The podium is unforgivably awful.

If this is where AA's work is going, maybe time to disband.

The towers have potential, but they aren't great and FFS would it kill them to use some colour.

Let's not go overboard. The architectural design is still better than hundreds of projects in different stages of developments from a dozen garbage firms.

Let's not go overboard. The architectural design is still better than hundreds of projects in different stages of developments from a dozen garbage firms.

Was that overboard?

Hmmm, I may be taking on some of @ProjectEnd s habits. LOL But ya know, there is something to be said for an unambiguous opinion.

In truth, I think I stand behind this one. Really; if this is where AA is going; its time has come and gone.

Ugh.

Yes, there's worse out there; but that should be no developer's or architectural firm's defense, ever!

A zoom-in:

Attachments

• Toronto Model 11-07-19 49 Ontario St..png
    Toronto Model 11-07-19 49 Ontario St..png
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Reactions: PMT
Looks pretty good to me.
Yes, I get that we are starved for projects with more color and organic feeling material, but that does not mean this is a bad design.

With the right materials (and execution) could pass off as some of OMA's or Herzog & de Meuron's recent residential builds.

Dream sure are ramping up their residential and mixed-use portfolio in downtown. Apart from their acquisition of the Ivy Condos development, they now have this, 250 Dundas West, and the West Don Lands projects in the pipeline. Pretty substantial amount of units being planned combined.

Last edited:
"With the right materials (and execution) could pass off as some of OMA's or Herzog & de Meuron's recent residential builds. " -Contra

same materials as Fleur condos will be amazing.

Dream sure are ramping up their residential and mixed-use portfolio in downtown. Apart from their acquisition of the Ivy Condos development, they now have this, 250 Dundas West, and the West Don Lands projects in the pipeline. Pretty substantial amount of units being planned combined.
They are doing a lot of hiring right now too - I know a few people who have recently started working there. I expect to see lots more from them.

They are doing a lot of hiring right now too - I know a few people who have recently started working there. I expect to see lots more from them.

This overhead map below (from a recent news report) really puts things in perspective their level of involvement in shaping and developing the areas surrounding the Distillery District, West Don Lands and Canary District:

they proposed twins for that lakeshore land. one of them is 60 storeys.

Other property updates

It owns all of 49 Ontario Street, a seven-storey, 87,105-square-foot office building on a 1.5-acre downtown site with 500,000 square feet of gross leasable area redevelopment potential. The trust is working to rezone the property to enhance its office component and add 400 purpose-built rental apartment units.

From Dream Impact Trust's October 2020 Investor Presentation:

1605084189223.png

Event Information: 49 Ontario Street and 429-455 Richmond Street East, 69 and 75 Ontario Street - Community Consultation Meeting
Date and time:Monday, December 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:2 hours
Description:
This Community Consultation Meeting will include two separate planning applications which are located within the same block bounded by Richmond Street East to the north, Adelaide Street East to the south, Ontario Street to the west, and Berkeley Street to the east.

49 Ontario Street
City Planning Division has received an application to amend the Zoning By-law to permit a mixed use development consisting of 3 towers: 12-storeys (46.95 metres), 36-storeys (127.0 metres) and 29-storeys (104.4 metres) atop a shared base building. The development would contain 13,138 square metres of office, 643 square metres of retail uses, and 881 dwelling units. A mid-block connection between Ontario Street and Berkeley Street is proposed between the 12-storey building and the towers. The proposed development would have a total gross floor area of 66,025 square metres, which would result in a Floor Space Index of 10.91 times the area of the lands. The application proposes 202 vehicular parking spaces and 947 bicycle parking spaces.

You can view the submitted plans and reports online at: http://aic.to/49OntarioSt

You can view a copy of the Preliminary Report providing background information at: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-141195.pdf

Back