I would agree that it should be an important space - but City hall could do more to make it so - no one goes there unless they are protesting or enjoying new Years Eve, In either case shadows are not an issue.

They are completely rebuilding the place. They should do more than that? A public square of this significance needs as much sun as it can get, especially in Canada. Ensuring it is a sunless piece of concrete is ensuing nobody will linger in the square most of the year.

I would agree that it should be an important space - but City hall could do more to make it so - no one goes there unless they are protesting or enjoying new Years Eve, In either case shadows are not an issue.

Throughout the year I see people mingling about, taking photos, eating food, enjoying the water feature/skating - shadows are a real issue on this important civic space. Presumably there will be more entertainment than before once the stage is operational which will drive even more people into the Square. By early summer of 2013 the Square will have a quite different feel than it used to and be so much more enjoyable to hang out in with all the improvements and new features.

Nuts! I went skating yesterday at City Hall and it was packed. And it was great when the sun finally passed the Sheraton so we could get some heat.

Bryant Park in NYC is surrounded by tall buildings but seems to function very well in terms of attracting people. It is further shaded by its canopy of trees. It is absolutely gorgeous all seasons of the year though.

Given the location I would tend to agree that we are being a little silly about the issue of shadows in NPS. Rather than fighting the reality of the adjacent financial district we should probably just embrace it a little more... and many plants and trees thrive in shade, by the way.

Bryant Park in NYC is surrounded by tall buildings but seems to function very well in terms of attracting people. It is further shaded by its canopy of trees. It is absolutely gorgeous all seasons of the year though.

Given the location I would tend to agree that we are being a little silly about the issue of shadows in NPS. Rather than fighting the reality of the adjacent financial district we should probably just embrace it a little more... and many plants and trees thrive in shade, by the way.

Love bryant parks trees! but I think a barren piece of concrete with shade is not going to hold the same appeal as a natural environment with shade. ALSO NYC is considerably warmer then Toronto and as a result the shade doesnt hurt it as much.. Toronto public places need as much sun as possible to stay warm.

Last edited:
LOL, well true... and quite honestly I don't like NPS at all, but I do understand its importance and I do understand what some people see in it. Hopefully the improvements that are planned will make it a little more welcoming for those of us who just don't like dirty concrete.

LOL, well true... and quite honestly I don't like NPS at all, but I do understand its importance and I do understand what some people see in it. Hopefully the improvements that are planned will make it a little more welcoming for those of us who just don't like dirty concrete.

Seeing how all of the flooring i.e. the dirty concrete tiles are staying put, I doubt you'll be a fan even when the renovation is complete.

Actually, an image such as this may be the best neutralizer for any remaining criticism of NPS, "dirty concrete" and all.

jacklaytontribute-540x359.jpg

Now, if we don't mind, let's get back on thread topic.

Actually, an image such as this may be the best neutralizer for any remaining criticism of NPS, "dirty concrete" and all.

Now, if we don't mind, let's get back on thread topic.

You have to admit thats a pretty cold and barren place. In a city of what 6.5 million people, seeing 100 or so people scattered across a concrete field - gives me the shivers.

This could be great if they added some trees and grass. Whay isn't this a great "lawn"? Maybe add some gardens etc?

All I'm saying is it seems preposterous for city hall to demand sunlight on a place that they have covered in sterile conctrete.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are gardens. It's surrounded by grass and trees. There's even a garden on the west side. It makes sense to have a large concrete plaza here. I'm not saying it's without problems (elevated walkway, etc.), but basically every European city has a large sun-filled stone or concrete square free of trees and grass.

The real problem is that most downtown streets are so barren and dusty. That's where trees need to be. Strong, healthy ones with room for roots to grow.

Last edited:
You have to admit thats a pretty cold and barren place. In a city of what 6.5 million people, seeing 100 or so people scattered across a concrete field - gives me the shivers.

This could be great if they added some trees and grass. Whay isn't this a great "lawn"? Maybe add some gardens etc?

All I'm saying is it seems preposterous for city hall to demand sunlight on a place that they have covered in sterile conctrete.

Somehow, given the nature and subject of the pic I posted, a response like this comes across all the more blind-spot philistinish...

The concrete would be friendlier in the shade and darkness? Downtown squares tend to be covered in cement, bricks, or stone because it is a place for people to walk on. The coming and going crowds, tents, booths, etc would kill grass. Look at Dundas Square, the finish is darker than that cement.

Paved squares are much better than parks in the winter. No one wants to hold events on muddy lawns in the winter, but Nathan Phillips Square sees events throughout the winter. The square is not without its issues (many of which are being addressed in the renovation), but no matter what, it's an important, iconic, and well-used public space that requires the best conditions like lots of sunlight in the winter. The Financial District will have tall buildings, but the city can plan things out to achieve the density and a good square. It could be a better space, but the best conditions have to be preserved for its success.

I have a feeling the whole park vs. square argument is a strawman anyways, especially when one had already established their position early on, and referred to the space as "underused".

AoD

Perhaps, but to be fair the whole park/square issue only seemed to matter to those wanting to preserve NPS for basking in the sun. Many of us have mentioned that a civic square will function just as well in partial shade (in some respects better).

Back