This may be somewhere in the previous 46 pages, but from the Toronto Archives via this Buzz Buzz article:

View attachment 93769

FullSizeRender_zps7oswu9cp.jpg

Does anybody know the story of the mural? I know that we've come to expect it there but it doesn't seem like it's been there that long to merit any historical significance. I'd rather see the wall clad in red brick like the front of the building. Perhaps, pop out real windows in the process. I'm sure its occupants would appreciate the view into this gorgeous park.

This may be somewhere in the previous 46 pages, but from the Toronto Archives via this Buzz Buzz article:

View attachment 93769

I'm amazed how often I hear people (mostly from drivers) talking about how much better Toronto used to be. "You could see the lake from the Gardiner until it was walled off by a bunch of glass condos", or some shit like that. My advice to them: try getting out of your car instead.

Does anybody know the story of the mural? I know that we've come to expect it there but it doesn't seem like it's been there that long to merit any historical significance. I'd rather see the wall clad in red brick like the front of the building. Perhaps, pop out real windows in the process. I'm sure its occupants would appreciate the view into this gorgeous park.

Not going to happen:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2008/11/24/a_facelift_for_the_flatiron.html

It's not about historical significance (though at almost 40, it's getting there) - it's about sentiments and symbolism. I think the photo you've posted speaks volumes.

AoD

Last edited:
Re cars. I'm sure that for some folks it was easier to get around (by car) back in the day. Now it's a hassle to have a car downtown and depending upon ones viewpoint that is a sore point. personally I will not go downtown by car anymore unless it's a must. The most striking thing in the photo is how many heritage structures must have been lost simply for parking. Crazy.

FullSizeRender_zps7oswu9cp.jpg

The mural is there so that there wouldn't be a blank wall looming over the park. To understand why this wall was an issue, you need to understand the local history. When the Gooderham Building was built in 1892, no one saw that wall. The entire block where Berczy Park is located was built up with commercial buildings, similar to the block on the southside of Front Street. According to Unbuilt Toronto, the buildings around the Gooderham Building were razed to make way for a cultural district of performing arts venues in the 1960s ahead of Canada's centennial in 1967.

It was envisioned to be similar to NYC's Lincoln Center or Montreal's Place des Arts, as the idea of building a district of cultural venues was popular at the time as a form of "urban renewal". For a while, there was a parking lot next to the flatiron building. Ultimately, the funding didn't come through to build all the performing arts venues. Only the St. Lawrence Centre and the O'Keefe Centre (now the Sony Centre) were built.

By the 1970s, Jane Jacobs' influence resulted in a desire to rebuild the neighbourhood as a mixed-income, mixed-use neighbourhood that was walkable, pedestrian friendly, vibrant and attractive. The historic landmarks that survived the 1960s urban renewal wave were restored. Infill projects were built around the Esplanade. Berczy Park was built. The mural was installed so that pedestrians wouldn't have to see the large blank side wall of the iconic flatiron building that wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone.

It's a popular mural for its tromp d'oleil effect, reminding us that no matter how elaborate, facades are thin ornamental layers that are applied to buildings. There's far more to a building than meets the eye on the street. But rather than being overtly serious and philosophical, it's playful and makes the park seem more lively and colourful.

There's no where more appropriate for the mural than a neighbourhood of old buildings and facades. I've seen photos of the mural voted to the front page of Reddit, which has a global audience. If you look closely, you'll notice that the windows in the centre are real. It may not be possible to add more windows without extensive modifications to the building because of its structural form. Perhaps we can make the wall better, but it's a great mural that has become a distinctive feature of the building on its own.

Last edited:
The mural is one of the few playful art pieces in Toronto. I think the new context for it (the dog fountain) shows it off extremely well. And that is disregarding the deeper point is makes about urbanism.

The mural is there so that there wouldn't be a blank wall looming over the park. To understand why this wall was an issue, you need to understand the local history. When the Gooderham Building was built in 1892, no one saw that wall. The entire block where Berczy Park is located was built up with commercial buildings, similar to the block on the southside of Front Street. According to Unbuilt Toronto, the buildings around the Gooderham Building were razed to make way for a cultural district of performing arts venues in the 1960s ahead of Canada's centennial in 1967.

It was envisioned to be similar to NYC's Lincoln Center or Montreal's Place des Arts, as the idea of building a district of cultural venues was popular at the time as a form of "urban renewal". For a while, there was a parking lot next to the flatiron building. Ultimately, the funding didn't come through to build all the performing arts venues. Only the St. Lawrence Centre and the O'Keefe Centre (now the Sony Centre) were built.

By the 1970s, Jane Jacobs' influence resulted in a desire to rebuild the neighbourhood as a mixed-income, mixed-use neighbourhood that was walkable, pedestrian friendly, vibrant and attractive. The historic landmarks that survived the 1960s urban renewal wave were restored. Infill projects were built around the Esplanade. Berczy Park was built. The mural was installed so that pedestrians wouldn't have to see the large blank side wall of the iconic flatiron building that wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone.

It's a popular mural for its tromp d'oleil effect, reminding us that no matter how elaborate, facades are thin ornamental layers that are applied to buildings. There's far more to a building than meets the eye on the street. But rather than being overtly serious and philosophical, it's playful and makes the park seem more lively and colourful.

There's no where more appropriate for the mural than a neighbourhood of old buildings and facades. I've seen photos of the mural voted to the front page of Reddit, which has a global audience. If you look closely, you'll notice that the windows in the centre are real. It may not be possible to add more windows without extensive modifications to the building because of its structural form. Perhaps we can make the wall better, but it's a great mural that has become a distinctive feature of the building on its own.

Thanks for that. It's exactly the type of background that I was looking for. And this is what makes UrbanToronto such a great community.

I knew about the real windows. I wonder if they're themselves add-ons since this wall was likely facing another wall of a previous building.

Perhaps, the trees and plants at the base of the wall will help cover the blank part of the wall and have the mural emerge above that greenery. Maybe a vine covered wall around the mural could work since the mural itself is hovering in front of the wall and not directly on it.

IMG_6726_zpsq9ig3ofe.jpg

Last edited:
pictures-r-6249.jpg

I guess I'll swoop in here with another historical photo depicting the block junctionist was talking about (from 1898). Berczy Park is a great space now, but it really is a shame we had to lose a whole block of buildings just as beautiful as the Gooderham building to get it.

I guess I'll swoop in here with another historical photo depicting the block junctionist was talking about (from 1898). Berczy Park is a great space now, but it really is a shame we had to lose a whole block of buildings just as beautiful as the Gooderham building to get it.

I feel the same way about Regent Park. Sure, the recent revitalization of it has been well done, but the neighbourhood would have had all the same charm of Cabbagetown had the old buildings been preserved.

Walked through on Wednesday on my way to lunch. Really beautiful. Some observations:

1. The raised park/gravel under the mural is very nice and a much better feature than the sunken cement benches, but it's not an off-leash area at all. I hope dog owners treat it with respect, but I'm skeptical.

2. The walkway straight out the doors from 33 Yonge has been grassed over, but not raised. They'll need a fence, or that'll be a dirt path by June.

3. Fran's all of a sudden has one of the best patios downtown, and this'll really enhance the Flatiron pub's patio as well.

Back