very often, and presumably quite loud. this is CP's main freight line, there are a ton of large freight trains rumbling through all the time.

I grew up about 100m from the tracks; couldn't really hear them with the windows closed, but the really heavy ones traveling egregiously fast literally shook the house a bit.

I get that you can't boot out CP cold turkey, but I do think there should be significant additional speed- and safety-related restrictions placed on the corridor.

Used to live in the area and I always loved walking by this building. I'm disappointed to see it go, but it is slightly lessened given Teeple's strong track record.

I also have a fair share of memories regarding this buiding. Along with the glass warehouse at Dovercourt and several other buildings, they represent an important part of Dupont's industrial history.

I grew up about 100m from the tracks; couldn't really hear them with the windows closed, but the really heavy ones traveling egregiously fast literally shook the house a bit.

I get that you can't boot out CP cold turkey, but I do think there should be significant additional speed- and safety-related restrictions placed on the corridor.

There are growing concerns about the fact that CP runs trains carrying oil through the corridor. Concerned people imagine an incident like Lac-Mégantic happening adjacent to thousands of people living in houses and condos along the corridor.

Interior renders from the latest Tridel email:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 806
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 766
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 738
There are growing concerns about the fact that CP runs trains carrying oil through the corridor. Concerned people imagine an incident like Lac-Mégantic happening adjacent to thousands of people living in houses and condos along the corridor.

What would need to be done for CP to divert those toxic trans to another route?

Exactly. A Lac Megantic-type disaster could be orders of magnitude worse than that tragedy given the higher density along this and many other stretches of this corridor through the city.

What would need to be done for CP to divert those toxic trans to another route?

They'd have to build another route. Lots of people want the CN York subdivision doubled with a CP line beside it, so that most freights could be routed around the city. This line could then be left for a new GO route.

Of course it's not that simple, and not cheap.

The CP line itself passes through some of the densest parts of York Region. It sort of just shifts it from one population area to another. Though moving forward, I expect densities to be much higher along the current CP line than the CN bypass line.

it is also important to remember that Laq Magentic is one of the worst freight disasters in modern history. It is far from the norm, and occurred under specific circumstances that do not occur along this corridor. The chances of it occurring along this corridor are extremely, extremely small.

The CP line itself passes through some of the densest parts of York Region. It sort of just shifts it from one population area to another. Though moving forward, I expect densities to be much higher along the current CP line than the CN bypass line.

it is also important to remember that Laq Magentic is one of the worst freight disasters in modern history. It is far from the norm, and occurred under specific circumstances that do not occur along this corridor. The chances of it occurring along this corridor are extremely, extremely small.

How so? I get that accidents like that happen infrequently (thankfully), but there's highly explosive material transported along this corridor through, and we've already seen a derailment along this very Dupont corridor this year.

the train had stopped for a crew change, and the brakes were not properly applied, causing the train to roll out down the tracks unmanned and derail at a sharp corner in the middle of the town. Crew changes don't occur along the CP line through downtown, and there are no sharp curves. I don't believe the grades are nearly as steep either.

Lac Magantic was a very specific situation. The chances of a CP train gaining enough speed and all of the various safety brake features on board failing to the point required for a Lac Magantic type disaster are near infinitely small. It was a small spur shortline railway with nothing close to the safety prowess of the big guys like CP, on poorly maintained track, in a very, very specific situation. Spending billions to prevent it elsewhere is silly, since the vast majority of chances state that it won't happen anywhere else, especially not on the mainline Of CP nowhere close to a yard, sharp turn, at grade crossing, etc.

Interior gutting of the Mono Lino building has started last week, from what I could see through the open windows (cables hanging from the ceiling, mostly, and a yellow warning sign on the front door).

Back