most stylish use of the language. But his points -- if you can mire thru this mess -- are valid.

no they aren't valid. Apparently our children will be better off if we scrap Transit City? How will they be better off by not hosting the games? And, what does the city of Toronto's current finances have to do with the rest of the Golden Horseshoe? I can tell you for certain that people down in Niagara are very pumped about this and frankly they couldn't care less about the near-sighted fools in Toronto who like to complain about everything because their tax contribution could be going towards their next cup of Tim Hortons coffee instead of public transit. Torontonians live in the richest city and region in one of the richest countries in the world. How about we start reflecting this in our attitudes?

At any rate, it way too late to be complaining about hosting the Pan Ams.
Allow me to go on record now to complain about a possible third Olympic bid. That would be an ideal issue to be a referendum question in next year's municipal election. (Fat chance!)

The least valid point in TO business man's festering syntactic swamp of misconceptions is that Toronto is a poorly run business. Toronto is not a business. It's a city with a democratic government.

Back