I do like tall buildings but is the skyline really that important?

Interesting post this morning by LeftCoaster over at SSP....

Just a little rumour for you guys, but looks like some movement over at BAII might see it start construction before year end.

I can't talk about any of the details as of yet but hopefully things progress.

The skyline view is an iconic split second, but it's only a by-product of what is really important, which is the experience of the city from within.

Obviously making the city more livable is of much greater importance. Though on a personally level I'm quite satisfied with this cities livability, but less so with its skyline :p

From WhipperSnapper over at SSP

Scotia will be moving offices into Bay Adelaide 2. However, it won't be abandoning it's headquarters and Bay Adelaide 2 is still planned as a slightly shorter twin of phase one. Construction should begin this summer on both ph. 2 and 3.

The fact that both he and Left Coater have said BAII could start this year is certainly encouraging, as those are two of the most in the know people who have contributed to the forums.

Awesome news. So I guess this means Scotia found a buyer for Scotia Plaza, wonder if they got the 1bln+ they were looking for. And good news about them retaining it as their headquarters (assuming that would mean the name and tower logo remain intact).

Hope BACII isn't as bland as the original.

Yes, residential. I had a brain seizure for a moment there.

I dont know about that anymore...seems to me they would rather stay away from residential
From Brookfield’s website...............Bay Adelaide Centre East and North

Development Site
Toronto, Ontario
Pre-Development Phase
Square Feet
Adjacent to Brookfield’s new 51-storey office development (Bay Adelaide West) in the Financial Core, Bay Adelaide East is a 43-storey, 900,000- square-foot office tower planned for the second phase of the Bay Adelaide Centre project. The tower is designed to achieve LEED Gold certification and will feature state-of-the-art operating and life safety systems. Connected to Toronto’s PATH system, the tower will have direct access to the 27 kilometer below grade public walkway and retail network.

Bay Adelaide North is the third phase of the Bay Adelaide Centre project and could accommodate a new development of up to 500,000 square feet.
http://brookfieldofficeproperties.com/content/portfolio/development-8943.html

Last edited:
Awesome news. So I guess this means Scotia found a buyer for Scotia Plaza, wonder if they got the 1bln+ they were looking for. And good news about them retaining it as their headquarters (assuming that would mean the name and tower logo remain intact).

Hope BACII isn't as bland as the original.

Does not sound like they have sold it yet, unless its happened in the last couple weeks

Canadian office towers fill up as oil boom reverberates
Pension funds may be among the investors pursuing Scotia Plaza, said White of Avison Young. Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, the country’s second-biggest pension fund, may consider bidding for the property, Chief Executive Officer David Denison said in a February interview.

The main Scotia Plaza skyscraper at 40 King St. West is the second tallest in Canada, after the 72-story First Canadian Place in Toronto. The building was completed in 1988.

“It’s a marquee asset,” Andrew of Queen’s University said of Scotia Plaza. “It’ll be over a billion, no question
.”
http://business.financialpost.com/2...fice-towers-fill-up-as-oil-boom-reverberates/

Back