The building at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard housed the Glass Head Shoppe and was there as late as the early 90's, if memory serves.

Just reposting a picture from the "evocative images" thread - Hayter street used to run through this site, and from this image, there is a pharmacy in the old building on the south side.

Attachments

• Yonge and Hayter.jpg
    Yonge and Hayter.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 300
I love old pictures like this. Thank you for the pic and thank you to all of you who have facts for the history lesson.

I have seen references to Hayter St. on city documents, so it might. It should survive Aura as well, since the last plans I saw called for an landscaped alleyway running between Aura and College Park at ground level

The same idea, really - the instant you step in the river it changes because the molecules flow away and are replaced by an entirely different river. But I think steve/eve's philosophical musings about how things remain the same and change is deeper - he talks about "how all the roads are still the same" - I think there's irony there, we sense that isn't really true - and that it's not merely a case of how "the surrounding atmosphere has totally evolved!". He makes us confront the idea that even that which appears not to change actually does.

It seems that the buildings that went up during this period on the lands sold by Eaton's as surplus were uniformly done in limestone, the notable exception being Maple Leaf Gardens (which has limestone trim). Even the two little buildings that still stand on what was surplus Eaton's lands at the northeast corner of Carlton and Church were limestone. It could be a coincidence, but I wonder if Eaton's required this as a condition of sale in order to ensure suitable surroundings for the College Street store?

Technically, is the stump off Yonge still officially known as "Hayter Street"?

Hayter lives on as a little segment connecting Bay to LaPlante, and just re-opened after being closed for years as an Enwave construction site. McGill street (the vantage point of the photographer) was sealed off from Yonge to loop into Granby.

I know that part is "active", but I wondering more particularly about the token stub off Yonge...

^ It's my understanding that the "token stub" will remain once the redevelopment is complete as a public walkway (with enhancements as part of the project) into College Park.

This morning i woke up to the sound of chainsaws. I looked out my window and they are chopping down the trees in the south east part of college park and throwing them through the chipper. It's always sad to see the tree's go - but the building should be a great addition to the city.

This morning i woke up to the sound of chainsaws. I looked out my window and they are chopping down the trees in the south east part of college park and throwing them through the chipper. It's always sad to see the tree's go - but the building should be a great addition to the city.

"Save the trees!!! :eek:" lol...

When many new buildings are complete... they usually will add more trees once things are complete... (hopefully!)

*But after all... College Park IS next door :)

It's probably for the retaining wall - that's why they are drilliing at the perimeter of the site. I think this site is pretty close to the buried Taddle Creek, which had caused groundwater problems at Murano...so maybe they needed to have that's more watertight before they can dig?

AoD

It's part of the shoring system, either soldier pile (the steel part) and lagging (wooden slats) or an interlocking caisson (concrete) wall. Generally soldier pile and lagging is considered flexible while interlocking caisson walls are considered rigid. Rigid shoring would be used where adjacent structures cannot tolerate any movement (ie existing College Park buildings). There might be soldier piles along College Street, where slight movement isn't as critical. Caisson walls also have the advantage of being more watertight.

In either case Deep Foundation (DFC) will auger to the required depth, insert the steel pile and fill the hole with concrete. If they are constructing Soldier Pile and lagging, they will space the piles about 3 metres apart and then fill in the gap with horizontal pieces of wood as they excavate. If they are constructing a caisson wall they will auger the piles close enough together that they connect (ie interlock). Once all of the piles are in they will start to excavate.

Back