Not attacking you personally, but do we really have to resort to wording like this? It's the sort of thing that is used in the Middle East or South Asia and doesn't belong in a developed, western democracy IMO. Even better is when we have mobs of people saying it repeatedly as some sort of political statement, when it only makes them look like small minded bullies.

Is shame really that bad of a word?

Is shame really that bad of a word?
It's not the word itself - it's the implications and usage. It's one thing to say "They ought to be ashamed of the state of repairs" - that's entirely fine - but to climb onto a pedestal and repeat "Shame, shame" is different. Might as well accuse them of being witches and start the bonfires. Public shaming is part of bass-ackwards cultures that Canadians claim to be more enlightened than, but it's sure a convenient way for certain groups to claim superiority to others when they see fit. I just find it distasteful and beneath us, really.

Last edited:
^ Are you kidding???

As for the Bloor Street make-over, what an improvement! Hopefully other areas will be inspired.

Agreed. It really is the closest thing in Toronto that approaches the idea of 'grand' thoroughfare. I'd love to see it truly fill that role in every sense.

Say University Avenue - the current state of affairs is a disgrace.

AoD

When someone like Shangri-la builds on University, are there directed 'parks and improvement' style funds (I know there's almost always an art budget, etc. added to a lot of condo approvals)? Could that cash go to improving University Avenue itself?

One problem with improving University is that there really is no alternative to N/S travel on the west side of downtown. A Bloor-style makeover for the whole of the street would be a nightmare. However, what if you were to make an example of, say, the blocks from Shangri-la to the US Embassy? (Roughly Adelaide to north of Queen) If it really improved the streetscape, allowed 250 University to put in that iconic resto they keep talking about, etc., would people love it enough to push for the rest?

RRR:

I would imagine there might be s37 funds - but in the absence of an actual plan, any money spent on streetscaping might turn out to be quite the waste. Personally I don't think it'd be quite the nightmare as Bloor - the main issue causing traffic problems in that case is the utilities redo, which might not be the case for University. Actually come to think of it, any plan should include part of Queen Street as well, at least between Osgoode and Old City Hall.

AoD

A Bloor-style makeover for the whole of the street would be a nightmare. However, what if you were to make an example of, say, the blocks from Shangri-la to the US Embassy? (Roughly Adelaide to north of Queen)

I know I'm nitpicking but I couldn't help it.. It's the U.S. Consulate, not Embassy. The U.S. Embassy is that enormous building in Ottawa.

That's all. :) For the record I agree with you, though I think it should go all the way up to Queen's Park.

Well, then there are the museums & U of T - all the way to Bloor!

That should be coupled with a comprehensive rethinking of the Queen's Park precinct; the forecourt of the legislature as well as treating Univ. Ave. as an extension of the park.

AoD

Since we're throwing out ideas, I have always thought that repaving Queen's Park between Bloor and the beginning of the split around the park as a single surface from the ROM to the east side so it could function as an event space would create a truly grand and well-located public venue for outdoor events. I am not suggesting permanently shutting it off to traffic. Imagine grey granite matching Bloor Street.

I know I'm nitpicking but I couldn't help it.. It's the U.S. Consulate, not Embassy. The U.S. Embassy is that enormous building in Ottawa.

That's all. :) For the record I agree with you, though I think it should go all the way up to Queen's Park.

Yes, you are nitpicking. My bad. The bolding was quite a shot, tho... ;-)

It's not the word itself - it's the implications and usage. It's one thing to say "They ought to be ashamed of the state of repairs" - that's entirely fine - but to climb onto a pedestal and repeat "Shame, shame" is different. Might as well accuse them of being witches and start the bonfires. Public shaming is part of bass-ackwards cultures that Canadians claim to be more enlightened than, but it's sure a convenient way for certain groups to claim superiority to others when they see fit. I just find it distasteful and beneath us, really.

I've hearded "Shame!" chanted at protests and political rallies in Canada. It must be appropriate in some contexts, but not in this one because no one has been wronged in any serious way.

Since we're throwing out ideas, I have always thought that repaving Queen's Park between Bloor and the beginning of the split around the park as a single surface from the ROM to the east side so it could function as an event space would create a truly grand and well-located public venue for outdoor events. I am not suggesting permanently shutting it off to traffic. Imagine grey granite matching Bloor Street.

Such paving would be great and very appropriate for the space. I'd use traditional granite blocks instead of the modern look of granite slabs because of all the grand, historic architecture along Queen's Park. I'd also consider reconfiguring Queen's Park North to have an urban square for events.

The building on the s/e corner of Bloor & Church (175 Bloor E.) have been tearing up their plaza space for the past month or so. Today I see they are not replacing the concrete & brown marble tiles, instead they are carrying the granite into their space to match the sidewalk. Now if St. Paul's Anglican Church, The Manulife Centre, The Colonnade and the owners of the Club Monaco building at Bloor & Ave. Rd. would take a cue, Bloor Street would truly be complete.

Last edited:

Back