I'm amazed at your faith in the future because I have basically none at this point...
These plazas are the perfect places to density. I live in the suburbs and I fully expect every plaza close to me to be redeveloped into condominiums. Could there be stores on the ground floor I can walk to? Sure. But the idea these plazas are going to remain that I can continue to drive to because we fear we’re going to make the suburbs more car centric (the suburban would have to drive further) I find absurd. Either way people are going to drive. What we need is a more dense city and the way we do that is to redevelop. There is seemingly a never ending list of excuses to protest every project in the gta. That I find pathetic.

Where we’re going we don’t need roads. Drones.
Yeah, not so much. While UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) have their place for certain delivery items (mainly in the hospital sphere) there won't be widespread use for general courier type delivery in major metro areas.

Glad to see you're still alive @sixrings. I was worried that you may have had one of those large boulders from Lakeview land on you or perhaps you were detained by the local constabulary after borrowing one of the trucks ;)

Yeah, this is why I find it concerning thinking how other future sites could be viewed by residents once they get their redevelopment plans in order. I know a few acres of land practically begging for redevelopment, but there's just no will to develop it.
I used to live about 40 minutes away from this plaza, and visited it here and there, maybe five times at the most. There's really nothing special about it, and upon my last visit, the old grocery store was still shuttered I think.
The grocery store is fully operational, it's Iqbal foods now. It was Michaelangelo's then Four Season for a short period and now Iqbal Foods.

The grocery store is fully operational, it's Iqbal foods now. It was Michaelangelo's then Four Season for a short period and now Iqbal Foods.
That was the joke: starsky food bought it, renamed it Four Seasons, and it only lasted three seasons (9 months). I was amazed at how quickly they managed to eff it up so quickly when it was such a thriving business. To say it was a bad case of lunch bag letdown when Iqbal showed up is an understatement. I was really hoping it was going to be the first GTA Farmboy location.

That was the joke: starsky food bought it, renamed it Four Seasons, and it only lasted three seasons (9 months). I was amazed at how quickly they managed to eff it up so quickly when it was such a thriving business. To say it was a bad case of lunch bag letdown when Iqbal showed up is an understatement. I was really hoping it was going to be the first GTA Farmboy location.
I thought it was less than a year. Farmboy would do well there but the state of the plaza just isn't attractive to tenants. At least they have amazing mangoes.

Yeah, the last time I was there they were open as a Four Seasons, but I believe we were either in a lockdown, or partly re-opened, so business in general was slow.

Yeah, the last time I was there they were open as a Four Seasons, but I believe we were either in a lockdown, or partly re-opened, so business in general was slow.
Nope. Iqbal opened well before the pandemic. Four Seasons was empty because Customers like me stopped going since it was annoying looking at empty shelves. Many employees and customers alike started going to the Longos.

Apologies, I dont recall the store then. Whatever it was, it was either closed because the opening day was months away, or because of local restrictions to stop the spread of covid.

Yeah, not so much. While UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) have their place for certain delivery items (mainly in the hospital sphere) there won't be widespread use for general courier type delivery in major metro areas.

Glad to see you're still alive @sixrings. I was worried that you may have had one of those large boulders from Lakeview land on you or perhaps you were detained by the local constabulary after borrowing one of the trucks ;)
I did not manage to get a boulder although I still want a half dozen of them. I’m at square one if you get one of those trucks loaded up.

These plazas are the perfect places to density. I live in the suburbs and I fully expect every plaza close to me to be redeveloped into condominiums. Could there be stores on the ground floor I can walk to? Sure. But the idea these plazas are going to remain that I can continue to drive to because we fear we’re going to make the suburbs more car centric (the suburban would have to drive further) I find absurd. Either way people are going to drive. What we need is a more dense city and the way we do that is to redevelop. There is seemingly a never ending list of excuses to protest every project in the gta. That I find pathetic.
I'm all for densifying the suburbs, but why does it only get to happen on the commercial lots? Why can't I do this (picture)? Likewise, why can't I convert a house or part of a house to a commercial use, as was everyone's right until Village of Euclid v. Ambler Realty Co.?

Jersey City.jpg

I'm all for densifying the suburbs, but why does it only get to happen on the commercial lots? Why can't I do this (picture)? Likewise, why can't I convert a house or part of a house to a commercial use, as was everyone's right until Village of Euclid v. Ambler Realty Co.?

View attachment 473991
That’s another discussion. My lot is right beside square one on a property that is bigger than where they are building 50 floors at Yonge and eglinton. I’ll happily turn my house into a 50 floor building to help density.

Back