Deepest level where humans can travel to is in a Sudbury mine shaft.

The deepest Sudbury mine shaft is in the Creighton nickel mine, at 2400m (7800 feet) under ground level. That is indeed quite deep, but the deepest mine shaft in the world is in the TauTona gold mine in South Africa, at 3900m (12800 feet) under ground level.

The Aura Tower

Finally, an unapologetically brash, in your face tower for Toronto!
aura-pov.jpg

^I don't think Aura is all that, but it does make the RoCP towers look particularly dowdy in comparison.

Actually, the first time this render was shown on this thread several years ago (post #868 by 3Dementia, March 2 2008), it was demonstrated that this is actually a very close depiction of how Aura would look from that location. Some things to keep in mind:

1. The lower portions of the existing RoCP buildings are blocked by nearer buildings -- their actual total heights are significantly more than what is visible from the viewpoint location.

2. Aura is a lot taller than RoCP I and II, and it is quite a bit nearer to the viewpoint location.

When you do the geometry, the image is actually fairly accurate.

Last edited:
Not sure brash is the proper term, but I like your enthusiasm Jcool. While not quite the same situation, it does conjure up a similar tower in a similar context:

Paris_rue_rennes.jpg

La tour Montparnasse

p5

The Hotel Georgia development in downtown Vancouver has ten basement levels. That would suck.

Finally, an unapologetically brash, in your face tower for Toronto!
aura-pov.jpg

what would be even cooler would be if the "unapologetically brash, in your face tower" was being designed by a highly accomplished and significant architect, and was being developed by a firm committed to quality construction materials.

based on ROCP, i have a knot in my stomach thinking about what this thing is finally going to look like. if they build a tower of that size, with the same quality of cladding as ROCP, it is going to be a disaster for the city.

based on ROCP, i have a knot in my stomach thinking about what this thing is finally going to look like. if they build a tower of that size, with the same quality of cladding as ROCP, it is going to be a disaster for the city.

Given the track record with ROCP this may or may not make you feel any better, but it is my understanding that the upper levels of the tower are intended to be clad in curtain wall.

This tower is going to change the face of the skyline. you can just tell how tall the tower is by looking at the "squared off" setbacks in the bottom halves of the tower. those setbacks are basically the size of the ROCP towers. this tower is huge!

Maybe the render is slightly off but its very close to the real thing.:)

Given the track record with ROCP this may or may not make you feel any better, but it is my understanding that the upper levels of the tower are intended to be clad in curtain wall.

What's this hate for ROCP based on? Sure you might not like it but materials used seemed pretty high quality to me, from the glass to the podium to the cladding ... good to know either way! Thanks Mike

Intended and actual are two very different things. Look at Trump for example.

Back