from today
20110226054.jpg

20110226055.jpg

20110226056.jpg

They wont probably start drywalling until the building is entirely closed in with all windows, glazing and majority of brickwork complete. Plumbing is the priority right now with major electrical feeds next.

What do you call finished on time? What did Sorbara give you as occupancy date?

I was told it would be around december 2011. I went to the sales centre yesterday, and there were a lot of people looking at their finishes. It seems like they are pretty organized.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but went by the decor centre this week.....finishes are nothing special, but I was bitterly disappointed with the pathetic vanity they used in the bathrooms.....i never knew linoleum was back in style....

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but went by the decor centre this week.....finishes are nothing special, but I was bitterly disappointed with the pathetic vanity they used in the bathrooms.....i never knew linoleum was back in style....

Can you tell us more about the finishes? For example, is there only one bathroom vanity option? What are the standard options like? You mentioned nothing special. I was told that they were going to use better finishes for the project. What is your opinion on the upgrades?

Dukester,
I was the decor centre on the weekend and I can say that most standard finishes are just fine except for the laminate selection on the bathroom vanities. It should have been a standard granite or marble.
The good news is that the upgrade cost to those is not that bad and the vanity is hung off the wall as standard, so that is a plus.

The other bad news is that there is a TON of available options, it will make your head spin! Prices on options arent bad though except for flooring which is always out of whack.

Overall, I am pleased but you will need to spend a few hours in the decor centre to sort it out. Don't expect to show up to your appointment and figure it out in two hours.

Stopped by the site yesterday, looks ok but gotta say, it's bound to be boxed in within a decade by other developments....
Certainly the building to the east which Quadrangle Architects is in will be developed. Sorbara once told me that they had an option on it at one time.
The buildings to the north and west will be heritage protected eventually, if not already.

Dukester,
I was the decor centre on the weekend and I can say that most standard finishes are just fine except for the laminate selection on the bathroom vanities. It should have been a standard granite or marble.
The good news is that the upgrade cost to those is not that bad and the vanity is hung off the wall as standard, so that is a plus.

The other bad news is that there is a TON of available options, it will make your head spin! Prices on options arent bad though except for flooring which is always out of whack.

Overall, I am pleased but you will need to spend a few hours in the decor centre to sort it out. Don't expect to show up to your appointment and figure it out in two hours.

Thanks Wellington guy. That is a shame about the polished concrete as the standard flooring looks kind of cheap, and the upgrades seem quite expensive. That is good news that the vanity upgrades aren't too much money. I guess it's probably a good idea to go a few times before your decor appointment then. I wonder what the average amount of upgrades people are going to get in dollars?

Hey 400wellingtonguy,

What makes you say those things about the standard flooring? I would have thought the engineered hardwood would have been standard!

Regardless, if there are at least a few standard options for each choice and a lot of upgrade options than that is something!

I just felt like the developer cheaped out on a few finishes. The laminate floors are decent, but they're still laminate. The kitchen sink is not an undermount and the bathroom vanity is garbage. It wouldn't have cost that much more for them to put a decent vanity and make the kitchen sink an undermount and use a decent backsplash.

When you're competing in a neighbourhood in which most new buildings are using higher end finishes as standards, then you need to step up your game a little. Wellington is not cityplace, yet the new cityplace buildings have better finishes...i just don't get it.

The good and bad news is that there are tons of upgrades, but the pricing binders are very confusing. The staff on the weekend isn't much help either, they're basically there just to open the decor centre up in the morning. You're going to have to wait until your appointment to talk pricing.

The other good news, depending on how you look at it, is that that they allow you to tag on the upgrades to your mortgage. All you need to come up with is 25% down......This is a blessing and a curse at the same time, as it can get very expensive, very quickly.

I just felt like the developer cheaped out on a few finishes. The laminate floors are decent, but they're still laminate. The kitchen sink is not an undermount and the bathroom vanity is garbage. It wouldn't have cost that much more for them to put a decent vanity and make the kitchen sink an undermount and use a decent backsplash.

When you're competing in a neighbourhood in which most new buildings are using higher end finishes as standards, then you need to step up your game a little. Wellington is not cityplace, yet the new cityplace buildings have better finishes...i just don't get it.

The good and bad news is that there are tons of upgrades, but the pricing binders are very confusing. The staff on the weekend isn't much help either, they're basically there just to open the decor centre up in the morning. You're going to have to wait until your appointment to talk pricing.

The other good news, depending on how you look at it, is that that they allow you to tag on the upgrades to your mortgage. All you need to come up with is 25% down......This is a blessing and a curse at the same time, as it can get very expensive, very quickly.

Thanks for the opinion! I am still a fan of this project, but am not excited about the fact that I will probably be paying a lot in upgrades. I definitely want an undermount sink and nice backsplash. Hopefully the undermount sink is an option. I agree that Sorbara seemed to have gone a little cheaper here. Some of the other projects have nicer finishes. I hope this doesn't come back to bite sorbara. Regardless, I am going to go by in order to really see what the deal is.

A question for you guys. I have had engineered hard would in the past. what are differences in your opinion between laminant and the other hard woods sorbara is offering?

Back