^ I actually currently work in the building on the NE corner, and though the construction is pretty annoying, it will look much better when completed.

The building on the s/e corner of Bloor & Church (175 Bloor E.) have been tearing up their plaza space for the past month or so. Today I see they are not replacing the concrete & brown marble tiles, instead they are carrying the granite into their space to match the sidewalk. Now if St. Paul's Anglican Church, The Manulife Centre, The Colonnade and the owners of the Club Monaco building at Bloor & Ave. Rd. would take a cue, Bloor Street would truly be complete.

So that's what they've been doing. I have also noticed they took down the sun shades (not sure what they are called) above the stores. I am hoping they are going to put up new ones, as it looks rather empty without them. Seems the entire building is a construction zone with work being done in the underground parking area as well.

Toronto Hydro seems to be stringing overhead wires on some of the the streetlights on Bloor between Church and Jarvis. They've also installed fittings on some of the light poles, suggesting more wires are to come. I understand we're stuck with the frontier-town esthetic on most streets, but WTF??? I thought the point of spending all that money on this stretch of Bloor was to beautify it, and this was one of the few Toronto streets where the hydro lines were already underground.

Toronto Hydro seems to be stringing overhead wires on some of the the streetlights on Bloor between Church and Jarvis. They've also installed fittings on some of the light poles, suggesting more wires are to come. I understand we're stuck with the frontier-town esthetic on most streets, but WTF??? I thought the point of spending all that money on this stretch of Bloor was to beautify it, and this was one of the few Toronto streets where the hydro lines were already underground.

Is this another case of Toronto Hydro installing new overhead wires where the city specifically made the investment to have buried wires like on University Avenue and Queen's Park Crescent? If so, our streetscapes are being degraded, and that's completely unacceptable. It's one thing not to improve things, but completely worse to see the investments we actually made trashed.

Dec 12
6509170437_4451141e15_b.jpg

6509286303_33941ffd41_b.jpg

6509287113_5c6854d022_b.jpg

Good photos drum, Bloor Street looks sensational and I really like these new decorations and lighting (and I'm not a big fan of Christmas!). I had some iPhone snaps but they turned out crap so I didn't post them.

I inquired about the artwork that was supposed to go up at Y&B and got the following response.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for inquiring about the sculpture.

Yes, the sculpture (s) are going ahead. There will be 1 on Y+B and 2 on Bay and Bloor. (They are a surprise)

In the interim, there is a 5 m Christmas tree that will be installed tomorrow for the season, as a placeholder.

We will be reviewing the tenders for the fabrication of the sculpture in January, with installation to start (with base) in Spring.

Regards

Suzanne Hajdu

Urban Design Coordinator

Bloor-Yorkville BIA

55 Bloor Street West, Suite 220

Toronto, ON M4W 1A5

Last edited:
Seems a bit late to be installing a christmas tree. Should have been done after Halloween.

Seems a bit late to be installing a christmas tree. Should have been done after Halloween.

Isn't it a "Holiday Tree"? ;)

Back