News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The football tournament would be certainly involve other cities. Rio 2016 will have matches held from Manaus to Sao Paulo to Salvador. London 2012, as previously mentioned, has matches in Scotland and Wales. China 2008 had matches in Shanghai and Shenyang, among others. Greece 2004 had matches in Crete and Thessalonika.

Perhaps a Toronto bid wouldn't involve another country (the US), but it is a certainty that it will involve other cities in some way.
The best example would be the 1976 Olympics ... where there was soccer in Toronto at Varsity Stadium.

Can't do that now, it went down from 15K to 5K.

AoD
was over 21k in 1976 but if you were talking about a Toronto bid for an olympics would you not be looking for the "varsity stadiums" of other cities like Tim Hortons Field and the stadium in Ottawa and Saputo in Montreal...etc etc...or have i misunderstood the conversation?

was over 21k in 1976 but if you were talking about a Toronto bid for an olympics would you not be looking for the "varsity stadiums" of other cities like Tim Hortons Field and the stadium in Ottawa and Saputo in Montreal...etc etc...or have i misunderstood the conversation?

Nope - just saying that Varsity simply can't serve in that capacity anymore.

AoD

Whatever. There are a ton of options for 5-20k venues in the GTHA so it would be moronic to spend money on any new builds.
point I was making is that what we have on hand and what was built for PanAms, while lovely sporting infrastructure, are not to Olympic scale. In GTA we have one arena that is +/- 20k....one that is +/-10k .....3 that are +/-5k....and a few in the 2,500 range. None of the 5k ones are expandable. Anything less than 10k for indoor Olympic sports would represent a significant downsizing of capacity from recent Olympic bids.

Bring in Hamilton and you get one more arena that is about 18k...so that helps.

Generally, though, an Olympic bid here, if successful, would require a very large capital spend.

point I was making is that what we have on hand and what was built for PanAms, while lovely sporting infrastructure, are not to Olympic scale. In GTA we have one arena that is +/- 20k....one that is +/-10k .....3 that are +/-5k....and a few in the 2,500 range. None of the 5k ones are expandable. Anything less than 10k for indoor Olympic sports would represent a significant downsizing of capacity from recent Olympic bids.

Bring in Hamilton and you get one more arena that is about 18k...so that helps.

Generally, though, an Olympic bid here, if successful, would require a very large capital spend.

And I'd say that a two-week sports festival should adjust to the size of the available venues, not the other way around. It's fiscally irresponsible to build facilities with 30-40 year lifespans at a scale that will only be used for a few days at most.

Back