News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Enough people to fill that stadium trying to get there via the limited Portlands roads would be quite interesting.
But the 'where' is a problem that can be solved. The Pan Am Games have more sports, more events and more athletes than the Olympics and has gone pretty well so far.

Enough people to fill that stadium trying to get there via the limited Portlands roads would be quite interesting.

The siting of the facilities would of course be completely different - no one in the right mind would put the stadium at the tip of the Portlands for instance, it'd be closer to the new RER station at First Gulf.

Nonsense. This is London's Olympic Park, including Westfield Stratford City, superimposed over our Port Lands (same scale).

Oh gawd, weep for all that contaminated industrial lands that will get displaced!

AoD

Nonsense. This is London's Olympic Park, including Westfield Stratford City, superimposed over our Port Lands (same scale).

Um yeah, like those two parcels of land are identical. And aren't there already plans for the Portlands? Or are we just ditching the plans if another sports party comes to town?

So, people of the future who haven't even moved into a newly planned-on-paper neighbourhood are in fact being displaced?

Well, I'd be watching the plans closely - it certainly shouldn't be a carte blanche for the existing plans for the Portlands, but at the same time, it's also important to recognize that it can be catalytic for said plans. It's not an either or as some would like to paint it.

And yes, we already have an unused structure that can be adapted - it's called the Hearn. We already have some existing land for atheletics in the Portlands - the Cherry Beach playing fields. We already have plans that can be adapted for residential needs - Villers Island and Polson. It's all about how everything mix together

AoD

Yes. I'm not totally sold on the 2024 Olympics myself, but I find it hard to believe that a sizeable percentage of the downtown core will need to be razed in order for this to be given the green light.

That's what happens when one felt that they need to resort to hyperbole to advance their case.

AoD

Yes. I'm not totally sold on the 2024 Olympics myself, but I find it hard to believe that a sizeable percentage of the downtown core will need to be razed in order for this to be given the green light.
Won't be necessary, for starters, while we'll fling the Toronto name on everything, much of the event would take place in other cities.

What would I need to 'spin'? (And you missed Calgary). There's nothing 'fair share' about Olympic or any other funding, for Toronto or for anyone else.

No, I didn't mean you. I was implying that the rest of Canada couldn't view the funding of a Toronto olympics as 'unfair'... and yes, Toronto remains the only major Canadian city to not have hosted a games, with all of the infrastructure funding they stimulate. Now I'd gladly take this funding without a games but it hasn't been offered to us yet (regardless of political party) - and certainly not anything approaching olympian scale - so not sure why, when or how it ever would, other than wishful thinking. Olympics isn't wishful thinking, it's a commitment with a timeline. Yes please!

An event that encompasses the golden horseshoe should be larger than a city-specific event.

Niagara River would be a great venue for the whitewater slalom.

EntireAreaFromNorthOfWhirlpool.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Horseshoe-Falls-Niagara-Falls-ON-640x424.jpg

It was planned for 12 Mile Creek at St. Catherines in the 2008 bid:

upload_2015-7-23_14-2-6.png

(TO2008 Bid Book)

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-23_14-2-6.png
    upload_2015-7-23_14-2-6.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 642
There should be a kayaking event over the falls themselves - imagine the publicity! Gold medal if you live!

We could raze Cabbagetown (it had no business surviving the urban renewal of the 60s) and put in a massive parking lot for visitors and athletes coming from overseas.

Last edited:

Back