I recall In8 saying they wanted the building vacated last year Dec 31 so they could demolish the buildings this past spring. So much for that, unfortuantely.

In the meantime, looks like some very preliminary early interior demo has started per these photos:
1697823950340.png

1697824095339.png

1697824116989.png

1697824148901.png

Permit still hasn't been issued here yet, for whatever reason.

They closed up the mall, opened a construction office across the street, and publicly announced that demo was to start in February - I imagine something with the city is holding them up on permit issuance, but who knows.

Permit still hasn't been issued here yet, for whatever reason.

They closed up the mall, opened a construction office across the street, and publicly announced that demo was to start in February - I imagine something with the city is holding them up on permit issuance, but who knows.
I'm awaiting an update from Ward 2, here's what I heard last:

"The demolition permit has not yet been issued. They are expecting some information from the owner but will circle back to me when that happens. I’ll let you know as soon as I do."

I recall In8 saying they wanted the building vacated last year Dec 31 so they could demolish the buildings this past spring. So much for that, unfortuantely.

In the meantime, looks like some very preliminary early interior demo has started per these photos:
View attachment 514408
View attachment 514414
View attachment 514418
View attachment 514420
Love the photos as well, great talent to capture. How recent were these photos. It looks as though IN8 is not too serious about moving this forward, perhaps only if HUPEG can get there act in gear. Together they really put a damper on the positive vibe the downtown is experiencing.

IN8 isn't currently focusing on this project. Currently they are building TEK Tower in Kitchener (45 floors they are currently pouring 3rd floor walls) as well as Crown Condominiums in Kingston. Sales have also started or are planned to start shortly for 1107 Main St in Hamilton.

IN8 has approval for 2 more projects in Kitchener at 44 floors. They are also going through the approvals for different projects in London and Kingston. They are also working on a large project in Waterloo that hasn't had a formal proposal yet. Then finally there is this one.

In a RENX article from late August IN8's president said the following about this project, "construction on the 'dead-centre downtown' project is slated to begin next year and should take eight to 10 years to complete." So nothing is going to happen on this site until 2024 at the earliest based on that.

Anyone know what’s going in at the ol’ Honest Lawyer space in Jackson Square?

Workers working away inside today.

Permit to split the unit into two. One will be a hair salon school.

So Marca College is moving from the York side to the King side?

Would be awesome if Yale tore down the current Marca bldg and made a grand staircase up to the rooftop square.

This would solve the sketchy loitering (read: drug-doing) in the current stairwell, and really open up fan movement possibilities for a reno’d Copps/FOC.

IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4050.jpeg
IMG_4049.jpeg

CURRENT STATE:

IMG_4052.jpeg

Great pictures of the inside, very unfortunate how slow this one has been I thought demo would be well underway by now. Loosing hope this come to fruitarian, probably just change hands a bunch of times.

Looking through permits for surrounding buildings, it seems that demolition of 77 James St N (City Centre) is conditional on separating walls being built between Jackson Square and the York Blvd (among other conditions). But I was wondering if anyone has confirmed that these separating walls have actually been built. There may be unforeseen conditions that haven't been completed yet by neighbouring properties which is delaying this demo.

Back