Is Allan Gardens still being used as a staging area?

I'm sure Toronto doesn't really stand out among other cities. We just have more public facilities to redevelop as nothing here is maintained or built to last. It's common for public spaces to have a similar program as they did 100 years ago but, not in Toronto.

Allan Gardens. See https://www.facebook.com/friendsofallangardens/ A major make-over is planned. See: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21435271/FOAG refresh - 160909.pdf
Moss Park. A major renovation is planned once the new 519-sponsored sports centre is built.

Not on social media but thanks for the other link. Regarding Moss Park, for a city frantically trying to grab any green space it can why are we building anything on Moss Park. Surely it should all be green space with any amenities built on the perimeter. Even a block away is fine just don't put any building/tennis court/pool/rec centre on the lot.

Even the military armoury should be torn down and re-located somewhere else. This is one of the last best chances for a 'big' downtown park so we should be maximizing that opportunity.

I'm sure Toronto doesn't really stand out among other cities. We just have more public facilities to redevelop as nothing here is maintained or built to last. It's common for public spaces to have a similar program as they did 100 years ago but, not in Toronto.

Yes, because from the looks of it, by the time the umpteen reports have been written, debated, shelved, revisited, rewritten and reconsulted inflation would have taken hold and all one can afford is a diminished level of expectations that fits into the original budget.

AoD

Not on social media but thanks for the other link. Regarding Moss Park, for a city frantically trying to grab any green space it can why are we building anything on Moss Park. Surely it should all be green space with any amenities built on the perimeter. Even a block away is fine just don't put any building/tennis court/pool/rec centre on the lot.

Even the military armoury should be torn down and re-located somewhere else. This is one of the last best chances for a 'big' downtown park so we should be maximizing that opportunity.

The amount of green space (other than in truly transformative scale) is less important than the quality of it. Moss Park Armory is owned by the Feds - having designs on it and making plans that depend on it moving is unwise.

AoD

Last edited:
Having the downtown Armouries adds another layer to the city. Of course the facility's surroundings could be beautified.

Yes, because from the looks of it, by the time the umpteen reports have been written, debated, shelved, revisited, rewritten and reconsulted inflation would have taken hold and all one can afford is a diminished level of expectations that fits into the original budget.

AoD

Well, that the democratic process for you. We're relying on private development to get things done but, could make better use of tyrants like the Daleys in Chicago.

The amount of green space (other than in truly transformative scale) is less important than the quality of it. Moss Park Armory is owned by the Feds - having designs on it and making plans that depend on it moving is unwise.

AoD
I could be wrong but I think the Moss Park armory site is actually leased to the Feds by the City (like the Fort York one). I have no idea when the leases are up for renewal but I seem to remember that the Fort York one is up in next few years as there was discussion about possible reuse of that site.

I could be wrong but I think the Moss Park armory site is actually leased to the Feds by the City (like the Fort York one). I have no idea when the leases are up for renewal but I seem to remember that the Fort York one is up in next few years as there was discussion about possible reuse of that site.

OT - I think lease for the Fort York Armory goes to 2030 or so.

AoD

December 1, 2016:

This is the first time I have noticed the pole lamp lights turned on. They look awesome. A nice element of these light standards is that when lit they cast a circle of light around the base of each pole. It's very striking.

Last edited:
December 1, 2016:

This is the first time I have noticed the pole lamp lights turned on. They look awesome. A nice element of these light standards is that when lit they cast a circle of light around the base of each pole. It's very striking.

Yes, the Hydro contractor was hooking them all up yesterday afternoon about 3pm. The "pools of light" do look great and you can see them all along Front Street going east from Jarvis as these are the new(ish) 'ceramic metal halide" type of bulb. Of course, THSL has put the older 'orange' bulbs into several of the Front Street fixtures but are (slowly) being educated on how this is all supposed to work!

Great news - thanks DSC! The fountain is also designed to serve as the base for the Christmas tree - I wonder if we will see it installed this season?

AoD

Bernzy1.jpg

Bernzy2.jpg

Bernzy3.jpg

Bernzy4.jpg

Bernzy5.jpg

Bernzy6.jpg

Bernzy7.jpg

Bernzy8.jpg

Bernzy9.jpg

Bernzy10.jpg

Attachments