The Erin Mills corridor is built out and there are few plazas to redevelop on the road. I can't see much densification along it.
Going north to south, there is the commercial/business park area between Millcreek and Windwood, Erin Mills Town Centre, South Common Centre, Sheridan Centre, and that massive area around Clarkson GO after Erin Mills becomes Southdown, in addition to handful of commercial plazas. All mall properties are being targeted by the city for intensification (see the "Reimagining The Mall" project) and there are 3 of them on this corridor. It definitely won't be as crazy or as built up as Hurontario, but I believe it will be enough to warrant a rapid transit link eventually, especially with Clarkson GO sitting on the corridor as well.

Documents for the 407 BRT are already showing a spur to Mississauga Road/Erin Mills Parkway. The Queen Street BRT in Brampton ends at Mississauga Road and will likely connect to the 407 BRT via Mississauga Road in the future too. Based on all of this, I believe the case for continuing the BRT down Erin Mills in the future is much stronger than you think.

I found this in my mailbox recently:
1682178013968.jpeg

Does anyone have any suggestions for opposing the NIMBY group? I've already written in my support for the project and will contact the councilor but that group clearly has money & time to waste. There's at least 500 people in the group.

Eh, that's too simplistic a take. It's absurd that this is the only commercial / retail in the community (20+ units of it), yet it's the only plot which can / will see redevelopment. Suburban land use has always sucked, but further evolving it into a car-dependent, residential, monoculture isn't going to do anyone any favours, especially as we glide further and further into climate oblivion.

I get it why many of my neighbours are passionate about the plaza but to me, that plaza has been in serious decline for a number of years now. The optical store and cleaner closed, as did the walk-in medical clinic. Mastermind Toys closed their location probably five years ago now. The IDA pharmacy seems to have less and less stock every time I pass by it and the Iqbal foods I only went to one time. They had just opened and I noticed that many food items had passed their best before dates. There is a Pizza place I use about once a year. Cobbs bread I try to avoid and there is also a cafe at the south end I have never visited even though I have lived a stone's throw from it for nine years now. It lacks outdoor seating and seems to resemble some of those places in Vaughan and other areas where the mob has settled "personnel issues."

I have used the Baskin and Robbins occasionally in the summer but like Cobbs Bread, try not to go too often.

The plaza closure wouldn't affect me at all. I could always replace the convenience store with the Petro Canada across the street.

People hate change and change can be scary at times but I'm not afraid of the new development. If anything, it will actually reduce traffic in my neighbourhood.

When we get some nicer weather I will take the little one for a walk and take some photos of the stores and post here.

Eh, that's too simplistic a take. It's absurd that this is the only commercial / retail in the community (20+ units of it), yet it's the only plot which can / will see redevelopment. Suburban land use has always sucked, but further evolving it into a car-dependent, residential, monoculture isn't going to do anyone any favours, especially as we glide further and further into climate oblivion.
Amazon delivers to these communities.

Amazon delivers to these communities.
Best thing I ever did was switch to grocery delivery. Grocery shopping is such a huge timesuck, particularly in the winter.

The plaza is definitely on the decline. I'm sure that many do go to the plaza but Iqbal Foods is what brings the most traffic and most of those customers seem to be driving in. The Mastermind Toys space is up for lease, $40psf per month - it's been vacant since they left several years ago.
The proposed development needs some more commercial space, maybe a small grocery store would be nice. This has already been outlined by the city staff as a concern - existing is about 70,000sf or retail and proposed is about 8,000sf. Really all ground floor Erin Mills & Folkway fronting buildings should be commercial space, potentially even the corner on Sawmill Valley.

They've created a focus group (https://4099erinmillsfocus.wixsite....HIS5PiAvC9bowvvN1f6yHCMCVE6-mae0eYU7-x1OUeP1Y) and there has been some engagement with the developer, the city & community. I read through the Q&A submitted to the city planner - there seems to be opposition to having students rent units, to no public park space (Because it's a private development???) etc. Not impressed that the volunteers won't name themselves while they clearly act as if they represent the entire community.

In this area, anything taller than a pine tree is a tower 😉
Yeah, this is why I find it concerning thinking how other future sites could be viewed by residents once they get their redevelopment plans in order. I know a few acres of land practically begging for redevelopment, but there's just no will to develop it.
I used to live about 40 minutes away from this plaza, and visited it here and there, maybe five times at the most. There's really nothing special about it, and upon my last visit, the old grocery store was still shuttered I think.

Now...I was wondering about that. So I took a ride around the place on Google Street View (er...don't laugh!) to see what retail that was there of the time it was taken. And surprisingly (not that I should of been), there where a number of services and shops that is likely serving said community in dispute here...

...so this made me think, it's not that this proposal should not go threw...rather it should be adjusted to keep that retail component intact to a degree while removing the car reliance. I don't think that can be obtained with the current proposal, so compromises will have least to made of my understanding of this. But yeah, it's not really so simple, is it? /sigh

Yeah, this is why I find it concerning thinking how other future sites could be viewed by residents once they get their redevelopment plans in order. I know a few acres of land practically begging for redevelopment, but there's just no will to develop it.
I used to live about 40 minutes away from this plaza, and visited it here and there, maybe five times at the most. There's really nothing special about it, and upon my last visit, the old grocery store was still shuttered I think.
Obviously If we are just patient a whole foods, a star bucks, a lcbo, a shoppers, an indigo, and a prominent bank will move in. This is a super desirable area and it will see a new day.

People will walk to and from their homes and then I’ll only use their cars to get to the go station once a day and then to the country club on the weekends. But I assure you it will become pedestrian friendly if we just leave it the way it is.

This idea that we have to develop every square foot of plaza space to combat the housing crisis is crazy talk. We can just start making 90 floor buildings at Erin mills mall.

Last edited:
I'm not very convinced it's that desirable of an area for many retailers to set up shop, with the state of the plaza over the last few years. There's a lot of competition here with the proximity to South Common and Erin Mills malls, so it makes sense we see services and some smaller brands here. I'd like to see an equal amount of retail GFA retained here, with a mix of housing, as in townhomes and midrises laid oit in a way to step up to Erin Mills Parkway and down from the housing to the west, and north. I'm more referring to redeveloping the massive parking lots adjacent to GO stations near here, that were expanded as recently as 2010 on Creditview and Rathburn.

Back