Yeah, you're jealous. :D

Hell YEAH! One of the coolest new developments in the whole GTA and it goes to Mississauga!

Nobody out there is going to give it more than a passing glance out their rear view mirror. Buildings like that need to be put in an urban setting, where retail in the podium can thrive, where people can sit in outdoor patios and look up at it's sensual curves and where these buildings can add to the beauty of it's surroundings. By itself, surrounded by streets that look like highways, it just makes no sense.

Those poor towers deserve better! They deserve people who will give them the proper love and respect they deserve. I don't think that's possible in Sauga. Do Mississaugans care about architecture, design and urbanity? If they do, how did they let it turn out the way it did? I haven't been to Mississauga in a few years but from what I remember, I can't see this fitting in at all. Maybe it's a sign of change, and that can only be a good thing.

God, I am so jealous!

Those poor towers deserve better! They deserve people who will give them the proper love and respect they deserve. I don't think that's possible in Sauga. Do Mississaugans care about architecture, design and urbanity? If they do, how did they let it turn out the way it did?

You're right. The towers deserve a city that is ready for change, ready for something big, and willing to take a chance with something different. Thats why they are being built in Mississauga.

If Mississaugan's did not care about architecture, this design would not have won the international design competition. Mississaugan's were the ones who voted for the design. They obviously do care enough to select it as the winning design. Not only that, but Mississaugans also purchased in this development, making it one of the fastest selling projects in the GTA. The second tower would not have had a similar design if Mississauga didn't care about architecture.

As for the way Mississauga turned out... Its a product of its time. Even the parts of Toronto that developed at the same time as Mississauga were built in the same way. You can't blame Mississaugan's for that. Sprawl was the right thing to do at the time everywhere.

Nobody out there is going to give it more than a passing glance out their rear view mirror.

Are you kidding me? Everyone here is excited about this building. My mom is excited by this building. You really think you can drop 50+ storey towers into any city on earth (let alone ones shaped like Marilyn!) and have nobody notice?

I haven't been to Mississauga in a few years but from what I remember, I can't see this fitting in at all. Maybe it's a sign of change, and that can only be a good thing.

Well there you go. Yes, there have been lots of changes, and OF COURSE it's a good thing. Come out and see for yourself.

All those towers and I still can't find a single pedestrian walking on the street.
I thought you haven't been to Mississauga in a few years? These photos specifically are a bad example, because it's a construction site that has closed off the sidewalks, directing pedestrians to the opposite sides of the intersection.

It's no Yonge+Bloor, of course. Speaking of which, what do you suppose was there before the city started growing northwards? Farms, maybe??

So very tired of the anti-Mississauga rants. People just think the city is supposed to turn urban like downtown Toronto overnight. People need to go visit other major and medium sized cities in the rest of North America to see that Mississauga is far more urban than many cities, even Los Angeles!

So very tired of the anti-Mississauga rants. People just think the city is supposed to turn urban like downtown Toronto overnight. People need to go visit other major and medium sized cities in the rest of North America to see that Mississauga is far more urban than many cities, even Los Angeles!

Not sure you are completely correct in that assumption- I have spent a lot of time in LA and it is definitely more urban than Mississauga. However, I do agree that Mississauga does take its fair share of flak over not being urban enough, but that might change, given time.

My mom is excited by this building.
Ah yes, mothers being excited by tall, long, phallic looking things. LOL!

p5

As much as you hate such comments why spur idiotic comments such as the one above, have you ever been to Los Angles before? It has extremely urban areas, more then anything MCC will have ... and that's fine ...

Maybe if you picked Houston I would have been more supportive :)

But yes, I'm sick of the anti-Mississauga sentiment as well. At the same rate, constructive criticism / advice is not a bad idea ... like my idea, emulate NYCC main / one street idea and focus on it. MCC will have the density to support more then NYCC in the long term but start with that - that's what creates vibrancy verse a few grade level retail in new developments surrounded by no retail.

