You are right!
Instead of two towers of medium size , one supertall should be constructed on this location.
But Toronto is way too "conservative" for that...

What Toronto needs is something huge at this spot, or at the 45 Bay Street plot ... that would surpass that rather stale 72 storey 1st CDN place thingey. It's coming on 4 decades now that that stale uninspiring landmark has dominated downtown, time for something to make a statement. Bring on the 100+ smack downtown.

You are right!
Instead of two towers of medium size , one supertall should be constructed on this location.
But Toronto is way too "conservative" for that...

I agree, there is a Tall Buildings Guideline that many people here on UT want passed imediately that clearly states that height is unlimited for this area...but then again there is NPS shadowing issue.... that pretty well kills any chance of a proposed supertall getting approved north of Wellington:confused:

What Toronto needs is something huge at this spot, or at the 45 Bay Street plot ... that would surpass that rather stale 72 storey 1st CDN place thingey. It's coming on 4 decades now that that stale uninspiring landmark has dominated downtown, time for something to make a statement. Bring on the 100+ smack downtown.

I object to calling FCP "stale" and "uninspiring", but I agree that it's reign needs to come to an end within this boom, or it will seem like a wasted opportunity for decades.

Toronto braces for new office tower onslaught

Toronto’s downtown office market appears poised to explode again with construction, as the commercial real estate industry waits for that one spark to kick start the office sector.

Rumours continue to swirl that Brookfield Office Properties will begin a new round of aggressive building in the country’s largest office market with an announcement that it will go ahead with the second tower for its Bay-Adelaide Centre which provided much of the impetus for a round of construction when its first tower was announced in 2006.

Accounting and consulting firm Deloitte Canada is said to be the big fish Brookfield is courting for its second tower while the CPP Investment Board is said to be looking for as much as 180,000 square feet of space.

“I think we are definitely at the point where we can justify new construction,” says Ross Moore, director of Research for Canada for CB Richard Ellis, about the current vacancy rate of 4.7% in Toronto’s downtown core.

Brookfield spokesman Melissa Coley says there is nothing to report on the project other than it’s in planning stages. The company’s web site says its new building Bay Adelaide East is a 43-storey, 900,000-square-foot office tower

You can feel the wave building by the day,” says Mr. Moore, about new construction. “I think in the next 60 days we are going to have announcements that will probably surprise a lot of people.”

If you add up everything that is about to be built in the downtown it equals 4.1-million square feet, just slightly below the 4.4 million square feet built in the last wave of construction.
More.............http://business.financialpost.com/2012/05/09/toronto-braces-for-new-office-tower-onslaught/

Last edited:
Among the buildings in addition to Bay Adelaide expected to go are RBC WaterPark Place, a 933,000 square development by Oxford Properties Corp., One York, an 800,000 square foot project from Menkes Developments Inc. and the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan and 760,000 square foot building from GWL Realty Advisors which has signed up two major tenants.

Interesting they left out the Adelaide project but included 1 York which I would have thought is a lot more preliminary

Just curious what you all think please don't get angry just a question that bothers..

If you are one who decided to live in a major developing city key word like Toronto.. Shadows are to be expected.cities have tall buildings and it's a trend now that will not be going away anytime in the next few 10000 years so. Get over it people.. Just moved the parks. But they need to fully develope into mature trees before ever getting rid of ones in place that may later be effected by shadows.. Toronto is growing and always will continue to do so. It's inevitable is it not. So. Why move to the city if your worried about bloody shadows.. You can't have both worlds in Toronto.. Here is not enough room in the core to have such a silly issue. Is there not city planners in Toronto to see the big picture of where it's headed. There will never be a park like in new York. There's just not enough room here to allow for a big park and big towers so.. I'm stick.. What's to come of Toronto with only filling the gaps with towers relatively the same highta in the end.

Last edited:
“I think in the next 60 days we are going to have announcements that will probably surprise a lot of people.”

Something taller than 50 floors would be appreciated.. Kthxbye:)

Well I certainly don't care how tall this project is but I welcome any commercial project that will add jobs and value to the fiancial core. I just hope not too many of these projects are shuffling clients into new projects at lower tax rates and that the net aggregate level of jobs and economic activity is increasing.

Well I certainly don't care how tall this project is but I welcome any commercial project that will add jobs and value to the fiancial core. I just hope not too many of these projects are shuffling clients into new projects at lower tax rates and that the net aggregate level of jobs and economic activity is increasing.

We know for a fact, (100% certainty) when it comes to the first round of offices i.e. Telus / Bay Adelaide West / RBC, more jobs were indeed created. Its clear as otherwise the total vacany rate (including sublets) would increase, but that wasn't the case.

Remember all the fear about 13/15% vacancy rates after the first round of offices? It didn't happen. The majority of the older towers have filled up all or a good part of the space made available, the only exception is Commerce court west, still sitting at about 40% vacant.

The majority of the older towers have filled up all or a good part of the space made available, the only exception is Commerce court west, still sitting at about 40% vacant.

Also, dont forget the 500.000 sq.ft. of vacant office space the CBC HQ wants to eventually put out there.

I don't really count that as vacant state today i.e. CBC didn't cut 500,000 square feet worth of jobs, which would amount to thousands, rather very little of the space has been in-use for users, they have also reshuffled a lot of space around.

So in my books, this is 500K of new construction office space now. The problem being I'm sure a firm would rather be in a new development then here. Though the floor plates are amazing ... huge !

Back