I was just saying that if they are gonna put up hoarding, why not put it now?... I don't see the harm in putting up hoarding instead of fencing at this stage

I don't know but bear in mind that the fencing is on their property while the hoarding will be on public property.

Hoarding is a massive use of manpower when it is being built, and I'm pretty sure it isn't promoted to obstruct the sidewalk and street for a long time.

True enough... this groundbreaking process should take a while... i would expect to see us hit the bottom in about a year...

This site was noisy(!) and buzzing today. Both good things, because they are a sign of progress, IMO.

I had no idea this had already become a full-fledged construction site, so it caught me quite off-guard to be honest.

Isn't this sidewalk actually going to be closed for the construction, plus one lane? I remember talking about that many pages ago.

It is so this fence is just temporary until they alter the sidewalk routes and take over the lanes on Yonge & Gerrard streets.

Remember back to RoCP 1 & 2, they used crappy hoarding facing both Bay Street (with some advertising for the project on parts of it) and facing the park which was painted dark blue in some areas and robin's-egg blue in other areas mixed with fencing for site access. I don't know what would be considered more "high profile", Yonge or Bay Streets but don't expect anything spectacular here. RoCP was a construction site for well over three years and (I believe) was the second deepest excavation this cycle, after Shangri-la.

It's probably for the retaining wall - that's why they are drilliing at the perimeter of the site. I think this site is pretty close to the buried Taddle Creek, which had caused groundwater problems at Murano...so maybe they needed to have that's more watertight before they can dig?

AoD

Last edited:
They use the concrete to hold the steel columns for the retaining wall in place. Very common even at this early stage.

That explains the drilling on the south side of the lot, but what about the moving of dirt on the north side?

It's probably for the retaining wall - that's why they are drilliing at the perimeter of the site. I think this site is pretty close to the buried Taddle Creek, which had caused groundwater problems at Murano...so maybe they needed to have that's more watertight before they can dig?

AoD

I believe that the main branch of Taddle Creek crossed from west to east further south of this site, closer to the middle of the Eaton Centre, but that there were some smaller tributaries north of this that fed into Taddle further downstream and could be related to the necessity for a watertight cassion wall at Aura. See: http://lostrivers.ca/taddlekey.htm

I could be (and probably am) mistaken, but I was always under the impression that Taddle Creek did run under College Park because that was the reason Eaton's scaled back their plans for the site.

But then even if that is the case it could be running under the Liberties for all I know.

My understanding has always been that the real Taddle Creek (the St. Patrick reach) ran under the Eaton Centre. See: http://lostrivers.ca/stpatrickr.htm Other tributaries of other creeks that fed into Taddle are north up Yonge from that. See: http://lostrivers.ca/mossparkcreek.htm However, for ease of reference, many perhaps just refer to all of this as Taddle, as to them perhaps it doesn't matter as none of these creeks runs on the surface any longer and are mostly forgotten except by a few of us who care. . .

Back