Its not necessarily just about the sprawling cities/areas that make up the GTA, but how things are done- the attention to detail, the quality of finishes and care given to things - I know this is the same argument which comes and goes and persists over the years and even decades, but it is the truth. If there was more pride and interest in making real neighbourhoods/ communities, then we wouldn't see the type of development which scars the GTA.

I do not only criticize Mississauga, but the entire GTA equally- developers should share in the blame of making a blight of our communities, but so should the communities/municipalities themselves.

p5

wow those are going to some epic buildings in relation to everything around it.

Hey 42-

I am posting this here because your inbox is full. I apologize for the language and I do normally make a concentrated effort to mind my tongue. One thing though, I can't seem to find the f-bomb in the post you quoted from me.

Cheers,
p5

Last edited by a moderator:
Sept 23

IMG_sept-23-09-0009.jpg

IMG_sept-23-09-0010.jpg

Thanks for the updated shots drum118.

Any chance that in your vast folders of photos that you have some that take in as much of the square(s) in front of City Hall as possible? I'd love to get some that look down from CityGate or Ovation if you've seen those pasted anywhere.

I'd love to do some renders of the new "downtown" and/or "squares", perhaps even both in one wider shot. Ovation would probably give the best vantage point... though probably hard to get in there.

I take it these shots were from the balcony on the clock tower at City Hall?

Is downtown Mississauga going to have one main shopping or entertainment street? What is the main street down there, they all look pretty much the same in pictures? I'm trying to visualize where the pedestrian friendly shopping area might be in the future. Is there a plan to make one street a focal point for development of this kind?

Is downtown Mississauga going to have one main shopping or entertainment street? What is the main street down there, they all look pretty much the same in pictures? I'm trying to visualize where the pedestrian friendly shopping area might be in the future. Is there a plan to make one street a focal point for development of this kind?

"Downtown" Mississauga is largely understood by residents to be the area around the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas. Lined with endless strip malls and mid- to low-rise apartment buildings, it's walkable, but frankly somewhat seedy in stretches.

The area in question here is "City Centre" which is the area around Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. This largely comprises high-rise apartment/condo buildings, office towers, Square One and City Hall. It's sprawling and much, much less walkable. The City is trying to offset the sprawl with a new civic square in development adjacent to City Hall, but I'm not holding my breath.

The pleasantly walkable parts of Missy, IMHO, are Streetsville's Queen Street, Lakeshore Road in Port Credit and in Clarkson Village, Old Meadowvale Village and the greenbelt trails interwoven in the (newer and unrelated) Meadowvale subdivision.

"Downtown" Mississauga is largely understood by residents to be the area around the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas. Lined with endless strip malls and mid- to low-rise apartment buildings, it's walkable, but frankly somewhat seedy in stretches.

The area in question here is "City Centre" which is the area around Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe. This largely comprises high-rise apartment/condo buildings, office towers, Square One and City Hall. It's sprawling and much, much less walkable. The City is trying to offset the sprawl with a new civic square in development adjacent to City Hall, but I'm not holding my breath.

The pleasantly walkable parts of Missy, IMHO, are Streetsville's Queen Street, Lakeshore Road in Port Credit and in Clarkson Village, Old Meadowvale Village and the greenbelt trails interwoven in the (newer and unrelated) Meadowvale subdivision.

Hurontario/Dundas is not the downtown. The downtown is around Square One. I would say more people consider City Centre to be downtown because the highrises and type of development resemble more of a downtown than Hurontario/Dundas. Even the city refers to City Centre as 'Downtown'.

As for the question,

I have a feeling Confederation Parkway is going to be a major downtown street with a nice continuous streetwall. There were plans to turn Square One drive into a main street in the past, but it now looks like the city is trying to create a new main street district in the South West parking lot of Square One.

Torontovibe:

please take your questions regarding the plans for a pedestrianized dntn Mississauga to the Downtown Mississauga Master Plan thread, and consider reading the thread first before jumping in with questions!

I'm going to hold off judging this till it's finished ... and I wouldn't be suprised of my opinion changes but...

This is not as impressive as I thought it would be in the renderings, and yes I've seen it in person. From medium distances it's hard to even discern the twisting - although that'll probably change when all is said and done.

Okay, I'll shut up for now ... I'll post again when we'll on the 30th floor - should be more clear then.

Marilyn continues to grow - now working on the 18th floor....pics by Jasonzed at SSC...

09262009010.jpg

09262009014.jpg

09262009063.jpg

I'm going to hold off judging this till it's finished ... and I wouldn't be suprised of my opinion changes but...

This is not as impressive as I thought it would be in the renderings, and yes I've seen it in person. From medium distances it's hard to even discern the twisting - although that'll probably change when all is said and done.

Okay, I'll shut up for now ... I'll post again when we'll on the 30th floor - should be more clear then.

Just looking at this rendering, the big twist seems to be at around the 28th floor or so...i.e., her "hip" on the right side...so we have a ways to go before anything too dramatic......

MAD_tower_04.jpg

That's not an accurate render. It was one of the revisions from the original (true) Marylin design, while each subsequent revision changed from a more organic, flowing set of curves to a simple 180 degree twist.

You can see in the following image that there is a more gradual turn happening to about the 20th floor - then a decided twist through the middle section to about the 38th floor - and then a more gradual turn for the remaining 18 floors or so. There really are no more actual "hips" or anything else womanly... it just a twisting tower with most of the twist in the middle 1/3 of the shape.

Absolute-Condos-Mississauga.jpg

Back