You MCC folks seem big on density, good but the same should apply to retail.

Many people on these forums are grossly out of touch with reality. Mississauga is great for what it is. It's somewhere I would definitely consider moving back to one day to raise a family, as I consider a more urban place like downtown Toronto much less appropriate.

But that's a whole other can of worms...

Many people on these forums are grossly out of touch with reality. Mississauga is great for what it is. It's somewhere I would definitely consider moving back to one day to raise a family, as I consider a more urban place like downtown Toronto much less appropriate.

But that's a whole other can of worms...

Nope not really, I can see where your coming from with that, although yes some would consider it a can of worms.

But then, I prefer NYCC and not for its location on the subway ... but for it, it self ... hence my idea that MCC should develop some main street - something with concentration. It has all the potential in the world.

... hence my idea that MCC should develop some main street - something with concentration. It has all the potential in the world.
The MCC area is just too different spatially to become like NYCC. There is more room to grow withing the "zone" to be a little more mixed and spread out - which can be both god and bad - depending on how the rest s able to remake the area.

Eventually, I think the stretch of Dundas between Hurontario and Dixie (plus a few blocks further in each direction) will be what becomes the more "busy corridor" type of area... heavily populated with residential towers with mixed use bases, replacing aging strip malls = NYCC.

As much as you hate such comments why spur idiotic comments such as the one above...
- Taal

Why was my comment idiotic? Funny I can see, but idiotic? Not that I care what you think, but please do enlighten me with your intellect.

p5

Lively and vibrant street life.

Specifically, a diverse mix of people shopping, sitting at outdoor cafes, chatting, enjoying street performers, etc. All I see in Mississauga are people walking their dogs and waiting at bus stops... just like the suburbs.

Mississauga is a suburb, and around square one there is some action but elsewhere it is pretty dead. I like mississauga personally, it was rated in the top 5 cities of Canada or North America I believe. Peel Police do their job, LOL.

Mississauga has been preparing for better architecture for a while now. The city hall was rather ambitious, and it turned out wonderfully.

These soon-to-be icons, they would do better at Yonge and Bloor, providing modifications for a lot of premium retail were made and balconies eliminated. It's a real triumph for Mississauga, and especially unfortunate that with a second chance for 1 Bloor we haven't heard anything promising.

Wow...

This is the most action I've seen on this board in a while...

Yeah, and all it took was one critical comment about Mississauga, and the suburbanites jump to their feet to defend their suburban paradise. I grew up in North York and I thought it sucked when I lived there but NYCC is much more walkable than MCC will probably ever be. (though it is a shame how it turned out, it could have been so much better) I'm glad to hear things are changing but I just wonder, how much change will occur in a place where people moved, to to escape urban living. If it's a city in love with their cars, how much urbanity can we expect?

I haven't been to MCC for a few years but I've seen enough pics on here to see it hasn't changed much. Yes, you do have a few taller towers but do they help to animate the street? How many of those new towers have retail in their podiums, or libraries, or cinemas or something for public use? Tall buildings, in themselves, do not create interesting, lively streets. What's happening in MCC on the street level?

Every tower that is built without retail or a public use, is one more missed opportunity and it prevents MCC from becoming more urban and interesting to explore. How many more towers in the park can you put up before you say hey, is this the way to build a downtown? Put those towers along a sidewalk, get some major retail and a few outdoor patios and let's see some progress. If there already are streets in MCC lined with stores and restaurants, post the pics and let's see it. Show me what I'm missing. After all this talk for years, about MCC developing a real downtown, is there even one major store in downtown Mississauga, that's on a downtown street? (and not in a mall)

I just think it would be a shame to build such cool buildings and let them sit in a suburban setting. These towers should be in a major tourist/pedestrian area, where they could add to the vibrancy. Mississauga needs to get serious or just forget about it. I hear lots of talk but see little action. (again, by pics I've seen on here) Taller towers don't equal livelier streets, if everybody's trapped in cars.

Back