I'm sitting looking out my office window at a newly completed Concert Building here in Vancouver. It is the work of a different architect, of course, but FWIW, the use of spandrel is restrained. It is a little like what I think I see in the large scale render earlier on this page. There are horizontal and vertical bands of spandrel as accent to the glass. The Spandrel is a very pleasant colour somewhere between sage and forest green. This is nowhere near as high end a building as 88 Scott and there is also extensive use of concrete in this one. It is built for a purpose that generates a steady and reliable income stream but not a high one. It was therefore especially necessary for Concert to be careful about costs, I think. Nevertheless, I saw no signs of what UT regulars call the "cheapening" compared to the renders. Moreover, they built what I think is a wonderful playground as part of the deal. More important than my opinion, the kids seem thoroughly to enjoy it.

Disclosure: I first came to this site when I was doing some internet diligence on Concert's track record, preparatory to the rather complicated deal that led to the construction of the building I described. I have met the principals and dealt closely with one of their executives in particular. I found them very good people to deal with and have, as a result, a very positive attitude towards the corporation. (And I have dealt with two other corporations as a contrast.) If the board as a whole tends to dislike the top half of the Berczy, as seems to be the case, I would think that they should not attribute the matter to cheapness on the part of the company. If I were to move back to Toronto from Vancouver, I would not be reluctant to buy from Concert.

Looks to be limited spandrel based on the current drawings. Light grey horizontal bands on the upper portions and bronze on the lower section

In that rendering, I count 8 "columns", for lack of a better word, of powder blue spandrel glass running up the glass portion of the east facade of the tower.

And we all know renderings can differ from what actually happens

In that rendering, I count 8 "columns", for lack of a better word, of powder blue spandrel glass running up the glass portion of the east facade of the tower.

I think I see nine, assuming the two sides of the east façade are symmetrical. There are three single vertical columns and two wider columns of three columns each. In addition there are small horizontal bands of spandrel. But I may be seeing it incorrectly. It is impossible to tell how much or little spandrel there is on the narrower (north?) façade, given the light treatment on the render. Higher up, it appears to be all glass, but I would not want to be very definite about that.

Whether that is too much, too little, or just right is a matter of taste for Goldilocks and all the rest of the members of UT!

Honestly I like Uptown and the white precast there, I know others who do as well; its lacking on the details but its a nice change. Honestly compared to many towers that mix a lot of precast with glazing I think it looks much better !

I'm very late to the game here to be asking this, but what will be the use of the podium behind the retained (reconstructed?) facade? Office space?

Loft condo units, a two story atrium, retail at the bottom floors and office space.

Demolition update October 4th:

886c.jpg

3z48.jpg

First Post...been lurking for a while and finally decided to make an account.

Is there any chance 88 Scott will be stone instead of precast? I like the look of the building in the renders and welcome the fact that it isn't all glass like most of the towers going up nowadays, but I feel it will end up looking tacky made of precast. There's something about real stone that just makes a building feel ten times classier/nicer. Seen comparisons to Uptown with its white precast, which looks nice I guess, but I think that too would have benefitted from real stone.

This one will be pretty visible (gardiner, maybe waterfront, east end view) so it really needs quality materials IMO.

Is there any chance 88 Scott will be stone instead of precast? I like the look of the building in the renders and welcome the fact that it isn't all glass like most of the towers going up nowadays, but I feel it will end up looking tacky made of precast. There's something about real stone that just makes a building feel ten times classier/nicer. Seen comparisons to Uptown with its white precast, which looks nice I guess, but I think that too would have benefitted from real stone.

This one will be pretty visible (gardiner, maybe waterfront, east end view) so it really needs quality materials IMO.

There is no way they are doing the tower bits with stone. One can dream, though.

Welcome to the forum!

Cladding for the first five floors will be restored limestone from the original building.

Last edited:
Welcome to the form!

Cladding for the first five floors will be restored limestone from the original building.

Thanks, I've been wanting to join for a long time actually, just never got around to it.

So I'm wondering, does precast have any advantages to stone (such as the limestone of the original building) other than cost effectiveness?

Back