News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Generally, though, an Olympic bid here, if successful, would require a very large capital spend.

Not sure about that - if you look at the bid book from 2008, most of the venues are either pre-existing or temporary structures. The number of permanent new builds isn't all that large even back then. It's pretty much inevitable that you'd need to build a new athletic stadium though, but I think we can find uses for that.

AoD

Last edited:
Nope - just saying that Varsity simply can't serve in that capacity anymore.
I'd think that would have gone without saying! Though the Varsity capacity isn't that different from the capacity in Sherbrooke which was also a venue. But I doubt they'd play in such a small stadium these days.

The point was that we used other distant cities during the 1976 Olympics, and can do the same now. They used 4 venues in 1976 (Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, and Sherbrooke) for the 23 matcches (was supposed to be 32 matches, but was reduced at the last minute because of the boycott). The men's tournament is still only 32 matches, but there's also the 26-game women's tournament. So 58 matches. So presumably 6 or so stadiums.

Mind you, they did the entire 32-match Pan AM tournament in Hamilton in a single stadium. Which is a possibility if they used turf rather than grass.

Not sure about that - if you look at the bid book from 2008, most of the venues are either pre-existing or temporary structures. The number of permanent new builds isn't all that large even back then. It's pretty much inevitable that you'd need to build a new athletic stadium though, but I think we can find uses for that.

AoD
Well, I guess, the assumption I would be making is that if you want to be successful in your bid you would look at the 1996 and 2008 bids and try to improve them....and perhaps the reliance on older, smaller venues and/or temporary venues did not sway enough votes and that perhaps the actual building of "sporting legacy" matters to the IOC voters.

Well, I guess, the assumption I would be making is that if you want to be successful in your bid you would look at the 1996 and 2008 bids and try to improve them....and perhaps the reliance on older, smaller venues and/or temporary venues did not sway enough votes and that perhaps the actual building of "sporting legacy" matters to the IOC voters.

Improvement doesn't equate to "bigger" at this point - certainly I don't recall a consistent trend towards increasing venue size over the past few games. Besides, we aren't - and really shouldn't be trying to run the games like Beijing or Sochi. Certainly London didn't have any trouble with using a lot of temporary venues. The last thing I want is something like what Tokyo is doing - overpromising with that Zaha monstrosity and now at the risk of underdelivering.

As to the actual bid - you won't win it by glam alone - best to leverage the atheletes and their positive experience at Pan Am.

AoD

Last edited:
Improvement doesn't equate to "bigger" at this point - certainly I don't recall a consistent trend towards increasing venue size over the past few games.
AoD

That's not what I said (well not what I meant ;) ).....without doing a full detailed analysis...what it seems like to me is is there is a relatively constant size for venues.....and what I was pointing out in response to some of the suggested venues for suggested sports is that our venues would represent a significant downsizing....and while there may be no trend to bigger venues....i doubt there is an appetite to move smaller.

Speculation has been fun but aren't we running out of time in terms of a credible bid for 2024?

Speculation has been fun but aren't we running out of time in terms of a credible bid for 2024?

Tight timeframe for the Toronto to formally declare intention to bid (Jan 2016)- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympic

The technical aspects is one thing (can't see that being a huge issue, considering previous groundwork), the political support is another, but the candidature files won't be due until Jan 2017 in any case.

AoD

Tight timeframe for the Toronto to formally declare intention to bid (Jan 2016)- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympic

The technical aspects is one thing (can't see that being a huge issue, considering previous groundwork), the political support is another, but the candidature files won't be due until Jan 2017 in any case.

AoD
Let's not kid ourselves - the decision on whether or not to bid has already been made. If the city/province plans to do it then there is already a team working on the pitch, probably hidden somewhere inside the $2B Pan Am budget as a "lessons learned" expense. It would all be subject to a final public approval/sign-off process, of course, but a skunkworks effort is probably underway.

Let's not kid ourselves - the decision on whether or not to bid has already been made. If the city/province plans to do it then there is already a team working on the pitch, probably hidden somewhere inside the $2B Pan Am budget as a "lessons learned" expense. It would all be subject to a final public approval/sign-off process, of course, but a skunkworks effort is probably underway.

That wouldn't surprise me. Certainly JT is that type of an operator.

AoD

Toronto Olympic bid under ‘great discussion,’ Tory says
Toronto is in a position now to host the Olympics, the mayor says. It would be the city’s sixth try.

From The Star, at this link:
Mayor John Tory reveals there’s a “great discussion” underway for Toronto to take a sixth run at hosting the Olympic Games.

As Canada basks in a record-high medal count at the Pan Am Games, reporters asked whether the timing is right to try again for the golden prize of hosting the Olympics.

“There’s a whole variety of international events and sporting competitions that we’re now in a position to host — which I think is good for Toronto, good for Ontario and good for Canada and the Olympics is one of those, obviously, of which there is great discussion,” Tory replied.

“But the time to make any decision with respect to whether to go forward with that is after these Games are successfully concluded,” Tory continued.

His comments came at Queen’s Park on Wednesday morning after a meeting with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne.

“We have another set of Games that are very important, in Parapan, to carry out and then to sit down and talk about these things together, as we will, and decide what’s best in terms of what we go forward with — whether it’s an Olympic bid or a host of other things,” Tory said.

The Parapan Am Games are scheduled to run Aug. 7-15.

Toronto has failed in five separate bids for the Summer Olympics since 1960, coming second to Beijing in its attempt for the 2008 Games.

Toronto’s record of failure in winning the Summer Olympics has been fodder for lengthy news articles and PhD papers.

Pressed further about taking another run at hosting the Games, the mayor added: “I guess everything’s on the table until you take it off the table.”

The deadline for bidding on the 2024 Summer Olympics is Sept. 15.

A week ago, Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Association, told the CBC: “Toronto would be a good candidate” for hosting the 2024 Games.

In 2007, Rio de Janeiro hosted the Pan American Games and in 2009, the city was awarded the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Toronto Olympic bid under ‘great discussion,’ Tory says
Toronto is in a position now to host the Olympics, the mayor says. It would be the city’s sixth try.

From The Star, at this link:

So, ONCE AGAIN, my posting my reasonable objections on the internet has not stopped these pillocks? I'm definitely going to have start commenting on newspaper articles on the Star site!

What. a. waste. of. money.

Back