I would like to know what all these nimbys think of the massive slum apartment building at 1501 woodbine. Or are we just going to pretend it doesn't exist and this is the bridle path or something?

I would like to know what all these nimbys think of the massive slum apartment building at 1501 woodbine. Or are we just going to pretend it doesn't exist and this is the bridle path or something?

I'm not sure that calling someone's home a slum is particularly useful.

To be sure, it's a building with a problematic owner and at the very least past management issues (I can't speak to those currently).

While I don't have time for paranoid, inflammatory or hyperbolic opposition to this modular housing, which I support; I'm also disinclined to think equally over the top responses help persuade anyone or diffuse any conflict.

Better to roll one's eyes privately; and publicly answer bad arguments with good; particularly those that are politely expressed.

At the end of the day those opponents of this housing will still be the neighbours to this development; and a potential source of difficulty for the sitting councillor.

The most egregious statements are hard to answer with restraint; but if one is to reach out to the fence sitters, to those with thoughtful questions or concerns, it serves us best not to alienate them
by making it sound like any concern is invalid or heartless etc.

Surely many are; but the cause of affordable housing isn't won or lost on a single proposal; it's won on dozens or hundreds.

We need to peel away moderate opponents and make them supporters.

I'm not sure that calling someone's home a slum is particularly useful.

To be sure, it's a building with a problematic owner and at the very least past management issues (I can't speak to those currently).

While I don't have time for paranoid, inflammatory or hyperbolic opposition to this modular housing, which I support; I'm also disinclined to think equally over the top responses help persuade anyone or diffuse any conflict.

Better to roll one's eyes privately; and publicly answer bad arguments with good; particularly those that are politely expressed.

At the end of the day those opponents of this housing will still be the neighbours to this development; and a potential source of difficulty for the sitting councillor.

The most egregious statements are hard to answer with restraint; but if one is to reach out to the fence sitters, to those with thoughtful questions or concerns, it serves us best not to alienate them
by making it sound like any concern is invalid or heartless etc.

Surely many are; but the cause of affordable housing isn't won or lost on a single proposal; it's won on dozens or hundreds.

We need to peel away moderate opponents and make them supporters.
And to add, we can all laugh at the ridiculousness and credulity of their claims...until that is, politicians and powers that be start listening to them. That's when they become problematic, even dangerous IMO.

As those sites don't Border a Park, it is harder to draw a distinct catchment-area around the Modular-Housing site(s)... but yes, we will generally track the listing and sale history around the other locations.

For what it's worth, Mike Clark sends out mailers with average house prices listed. He's got the average 2021 price for a detached 2 storey, 3 bedroom home in the neighbourhood at $1.376M, and he's listing the source as TREB Jan/Feb. Doesn't say what volume of properties that represents, so who knows how reliable that really is.

10 Bracebridge looks pretty well maintained on the inside, compared to some of the less-updated properties in the neighbourhood. But then if you look back at historical sales data Bracebridge seems to underperform other parts of the neighbourhood. Right next door 8 Bracebridge looks like an all-around better property, and it only went for 1.2M back in September.

But anyone who's clutching their pearls at "million dollar homes" is really disconnected from what the Toronto real estate market looks like. Lots around there are being purchased north of $800k for teardowns. Nearly every house is going for over a million now.

For what it's worth, Mike Clark sends out mailers with average house prices listed. He's got the average 2021 price for a detached 2 storey, 3 bedroom home in the neighbourhood at $1.376M, and he's listing the source as TREB Jan/Feb. Doesn't say what volume of properties that represents, so who knows how reliable that really is.

10 Bracebridge looks pretty well maintained on the inside, compared to some of the less-updated properties in the neighbourhood. But then if you look back at historical sales data Bracebridge seems to underperform other parts of the neighbourhood. Right next door 8 Bracebridge looks like an all-around better property, and it only went for 1.2M back in September.

But anyone who's clutching their pearls at "million dollar homes" is really disconnected from what the Toronto real estate market looks like. Lots around there are being purchased north of $800k for teardowns. Nearly every house is going for over a million now.
100% - we are just tracking the sale prices of nearby homes.

SPA application submitted:

Development Applications

Project description:
Site Plan application for a 3-storey apartment building with 64 bachelor units (supportive housing) and staff offices, kitchen, dining, lounge, and laundry rooms on Cedarvale Avenue between Trenton Avenue and Bracebridge Avenue (Note: the site is commonly referred to as "Trenton Avenue"). This is part of Phase 2 of the City of Toronto's Modular Housing Initiative.
------------------------------------------------------------
Montgomery Sisam Architects: 3 storeys

1617188440216.png

1617188489955.png

1617188518655.png

1617188543801.png

1617188609076.png

…and how'd it go?

The usual. Angry neighbours complaining, Toronto Sun writer giving them a "Stranger-Danger" platform...

Mayor was on the line again. It has been good to have him sit thru hours and hours of these kinds of calls on every new Modular-Housing and Rapid-Housing site. He has now seen how hard this stuff is to build if you let the local neighbours and the local councillor "have a veto".

Back