Today:

1D6D1619-5F84-4851-A4EF-E9C434E4A2C7.jpeg
279EAAE3-D30C-4FE3-B4E0-95CD33D83A50.jpeg

Dude you're obsessed with cornices. Those will be covered in an white aluminum coping most likely. You can see it in the renders.

Dude you're obsessed with cornices. Those will be covered in an white aluminum coping most likely. You can see it in the renders.
We all have our obsessions lol.. at least cornices are cool..

And I dunno man, the renders just show it as white stone. I'll just be happy if they paint or stain it white. Don't leave it all dirty looking.

Gotta love that "ex y" park on the right lol..

rendering-75-James-Entry-1170x720.jpg

I think they'll be painted. I don't see anything wrong with them. Even the Core Urban cornices are pre-casted concrete. I had asked Steve about that recalling what you had regularly commented @Chronamut and he said that it was pretty typical to use pre-casted cornice going back pretty far into the 20th century. Very little cornice is actual chiseled stone.

This article describes the same thing: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS4139

Essentially cornices were often wood or metal in the 19th century, shifting to concrete and terra cotta in the early 20th. So the use of concrete here is not abnormal for cornices. What is less common is the cornice design being formed as part of the building construction rather than added on after as an attachment, though it wouldn't have been uncommon to do so then cover it again, and cornice was largely done to shield the building from rain water.

I have far more than the cornice to criticize here. Yes it is better than pre-cast panels, but some sheet metal even would have looked nicer. I really dislike spandrel panel, and I don't think I'm the only one on UrbanToronto with that opinion lol

Last edited:
I think they'll be painted. I don't see anything wrong with them. Even the Core Urban cornices are pre-casted concrete. I had asked Steve about that recalling what you had regularly commented @Chronamut and he said that it was pretty typical to use pre-casted cornice going back pretty far into the 20th century. Very little cornice is actual chiseled stone.

This article describes the same thing: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS4139

Essentially cornices were often wood or metal in the 19th century, shifting to concrete and terra cotta in the early 20th. So the use of concrete here is not abnormal for cornices. What is less common is the cornice design being formed as part of the building construction rather than added on after as an attachment, though it wouldn't have been uncommon to do so then cover it again, and cornice was largely done to shield the building from rain water.

I have far more than the cornice to criticize here. Yes it is better than pre-cast panels, but some sheet metal even would have looked nicer. I really dislike spandrel panel, and I don't think I'm the only one on UrbanToronto with that opinion lol
Oh yeah don't get me wrong - precast has been used for a long time - stone is a luxury I am not dissing that - even core urban doesn't use real stone. The issue here is it looking like concrete, like the concrete you form with and don't finish - like I said as long as they paint it I am fine with it - I just don't want them to form it, have it be all dirty and be like "ok that's good enough" - I get angry when they do that with the underside of balconies too - it's why I love when they paint the undersides of balconies white. Cuz like you can still see the form lines in some of them - it all being formed in place in this part is definitely the unusual part.

I am wondering what would be best in this situation though - a spray stain maybe? Cuz painting concrete does flake over time.. forming it all in place does make it rather difficult to repair over time.. with pre-cast and set you can at least just replace bits at a time.. or maybe it just needs a powerwash after.. I dunno.. oh well.

Last edited:
We all have our obsessions lol.. at least cornices are cool..

And I dunno man, the renders just show it as white stone. I'll just be happy if they paint or stain it white. Don't leave it all dirty looking.

Gotta love that "ex y" park on the right lol..

rendering-75-James-Entry-1170x720.jpg
Is that supposed to be Stelco Tower on the mid-left there? That's hilarious

I miss when storefronts were symmetrical. .I don't know WTF is going on with the "front/back" of this one.. My eyes don't know where to land lol..

Back