Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 1.53.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 1.53.51 PM.png

I love that the Banknote will be a nail house. Though it’s be nice if its well-dressed new neighbour caused it to rethink the EIFS it’s clothed in.

A nail house?! Where's someone meant to get a drink with a bit of atmosphere in this town these days?

Last edited:
Ok, now understand the term "nail house". I thought you meant it was becoming a nail salon... I actually enjoy these types of establishments serving refreshments or otherwise dotted on the corners here and there. Keeps the scale of the street a bit more approachable.

That’s exactly right, and it’s bad. And city planning is responding by fighting for shorter, stubby towers and a lot of facadectomies.

Solutions?

It's not enough to allow intensification as-of-right (not that i disagree w/that)

But it doesn't block assemblies such as this.

Do we want to limit floor-plates? Do we want to limit assemblies/lot size in absolute terms?

What changes to the rules/laws would make a tangible difference?

And do so w/o killing useful and needed intensification.

Solutions?

It's not enough to allow intensification as-of-right (not that i disagree w/that)

But it doesn't block assemblies such as this.

Do we want to limit floor-plates? Do we want to limit assemblies/lot size in absolute terms?

What changes to the rules/laws would make a tangible difference?

And do so w/o killing useful and needed intensification.

A big positive change would be allowing and encouraging height. So far planning has been trying to cap heights around 20 storeys. Results have been some god-awful slabs. 40-storey point towers, broken up at grade, would be infinitely better.

A big positive change would be allowing and encouraging height. So far planning has been trying to cap heights around 20 storeys. Results have been some god-awful slabs. 40-storey point towers, broken up at grade, would be infinitely better.

I'm content to agree w/your trade; IF I believe it would take place.

I'm not sure we wouldn't end up w/proposals for 80-storey towers, negotiated down to 40-storey slabs.

Back