News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

( and I sit here eating my "Bible Bar - contains the 7 foods of Deuteronomy 8.8" - as it says on the wrapper! ).

Mmmmm ... yummy!

Astral wins coordinated street furniture contract!

As being reported on the Spacing Wire...

http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=1810

437904748_4c0896979e.jpg

though its could use some fine tuning the best proposal won.those new newspaper boxes will make a huge difference.

It is the one I would have selected of the four designs. I don't think any of the designs are unique enough to create a Toronto brand. We will probably see these exact designs show up in other places.

LOL

Astral just look the existing designs and made them a big more pleasing...they fit with the old bus shelters so the city probably picked Astral so they could save the cost of replacing relatively new shelters.

The city isn't saving money by not replacing the old shelters. Astral will pay the city for the privilege of installing the street furniture and make revenue by selling advertising (of which the city gets a portion).

Heck of a deal for the city of Toronto if you ask me!

From the Post:

Quebec company wins design contest
Street Furniture; Astral Media envisions sleek bus shelters and funky public toilets
Adir Glick, National Post, with files from Rob Roberts
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2007

An independent design jury has recommended Astral Media Outdoor design and build Toronto's new street furniture.

Astral's proposal -- which envisions sleek, glass-walled bus shelters, funky public toilets, and bicycle mini-garages -- was chosen over competing proposals from Clear Channel and CBS Outdoors Canada.

One highlight of the winning scheme: Astral's curvy trash cans come with foot pedals.

"We've all tried to use the existing litter cans. For me, I wouldn't even want to touch them. Here, we've created a system where you can put in your garbage without making contact with the garbage," Jeremy Kramer of Kramer Design Associates, partners of Astral Media Outdoor, told the National Post this month.

The Quebec-based company would redesign all of Toronto's waste/recycling bins, benches, information kiosks, public washrooms and bicycle parking units. The proposed bus shelters are "off-grid" -- solar powered.

"We've also designed a system for personalization so different districts, BIAs and different cultural groups in the city can really put their mark on the furniture," Mr. Kramer said.

The recommendation will go to city council's executive committee on April 30, and to city council in May. The final designs are still subject to negotiation.

The new street furniture would make their way onto the city's streets in spring 2008.

A city staff report says the deal guarantees the city revenue of $429-million over the 20-year term of the agreement.

It also suggests using some of the revenue to create a "pedestrian realm organizational unit" to manage public space issues.

"In order to achieve the widespread benefits of beautiful, functional and safe pedestrian spaces ... including adequately managing the street furniture program, it will be essential to establish a dedicated organizational unit that would have strategic responsibility and accountablity for ... the pedestrian realm," the report says.

© National Post 2007

AoD

The city isn't saving money by not replacing the old shelters. Astral will pay the city for the privilege of installing the street furniture and make revenue by selling advertising (of which the city gets a portion).

Heck of a deal for the city of Toronto if you ask me!

wow, that IS a good deal. if stuff like that gets things done, we should whore out the TTC too.

From the Post:

Quebec company wins design contest
Street Furniture; Astral Media envisions sleek bus shelters and funky public toilets
Adir Glick, National Post, with files from Rob Roberts
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2007

An independent design jury has recommended Astral Media Outdoor design and build Toronto's new street furniture.

Astral's proposal -- which envisions sleek, glass-walled bus shelters, funky public toilets, and bicycle mini-garages -- was chosen over competing proposals from Clear Channel and CBS Outdoors Canada.

One highlight of the winning scheme: Astral's curvy trash cans come with foot pedals.

"We've all tried to use the existing litter cans. For me, I wouldn't even want to touch them. Here, we've created a system where you can put in your garbage without making contact with the garbage," Jeremy Kramer of Kramer Design Associates, partners of Astral Media Outdoor, told the National Post this month.

The Quebec-based company would redesign all of Toronto's waste/recycling bins, benches, information kiosks, public washrooms and bicycle parking units. The proposed bus shelters are "off-grid" -- solar powered.

"We've also designed a system for personalization so different districts, BIAs and different cultural groups in the city can really put their mark on the furniture," Mr. Kramer said.

The recommendation will go to city council's executive committee on April 30, and to city council in May. The final designs are still subject to negotiation.

The new street furniture would make their way onto the city's streets in spring 2008.

A city staff report says the deal guarantees the city revenue of $429-million over the 20-year term of the agreement.

It also suggests using some of the revenue to create a "pedestrian realm organizational unit" to manage public space issues.

"In order to achieve the widespread benefits of beautiful, functional and safe pedestrian spaces ... including adequately managing the street furniture program, it will be essential to establish a dedicated organizational unit that would have strategic responsibility and accountablity for ... the pedestrian realm," the report says.

© National Post 2007

AoD

Good to hear! Any idea if we will be seeing those public toilets in 2008 too or will those will be subject to more debate?

Astral should be held accountable for all the illegal signs and their rights under this agreement, including rights to money, should be affected. In other words, fine them for the illegal billboards and add the debt to the amount of money they have to pay to the city (although I am sure the contract will not allow such...but potentially its good leverage).

wow, that IS a good deal. if stuff like that gets things done, we should whore out the TTC too.

I can't wait until the whole city looks like every public amenity was purchased at Walmart because it was such a great deal. If we become "Toronto: The Cheap Replica City" think of the savings! We could get public statues and fountains from the local home & garden centre. :(

Back