As a life long resident of the Hammer, I have to agree. So unlikely the NE quadrant would be the focus of so many HD proposals. With the start of the Design District, will see if it is infectious.
Firstly, thanks for hopping over from SSP by the way (I’m @mikevbar1 there).

I think it will, out of the sheer fact that the land is likely relatively cheap and is ripe for large assemblies. It’s cheaper than anything else downtown, perhaps because it’s the logical continuation of growth heading from west to east.

The benefit here in particular is the sheer volume of [large] lots available which are fit for larger scale assembly. Compare that to other parts of downtown like in the west- Vrancor has done some larger assemblies, but he seems to have his corner of downtown secured. If I were someone like Emblem, Slate, Fengate etc, I’d be looking for exactly what’s here.

Also consider most of the most “prime” lots on/around James St S have been scooped up over the last decade or two by local developers and/or “vapourware” projects that had little intention of being built. Someone like Fengate might prefer to have the Connolly, but they can’t. Fengate however can actually execute- this area will fill out faster just by virtue of better builders coming later to the party.

In any case, this ocean of parking will benefit from redevelopment more than those already-desirable areas, so it’s a win-win. It’s certainly an interesting phenomenon.

This looks quite well done: well proportioned, interesting massing and just enough flair. If it turns out as well as these preliminaries promise, it should be a markedly positive addition on the skyline.
Great to see Hamilton finally getting some love and attention. It was 'the big city' to me growing up as a small-town creature, and it was really prosperous and energetic in the '70's and '80's. It warms the heart to see downtown recovering at this pace, finally relieving the harsh flats of parking lots and the jarring, multiple gaps and losses in the streetwall.

Firstly, thanks for hopping over from SSP by the way (I’m @mikevbar1 there).

I think it will, out of the sheer fact that the land is likely relatively cheap and is ripe for large assemblies. It’s cheaper than anything else downtown, perhaps because it’s the logical continuation of growth heading from west to east.

The benefit here in particular is the sheer volume of [large] lots available which are fit for larger scale assembly. Compare that to other parts of downtown like in the west- Vrancor has done some larger assemblies, but he seems to have his corner of downtown secured. If I were someone like Emblem, Slate, Fengate etc, I’d be looking for exactly what’s here.

Also consider most of the most “prime” lots on/around James St S have been scooped up over the last decade or two by local developers and/or “vapourware” projects that had little intention of being built. Someone like Fengate might prefer to have the Connolly, but they can’t. Fengate however can actually execute- this area will fill out faster just by virtue of better builders coming later to the party.

In any case, this ocean of parking will benefit from redevelopment more than those already-desirable areas, so it’s a win-win. It’s certainly an interesting phenomenon.
Thank you for the kind welcome! I see this development appears to be somewhat corporately connected or associated with the Emblem's Design District, so that seems positive and or bodes well to have it come to fruition.

I would love to know who owns that full block site directly to the east, will be an epic development site for a developer with deep pockets and proof they can execute. One other site I would say is equally exciting and sadly quiet are the adjacent parcels on James between Commerce Place and the Pigott /SunLife condos - if any site in downtown could break the 30 storey height limit, this would be the one.

Thank you for the kind welcome! I see this development appears to be somewhat corporately connected or associated with the Emblem's Design District, so that seems positive and or bodes well to have it come to fruition.

I would love to know who owns that full block site directly to the east, will be an epic development site for a developer with deep pockets and proof they can execute. One other site I would say is equally exciting and sadly quiet are the adjacent parcels on James between Commerce Place and the Pigott /SunLife condos - if any site in downtown could break the 30 storey height limit, this would be the one.
I'm curious what makes you think this is connected in a way with the Design District? I'm just curious if I missed something because the developer appears to not be in a partnership with Emblem in this case, unless I missed something.

I'm curious what makes you think this is connected in a way with the Design District? I'm just curious if I missed something because the developer appears to not be in a partnership with Emblem in this case, unless I missed something.

Just from their website:

They list Emblem as one of their partners, seems a bit close to be coincidental

soon, as municipalities now only have 60 days to approve a site plan application or the municipality has to refund the application fees (a municipality rejecting a site plan application means they have to refund the fees). It means we are seeing site plan applications now much closer to when they'll be getting approval.

Once they have conditional approval it takes a few months to clear conditions, but then they get their permits.

That is, of course, that the developer decides to go right to construction.

If this, The Rebecca and the Design District are all under construction at the same time, that is going to be an insanely busy construction area of the downtown.

If this, The Rebecca and the Design District are all under construction at the same time, that is going to be an insanely busy construction area of the downtown.
And hopefully the 4th tower of the Design District also moves ahead. This area will transform almost over night.

Definitely one of the most barren drab empty areas to what will be one of the most exciting areas of downtown in short time!

Theatre Aquarius, around the corner from all these developments, had a plan to transform this area into the ‘King William Performing Arts District’.

There was some buzz around this a few years ago, but haven’t heard a thing since the pandemic.

Anyone know if the City is working with these developers to try and achieve this goal of an Arts District?

Or has this been completely abandoned?

Theatre Aquarius, around the corner from all these developments, had a plan to transform this area into the ‘King William Performing Arts District’.

There was some buzz around this a few years ago, but haven’t heard a thing since the pandemic.

Anyone know if the City is working with these developers to try and achieve this goal of an Arts District?

Or has this been completely abandoned?
To my knowledge this isn't a legitimate proposal or development plan. Civic Plan does visioning exercises to envision areas being more vibrant to encourage the city or developers to plan for this kind of thing, but nobody is actually attached to it.

Core applied for an FC to increase this to 41 storeys:

File NumberFC-23-128
Application TypeFormal Consultation
Address73 HUGHSON ST N
File Year2023
DescriptionTo develop a mixed-use 41-storey development with a 7 level podium. The 41st storey will be an amenity area. Floors 2 to 40 will be residential, with approximately 500 units. The building will have 4 levels of underground parking. Commercial spaces will b
Proposed Total Residential Units500

Back